Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The series finale of Girls.

I know there's a lot of hate for this show, but I enjoyed the entire run: I thought it improved steadily every season, becoming more sharply observed and fearless, tackling a widening group of characters and issues. It's unfortunate that the series positioned itself as being the voice of a generation ("... or at least, a voice of a generation") and became a lightning rod for social commentary from all sides, because the shouting tended to obscure how well it told the story of its extremely specific, spoiled, slowly-maturing characters. (I always thought that the too-generic title was a big part of the problem: shouldn't it have at least been Brooklyn Girls?!?)

As a 62-year-old male living far north of Brooklyn, I was always WAY off the show's target demographic. But well-observed comedy/drama is universal.
I've enjoyed this series a lot. I feel the final handful of episodes were dropped down a gear or two, from roaring down a country road at good speed to a slow roll around town, much like the settings from city to college town. They were good at capturing vibes like that. I think that when it is looked back as a whole, now that we see the final destination, it will be less specific to that generation. With that ending, it is less unique and entirely universal, if not downright trite. A classic story of growth and ending up where many have and many more will be. There's probably a name for this, but I don't know it.

I have to admit I was a little bit underwhelmed by the ending. I'm looking forward to reading some reviews. Certainly not a bad end at all, but lower energy than maybe I was expecting. Expectations. Rarely a good thing.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As all the recaps/reviews pointed out, you got your classic what-happens-to-most-characters sitcom ending in the penultimate episode. The last one is more of an epilogue, showing the final disposition of Hannah and Marnie's best-friendship, and Hannah finally stepping up to adult responsibility. Of course, Hannah's mother is the episode's MVP, putting out major mature wisdom nearly every time she speaks.

The series is both very specific to twentysomethings of today (especially white, privileged, city dwelling ones) and universal to the process of moving beyond your high school and college gang to find your position as a grownup. Minus all the media hype and think-piece noise, it's a pretty familiar coming-of-age story.

Most recent episode of "Feud." If even half of this is true, holy cats did those two hate each other - and for decades, and for good reasons. Also, if true, Davis was more level headed and Crawford a bit unglued. It's like Davis got it - acting is a job and I am a professional, but Crawford saw Hollywood as a royal court where she wanted to be constantly feted as the queen.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
The first three episodes of the Charles Dickens mash-up "Dickensian". Great so far, an interesting take on several Dickensian characters all interacting at the same time (Honoria Barbary, later Dedlock, Fagin and Sykes, Jaggers and Miss Havisham, Scrooge and Marley, etc.).

Most recent "Home Fires"

While not the best story telling, it is good story telling with the characters developing nicely into the second season. And it is beautiful to look at - wonderful, if a bit stylized, time travel to early 1940s England. I'm disappointed there isn't going to be a season three.

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Cooper's Treasure. I did not get very far into it. Allegedly, Gordon 'Gordo' Cooper, while flying the last Mercury mission Faith 7, looked for missile bases, and apparently logged the where about of a bunch of sunken Spanish Galleons. Why didn't he go retrieve the gold in the 50 years since his flight? Another reality show I won't be watching. I wish they would just do an hour documentary about his flight, the longest solo space flight in history!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
A local station has been running the syndicated reruns of Tim Allen's current series, Last Man Standing. It's often very funny in a "Dick van Dyke Show" way, the actresses playing his daughters and wife are lovely, Hector Elizondo has a good deal of fun as Allen's oft-married and oft-divorced business partner, and the entire tone of the scripts is very positive and non-trashy. (The local station is Christian, so you're not going to see Two and a Half Men on it.) Plus it's set in Denver, and the writers refer to actual locations of the Denver area all the time.

And I predict that Molly Ephraim, who looks a little like a young Elizabeth Taylor but really knows how to play comedy, is going to have a good career.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
More episodes of "Dickensian". The central mystery is getting better, and the development of the Miss Havisham/Compeyson arc is actually quite dark and disturbing (in a good way...).

Julian Shellhammer

Practically Family
The first two episodes of the Netflix reboot of Mystery Science Theater 3000. The new show captures the look and vibe of the Joel and the Mike editions quite well. First movie was Reptilicus, followed by Cry Wilderness. The former is very much stuck in it's genre (prehistoric monster let loose on society), the latter is nearly inexplicable.
Biggest change: now my son is explaining the references to me, as opposed to me explaining Robinson & Nelson wisecracks to him.

Watched the first episode of "American Playboy: The Huge Hefner Story"

What a confused mess starting with the almost mocking opening note that this is Hefner's story as he remembers it - said almost tongue in cheek. Hence, you know you're watching a lot of fiction woven into something that approaches a very-favorable-to-Hefner biographical story.

But just as messy is the style that swings between documentary with archival footage, later-in-time interview clips and reenactments that feel very false next to the archival footage. And even the tone is off: Done in what I assume is supposed to be the breezy tone of light news reporting back in the '50s, it just contributes to a not-serious feel that leaves you wondering what exactly you're watching - a fictionalized version of Hefner's life (my guess) or something a bit more accurate (doubt it).

Even the '50s / '60s period details, sets, clothes, etc., are only okay and not up to the standards of shows like "Mad Men," "Call the Midwife" or any decent documentary. And, as always, there's the just-a-bit creepiness of Hefner. Maybe early on, maybe even more than maybe, he was a activist and visionary who helped break down a surface conformity that belied what people really did and wanted to do. But as he morphed into a "creepy uncle" and then "lecherous grandfather," his entire legacy became tainted.

For me, since I already know his / the magazine's basic story, if I'm not getting a reasonably accurate retelling with new information, then I'm not that interested. And, if I'm getting a made-up-by-Hefner hagiography, then I have better ways to spend my time. Might try one more episode, but doubt it.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The new season of Fargo looks to have a great cast. Kirsten Dunst and Jesse Plemons set a high bar for the show. Looking forward to watching this group hopefully meeting the challenge.

This is stretching the theme of this thread but I need a place to vent my sadness. I am NOT watching my beloved Toronto Blue Jays games any longer. So sad that they have tanked this early in the season and dashed my (and many other's) high hopes for the season. However I am reserving the right to jump back on the bandwagon should a miracle occur and they get on a roll.

This is stretching the theme of this thread but I need a place to vent my sadness. I am NOT watching my beloved Toronto Blue Jays games any longer. So sad that they have tanked this early in the season and dashed my (and many other's) high hopes for the season. However I am reserving the right to jump back on the bandwagon should a miracle occur and they get on a roll.

If they're your team, stick with 'em. Even when my Reds are tanking, I say to myself, "Who the hell else are ya gonna root for?"

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

If they're your team, stick with 'em. Even when my Reds are tanking, I say to myself, "Who the hell else are ya gonna root for?"

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
I am more of a fair weather fan. Given that the Jays reside in (the much disliked as they consider themselves the centre of the universe) city of Toronto and I live on the west coast they get my allegiance only by default as the only team in Canada.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto