Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Season Finale of "The Orville" - Hate to say it but this show is growing on me. Yeah it was a recycled plot from DS9/STNG but it was different enough to make me say "well done".

First double episode of "Marvel's - Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." I still love this show. And the new setting is compelling. I'll keep watching.

Worf

Just completed watching season one of "Ozark". I struggled in the beginning as the characters, esp the Ozarkians. They seemed very much a coastal elitist conception of Ozark folk. But the characters evened out and became less cartoonish as it developed.. I enjoyed it, thought Bateman did a great job carrying the show. I will watch season two.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Working my way through the second season of The Crown. I'm liking it more than the first season, partly because Elizabeth has far more agency during this period, though Claire Foy's performance still largely consists of reacting to things by pursing her lips and looking concerned. And it's still an overcooked production, with overkill opulence and sequences that are downright epic... even when it's not actually required by the main plot and is just table-setting color (e.g., location sequences of the Suez conflict, Russians in Ghana, Kennedy assassination).

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Another Fugitive from 1963: "Terror at High Point." Despite the melodramatic title, this is a solid drama. Kimble is working as a "timekeeper" at a Utah desert construction site. He befriends Jamie, a young retarded man -- and finds himself defending the boy when the latter is accused of "attacking" (the word "rape" is never used) the foreman's wife Ruth, played by Elizabeth Allen. An early and still dramatic role for Jack Klugman as the foreman, and for James Best as a sleazy equipment driver with a lecherous eye for Ruth.

Next week's episode, if MeTV follows the broadcast order, is an important one which fleshes out Kimble's back story. Should be cool.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
First four episodes of season 2 of The Crown. Gosh, I want to smack Philip. He is just so AGGRIEVED that his wife is the queen and he simply cannot HANDLE it. He's like a petulant child. I want to box his ears and say, "This is what you signed up for!" Maybe not as soon as he thought as Elizabeth's father was still alive when they got married, but still!

I have to wonder if his behavior is true to life or embellished for dramatic purposes.

First four episodes of season 2 of The Crown. Gosh, I want to smack Philip. He is just so AGGRIEVED that his wife is the queen and he simply cannot HANDLE it. He's like a petulant child. I want to box his ears and say, "This is what you signed up for!" Maybe not as soon as he thought as Elizabeth's father was still alive when they got married, but still!

I have to wonder if his behavior is true to life or embellished for dramatic purposes.

Haven't seen episode 1 season 2 yet, but what you describe is how Phillip behaved throughout season 1 and my girlfriend and I said the same thing time and again: you signed up to marry a queen, so stop complaining that you are married to a queen / story acting like a spoiled child.

Good question though - how true to history is his behavior? Anyone here (calling our UK friends) knowledgable about that?

3fingers

One Too Many
Haven't seen episode 1 season 2 yet, but what you describe is how Phillip behaved throughout season 1 and my girlfriend and I said the same thing time and again: you signed up to marry a queen, so stop complaining that you are married to a queen / story acting like a spoiled child.

Good question though - how true to history is his behavior? Anyone here (calling our UK friends) knowledgable about that?
Oh my, that's a disappointment. I had hoped he would get over that for this season.
Elizabeth needs to tell him "I have enough to worry about without having you show your *ss every time you are miffed." Probably won't happen though.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Puddin's engrossed in "The Crown" - Season 2. Oh those royals! I knew Edward had ahen... Nazi leanings but wow he actually did dirt, cost allied lives. Phew he should've been hung.

Worf

Edward

Bartender

I've never watched the show, but it has long been said that Philip never got over the fact that their children took her name and not his, and complained bitterly about it for years. What's gonig to be interesting is whether they skirt the truth about...... the relevant parties and their extra-curricular activities. Many stories over the years, but English libel laws are not always friends to publication, even where true. I'm actually surprised they're taking on this period while the main players are still alive, given how much of the story they'll have to excise.

Puddin's engrossed in "The Crown" - Season 2. Oh those royals! I knew Edward had ahen... Nazi leanings but wow he actually did dirt, cost allied lives. Phew he should've been hung.

Worf

The whole abdication crisis was based on his Nazi leanings. To their credit, the great British pulbic have never elected an open Nazi sympathiser to high office, but becasue the hereditary principle works on the basis of get what you're given, the monarchy put one on the throne. Trouble was, when the government of the day decided this really wouldn't do, they couldn't openly get rid of him because of that on the basis that half the aristocracy of the time were pro-Hitler, as were elements of the popular press. The public at large were signiicantly more servile / deferential than would be the case today, which didn't help. Thus was invented the whole "can't have a king marry a divorcee / gives up the throne for love" mythology. Of course, Simpson herself was, if anything, even more pro-Nazi. She was in bed with Von Ribbontrop - quite literally: she was his mistress before Edward. (There is evidence, if memory serves, to the effect that these relationships partially overlapped in timeframe.) Of course, Eddie - or David, as he preferred to be known - was always a nasty piece of work anyhow, and desperately didn't want to be king. It has been reported that when his father died leaving him on the throne, in a fit of temper he ordered his father's entire pack of prize hunting hounds shot. Later, he considered an offer from Berlin to replace his brother as Hitler's puppet king in the event of Nazi victory, but declined only because he rightly deduced that the tide of the war was turning. By all accounts he remained sympathetic to Naziism long after the war.

It's cetainly true that both David and Wallis gossiped about military matters to which he asx party and cost lives early in the war; this is why they were shipped off to the Bahamas out of harm's way.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The first five minutes of the pilot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Fading Fast, I know you like it, but it immediately turned me off. I found it just too arch, cartoonishly broad and strident, and I didn't remotely believe in its recreated 1958. And speaking as a Jew, its immediate reliance on a bunch of dead-horse-trope stereotypes was distressing. Right off the bat, it just feels like another carefully calculated to impress 2017 streaming series, not an instantly believable period piece a la Mad Men. (Admittedly, that's a high bar.)

Full disclosure: I've never watched a second of Gilmore Girls, so the whole Amy Sherman-Palladino overloaded dialog thing is lost on me.

I may go back to it at some point for another try, but with so much "content" to wade through these days, maybe not.

The first five minutes of the pilot of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Fading Fast, I know you like it, but it immediately turned me off. I found it just too arch, cartoonishly broad and strident, and I didn't remotely believe in its recreated 1958. And speaking as a Jew, its immediate reliance on a bunch of dead-horse-trope stereotypes was distressing. Right off the bat, it just feels like another carefully calculated to impress 2017 streaming series, not an instantly believable period piece a la Mad Men. (Admittedly, that's a high bar.)

Full disclosure: I've never watched a second of Gilmore Girls, so the whole Amy Sherman-Palladino overloaded dialog thing is lost on me.

I may go back to it at some point for another try, but with so much "content" to wade through these days, maybe not.

I appreciate that you gave it a shot. The pilot is the weakest of all the episodes. That said, it is intentionally arch, but it reins it in over the season as the story gets deeper and the characters more developed.

It seems that shows today (sometimes) get much better after several episodes - the "The Last Tycoon" on Amazon falls into this category. I'd also put TMMM in that camp, but understand if you don't want to stick around.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Well as you may recall, I also quit The Last Tycoon after watching the pilot. (It actually made me appreciate the old Elia Kazan/Robert De Niro feature film adaptation more.) Based on your recommendation, I may give TMMM another shot... if I eventually get some time.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Another episode of The Crown. Quite good - dealt with Lord Altrincham and his critique of the monarchy. I'd not heard of this before so it was quite illuminating.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Counterpart. new Starz series. The pilot was promising. J. K. Simmons does a nice job playing two characters, but I like him as actor and character anyway. He has a good voice. It's not unusual, but it seems to be a trend. Fargo. American Horror Story.

Twilight Theater, a 1982 comedy variety show pilot produced by Steve Martin which was considered as a possible replacement for SNL which was tanking in the ratings at that time. In the show are appearances by Pee Wee Herman and Devo. I even like the actual 1980s commercials.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112