Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

"Taboo" final episode Season One.
  • It might have been five decades ago when three-dimensional chess made its way on to TV via Spock in "Star Trek," but thinking ahead on multiple dimensions, anticipating your opponents next eighteen moves - and having a counter strategy in place for each - manipulating every other player and pulling off one opponent-crushing "checkmate" move after another has never been better visualized than by Delaney's plans and actions in "Taboo."
  • In the morally warped world of "Taboo," the first time I somewhat respected the Prince Regent was when he said, basically, the hell with the rules of chess, I want Delaney dead - kill him. It was an acknowledgement that he couldn't out fox him, so his plan B was brute force backed up by the power of the sovereign. It's a "I want to win, fair or not" strategy that showed conviction and a recognition of his own limitations. Not moral, but not limp either, as he'd been up to then
  • In the crazy meta-world of Delaney and Zilpha, where water is a conduit to another existential plane, attempting to kill oneself by jumping in the Thames is like trying to drown a fish - it ain't going to work. Zilpha is still with us / with Delaney / ready to bring fresh crazy next season
  • Manipulative of the viewer's emotions as it was, I don't care: I rooted for Delaney's crew of misfits, whores, vagabonds, street urchins and hired hands to beat back the British troops and, by the time they unfurled the flag, I was emotionally drained but fully rooting for that undersized ship to carry-on
  • Bring on Season Two

Last edited:
"Feud" - the first episode of the FX mini-series based on Bette Davis and Joan Crawford's "relationship" during the making of the movie "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane."
  • The series has an over-stylized look that basically works as the series is a bit exaggerated / isn't taking itself too seriously.
  • I don't know the intimate details of the Davis-Crawford relationship, but based on my surface knowledge, it seems reasonably accurate. However, you can feel poetic license is being employed
  • Susan Sarandon is pulling off Bette Davis better than Jessica Lange is Joan Crawford. I know this because I am not abjectly afraid of Lange's Crawford the way I always am of the real-deal Crawford. Also, Sarandon has nailed down Davis' mannerisms better
  • It is cool / odd to see "Don Draper's older daughter" playing Bette Davis' daughter - first time I've seen her in any other role
  • Hard to see them dragging eight episodes or more out of this not-dense material

For the first time in ages, I "flipped" through regular broadcast and cable channels looking for something.

Nothing.

Caught some "news". A bit of Conan O'Brien.

Yawn...

Regular broadcast truly has become your Dad's Oldsmobile. Once in awhile, a show like "The Black List" pops up, but it's not worth dredging through the swamp for the one or two good one: you just wait until they come to Netflix or Amazon or somewhere where you can stream it without commercials and enjoy it then. The old model's breaking and networks are going to shattered sooner or later.

Regular broadcast truly has become your Dad's Oldsmobile. Once in awhile, a show like "The Black List" pops up, but it's not worth dredging through the swamp for the one or two good one: you just wait until they come to Netflix or Amazon or somewhere where you can stream it without commercials and enjoy it then. The old model's breaking and networks are going to shattered sooner or later.

True, but in addition to "The Blacklist," I still watch "Supernatural," "Gotham," and "S.H.I.E.L.D."

And "The Simpsons."

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Completely agree on the first episode of Feud.

Nice production despite some tonal confusion, some good performances (I liked Stanley Tucci as Jack Warner), some degree of historical accuracy... but I couldn't work up any enthusiasm. I should be loving it, but I'm unsure if I'm gonna make it all the way through.

I've seen Kiernan Shipka in a couple of things, but she'll always be Sally Draper! (I'd like to see her star in a sequel in a few years, about adult Sally coping with a crazy life, including now dirty old man Don... and still dealing with everything he put her through as a kid. Suggested title: No Amount of Therapy.)

Last edited:

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
True, but in addition to "The Blacklist," I still watch "Supernatural," "Gotham," and "S.H.I.E.L.D."

And "The Simpsons."

We too watch Supernatural on CW, Gotham on our CTV network, and Big Bang Theory. I watch Bates Motel on A&E too.

Other than that, everything's on one of the cooler networks, and often we come across shows well into their development, buy and binge or as you say, "Netflix" which I gather is now a verb.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Those of you in OZ have probably heard of this show, but this is the first for me, Mighty Cars Mods. Kind of funny, may watch a few more.

... but I couldn't work up any enthusiasm. I should be loving it, but I'm unsure if I'm gonna make it all the way through.

I was surprised by this feeling as well. I'm their target audience and I felt meh about it. I'll stay with it for at least another episode.

C...I've seen Kiernan Shipka in a couple of things, but she'll always be Sally Draper! (I'd like to see her star in a sequel in a few years, about adult Sally coping with a crazy life, including now dirty old man Don... and still dealing with everything he put her through as a kid. Suggested title: No Amount of Therapy.)

And the the thing is, her mother was no better - just a bad / crazy parent in a different way. I almost think the mother was worse as Sally probably figured out her dad was half crackers as a parent, but in his own half-crackers way, did try to prepare her for life. Fair or not, her mom was left to be the day-to-day stabilizing / grounding force in her life and she failed terribly at that. And was sometimes petty and vindictive toward her children.

My dad had some of Don in him - not the cheating, boozing part - but the only engaged with me on his terms and occasionally. And when he did, I was basically talked to as an adult, even in grammar school. "Lessons" would be barked out in single sentence - "absorb it or not kid" seemed to be the approach. I got, even as a kid, that he was different as a parent, some of my friends had regular dads, but it is what it is. I look back and realize it was kinda crazy, but I did learn a lot from him - maybe Sally would feel similar. My girlfriend calls it abuse, but I sincerely don't see it that way as I don't think that was driving it at all, with my dad or with Don toward Sally. But Betty, I do think she was abusive toward her kids.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
  • In the morally warped world of "Taboo," the first time I somewhat respected the Prince Regent was when he said, basically, the hell with the rules of chess, I want Delaney dead - kill him. It was an acknowledgement that he couldn't out fox him, so his plan B was brute force backed up by the power of the sovereign. It's a "I want to win, fair or not" strategy that showed conviction and a recognition of his own limitations. Not moral, but not limp either, as he'd been up to then
I like this perspective. Thanks. I hadn't considered it. Sort of how the movie Gladiator went...until it didn't.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Gigantor the space age robot... he's at your command!"

The funniest things about "Gigantor" are the names... "Dick Strong", "Inspector Blooper" etc... and how Gigantor changes size/scale all the times... Sometimes big as a building, other times small enough for a kid to touch mid calf.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a pretty safe bet that the original Japanese-language names were a little less silly. The same thing happened when other Japanese animated series were dubbed for US TV in the sixties - see Astro Boy, Eighth Man, Speed Racer, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points