Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Anybody else watching the second season of "Love" on Netflix? It's okay at best, but for some reason we keep coming back to watch the two leads - who are both train wrecks - and all their train-wreck friends fumble away the good opportunities in their lives owing to their inability to control their emotions, stick to a solid plan or delay gratification. I'm not proud I watch this, but for some reason, we can't stop.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Americans. just found out that next season is it. They're planning to end it. Planning an ending. Not for lack of ratings, either. They're filming it right now. I appreciate shows that have a planned ending. They aren't going to try to milk this sucker for everything its worth.

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
Last night, a recorded Blacklist Redemption. It can get a little confusing from time to time: who's playing who? And has anyone else noticed how much of the action sequences are in basements, abandoned warehouses, and industrial hallways? Or do I sleep through the fights that are staged in high-end apartments filled with priceless antiques?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Titanic's Fatal Fire. Almost didn't watch, but sure am glad I did. Turns out she was on fire for weeks before she sailed! Very interesting!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Pillars Of the Earth" - Several years ago Puddin' watched "World Without End" a mini series based on Ken Follett's book of the same title... She's a sucker for costume dramas... I only watch em if there's gratuitous armed bloodshed, you know sieges, battles, mayhem etc... After devouring WWE she wanted to see the first mini-series. Search as I could, I couldn't find it. None of the streaming services (at the time) were offering it. So, as an early birthday present I bought the POTE on Bluray... It arrived in the mail on Friday.... she didn't come up for air till 8 hours later!!!!!! I'm down with a wicked head and chest cold so I didn't care cept every other minute someone was being tortured, maimed, kilt, ravaged, folded, spindled AND mutilated in 5.1 DTS sound! Sigh... the things we do for love.

Worf

"Pillars Of the Earth" - Several years ago Puddin' watched "World Without End" a mini series based on Ken Follett's book of the same title... She's a sucker for costume dramas... I only watch em if there's gratuitous armed bloodshed, you know sieges, battles, mayhem etc... After devouring WWE she wanted to see the first mini-series. Search as I could, I couldn't find it. None of the streaming services (at the time) were offering it. So, as an early birthday present I bought the POTE on Bluray... It arrived in the mail on Friday.... she didn't come up for air till 8 hours later!!!!!! I'm down with a wicked head and chest cold so I didn't care cept every other minute someone was being tortured, maimed, kilt, ravaged, folded, spindled AND mutilated in 5.1 DTS sound! Sigh... the things we do for love.

Worf
'tis the season for W.H.C.C. around here as well. The House of ToE knows your woe. Get some rest and earplugs and get better sooner than later so you too can enjoy some bloody mayhem.
:D

The idea of the fire isn't new -https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/community/threads/titanic-on-fire.17581/

Interesting theory, but in the end, just that, a theory.

Thank you.

I found this "Thermal Inversion" theory one very interesting and a bit compelling: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ink-because-of-an-optical-illusion-102040309/

It does explain a lot of the formerly, seemingly random and unexplainable occurrences, but again and as you said re the fire, it is just a theory, and in this case, formed ~100 years after.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Son. the new Saturday night Western on AMC. I didn't care for the Brosnan casting, but I'm really enjoying this one so far. Possibly too many characters and not enough development of what they already have, but we'll see. I'm not really trusting the accuracy of everything. It feels like anachronisms are on the steady. The vernacular seems out of place, and then things like screwed together Adirondack chairs.

The Son. the new Saturday night Western on AMC. I didn't care for the Brosnan casting, but I'm really enjoying this one so far. Possibly too many characters and not enough development of what they already have, but we'll see. I'm not really trusting the accuracy of everything. It feels like anachronisms are on the steady. The vernacular seems out of place, and then things like screwed together Adirondack chairs.
I watched the two-hour premiere last week and I wasn't bowled over, but felt I wanted to see more. Half way through last night's episode I decided I'd seen enough. Solid cast and good performances, but I'm just not interested in seeing the story I think they want to tell.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Report From The Aleutians. Still my favorite of the series! It is interesting to see the mix of prewar and wartime equipment. Especially like the M1917A1 helmets.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I watched the two-hour premiere last week and I wasn't bowled over, but felt I wanted to see more. Half way through last night's episode I decided I'd seen enough. Solid cast and good performances, but I'm just not interested in seeing the story I think they want to tell.
I can definitely see that. It isn't much of an original set of circumstances. Maybe they'll take it somewhere new or twist it into an engaging form, but until that is proven, we aren't on new land here. I find it interesting that AMC, or any network for that matter, is invested in serving a Saturday night demographic. I'd like to see the studies they've done. It has to be focused on 60 and older caucasians. If my assumptions are close, they aren't going to push new ideas or situations. They'll play into everything and anything that population expects and desires; not leaving a lot of creative leeway. Then again, maybe I'm already wrong. We now have a gay character. Who knows? I think it is safe to assume they won't be blazing new trails with this one.

Worf

I read the book back in the early '90s when it came out. I went through a period where I read a bunch of his books - good historical fiction page turners. I've never seen the mini-series, but will keep an eye out for it.

Follett's "Night Over Water" was another fun read that's right in the sweet spot for Fedora Lounge members as it takes place, mainly, aboard a Pan Am Clipper right before the outbreak of WWII.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The series finale of Girls.

I know there's a lot of hate for this show, but I enjoyed the entire run: I thought it improved steadily every season, becoming more sharply observed and fearless, tackling a widening group of characters and issues. It's unfortunate that the series positioned itself as being the voice of a generation ("... or at least, a voice of a generation") and became a lightning rod for social commentary from all sides, because the shouting tended to obscure how well it told the story of its extremely specific, spoiled, slowly-maturing characters. (I always thought that the too-generic title was a big part of the problem: shouldn't it have at least been Brooklyn Girls?!?)

As a 62-year-old male living far north of Brooklyn, I was always WAY off the show's target demographic. But well-observed comedy/drama is universal.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
I have started to watch the first episode of Outlander, the time travel series based on Diana Gabaldon's books (I've read the first two books). It looks quite good and I'm looking forward to catching up on the series so far.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Episode 3, "Bushwhacked," of Firefly. Effective, but as we hear more and more horrible details about these Reavers cats (who apparently make Attila the Hun, Vlad the Impaler, and the Comanches look like rank beginners at pillage and torture), I'm wondering if they'll actually live up to their billing. If we ever see them, of course. 'Twould be just like Joss Whedon to withhold his revelation of them until late in the show's first season, which was truncated before Joss got to that point.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
You know your Whedon, you're exactly correct. The Reavers finally show up in the Serenity feature film, which ties up some (alas, not all!) of the dangling plot threads left from the too-short season.

BTW, after watching the series too many times, I consider Bushwhacked probably its weakest episode. The best are ahead!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points