Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
My mother was the same way. She had no use for "Star Track" or "Doctor Spock," but thought the Lost in Space robot was hilarious.

For some reason my mom developed an old lady crush on Shatner when he was playing T.J. Hooker in the cop drama of the same name. She thought that he was "sexy" when he was running in pursuit of a bad guy. And she had a similar crush on the handyman character, Schneider, in that Bonnie Franklin/ Valarie Bertinelli sitcom, "One Day At a Time." I always thought that the guy came across as unbathed and unsophisticated, and never understood the attraction to either him or Shatner.

For some reason my mom developed an old lady crush on Shatner when he was playing T.J. Hooker in the cop drama of the same name. She thought that he was "sexy" when he was running in pursuit of a bad guy. And she had a similar crush on the handyman character, Schneider, in that Bonnie Franklin/ Valarie Bertinelli sitcom, "One Day At a Time." I always thought that the guy came across as unbathed and unsophisticated, and never understood the attraction to either him or Shatner.

My grandmother developed (but wouldn't admit it) a crush on Joe Namath which was eye opening for me as a six year old as it forced me to think of my grandmother as a woman and not just my grandmother. She also really liked David Janssen from the TV show "The Fugitive" a whole lot.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother was, and still is, that way about Rico Petrocelli, something about those dark Italian eyes. Although later on she let her attentions wander toward Dwight Evans, and nowadays she admits that Jim Rice has aged into an extremely good-looking man.

As for TV actors, all the smart gals knew that Doctor McCoy was the real dreamboat on "Star Trek."

OldStrummer

Practically Family
What is this "TV" of which you speak?

I just read one of those "amazing facts" articles about the weird endings to popular tv series. Other than The Sopranos, I had never watched a single one (Seinfeld, Cheers, St. Elsewhere, etc.).

My life is better for it.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Watched the first three episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I enjoyed it and look forward to the rest. I must say, though, as a woman whose husband cheated on her, I expected a bit more of a breakdown from Midge! That was rather unbelievable, IMO, but I'm overlooking it because I enjoy the show - and the costumes and the sets. GORGEOUS!

Watched the first three episodes of The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I enjoyed it and look forward to the rest. I must say, though, as a woman whose husband cheated on her, I expected a bit more of a breakdown from Midge! That was rather unbelievable, IMO, but I'm overlooking it because I enjoy the show - and the costumes and the sets. GORGEOUS!

And it gets better. The speed-dialogue delivery is amazing and the story and characters develop more depth and nuance.

I think - as you'll see - the cheating / breakup hit her hard, but one of the ways she copes is by trying to keep her surface / outward response calm.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Currently watching a local PBS special called "Foods of Chicago: A Delicious History". It's certainly making me hungry for a Maxwell Street hot dog. Though, this footage of Tootsie Rolls is making my sweet tooth throb.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
My grandmother developed (but wouldn't admit it) a crush on Joe Namath which was eye opening for me as a six year old as it forced me to think of my grandmother as a woman and not just my grandmother. She also really liked David Janssen from the TV show "The Fugitive" a whole lot.
Janssen was a favorite of my mother as well. She pointed out how much he looked (in the Fugitive days) like a young, pre-mustache Clark Gable.

A pretty good clue who my mom's favorite '30s-'40s movie star was, don't y' think?

Janssen was a favorite of my mother as well. She pointed out how much he looked (in the Fugitive days) like a young, pre-mustache Clark Gable.

A pretty good clue who my mom's favorite '30s-'40s movie star was, don't y' think?

Worse than discovering that my grandmother liked Namath or Janssen is when my, at that time, in-her-seventies mother told me about her Ben Gazzara crush while we sat next to him in a NYC restaurant by chance one night. I all but had to put my hands to my ears and chant "nanananana!" to get her to stop.

Hmmm......

Even as a kid watching Star Trek I thought that Bones was a tad too old to be flying in a space ship.
DeForest Kelley was only 46 years old when the series premiered, and hadn't reached the age of 50 before the last episode aired. He was the oldest of the seven "main cast" actors, but was only two months older than James Doohan. And I have to agree with Benzadmiral--if you're exploring that far from home, you'd want experienced medical personnel. That being said, by the time they got around to Star Trek V and VI I did think Kelley was getting a bit long-in-the-tooth and looked rather frail.

DeForest Kelley was only 46 years old when the series premiered, and hadn't reached the age of 50 before the last episode aired. He was the oldest of the seven "main cast" actors, but was only two months older than James Doohan. And I have to agree with Benzadmiral--if you're exploring that far from home, you'd want experienced medical personnel. That being said, by the time they got around to Star Trek V and VI I did think Kelley was getting a bit long-in-the-tooth and looked rather frail.

It didn't help that he had an "old" face even young (when he pops up on a "Gunsmoke" or somewhere you see him young) with a lot of creases that only got deeper.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider