Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Justified: Seasons 1 and 2- above average police procedural with charismatic Timothy Olyphant in the lead. To be a great show it needed more inventive dialogue and plotting. Despite being uneven, it's often highly watchable.

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
The Queen at 90. I admit it, I love following the royal family. The Queen is quite remarkable, stayimg as active as she does at ger age.

"The Real Inglorious Bastards" documentary
  • These guys were really, truly tough
  • And smart as heck to as they improvised - a lot - along the way (in enemy territory, with torture and death the penalty for failure)
  • And nerves of steel (you could still see the resolve in their faces to this day [2012])
I was impressed through and through. I get completely that the narrative of the country pulling together and everyone selflessly fighting the war from the battlefield to the home front was a happy-slappy narrative versus the complexity - and not-always-wonderful behavior - of reality, but these "inglorious bastards" were heroes.

Even though I'm sure you can dig into their lives and find this or that not-great thing - they are heroes. If one does what they did - you're a hero in my book as real life heroes have flaws, but still do heroic things. Jefferson - slaves / Lincoln - many moral compromises / King - plagiarism (maybe) - don't care, their outsized accomplishments and contribution to mankind makes them heroes (their flaws make them humans).

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The first episode of the second season of High Maintenance, the HBO series that uses a guy (only referred to as "the Guy") who delivers marijuana around NYC by bike as a link to tell stories about different characters - mostly his customers - in each episode. I found the first season to be hit and miss, but this episode - about characters across NYC strongly reacting to some huge terrible, but never spelled out, news development - was terrific.

That it aired on a weekend when there's a US government shutdown underway and people are marching in the streets across the country in protest... certainly helped make the now-we're-in-deep-trouble feeling of this episode easier to believe!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The rest of Season One of Riverdale, the new CW melodrama that takes the Archie Comics characters, stirs them, and places them in a modern milieu -- a town that is in the process of losing its innocence thanks to the murder of the son of the leading family and the secrets that are slowly coming to light. The mystery is well resolved. Wisely, the producers realized that an entire 20-22 episode run is really too long to sustain a murder mystery arc; and so they wrapped up the puzzle of the death of Jason Blossom, the Riverdale football team captain, in just 12 episodes (and have done the same with the serial killer storyline in Season Two).

It's melodrama, yes, but it's well done. The young actors inhabit their characters, especially Cole Sprouse as Jughead Jones, the wannabe author and, as another character puts it, the "Holden Caulfield of Riverdale," though he's nowhere that much of a alienated loner. (He's dating blonde Betty Cooper, after all.) Camila Mendes plays against type as a Veronica who is determined to be a better person. And it's loads of fun to see Luke Perry, "Dylan" of the original 90210, playing Archie's father, Madchen Amick as Betty's mother, Skeet Ulrich as Jughead's dad, and Molly Ringwald in two episodes as Archie's mother.

Last edited:

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Victoria. I like this series. Period.

The Chi. I'm not sure what to say about this new Showtime series. I'm hoping it isn't tailored for white audiences, thus giving a convoluted sense of everything. What little research I've done wasn't promising. They threw out the contents of the corner store set rather than giving it to the homeless and needy in the area. In 2018, I don't understand how that could happen. If it is careless in one regard, I don't feel it a stretch that it is careless in others.

Counterpart. I liked episode one when they premiered it a month or two ago. Looking forward to episode two. Here's to hoping it doesn't fall prey to rote mystery and sci-fi tendencies.

"The Crown" season 2 episode 5 "The Marionettes"
  • Continues to be an incredibly beautiful production - the period details are stunning
    • What a great office / study that attic secretary's room would make (well beneath the Queen's dignity, but I'd kill for it)
  • A tighter written episode than most - the moving back and forth in time worked well as it built tension while the writers intelligently connected the dots without much superfluous material
  • If the facts spelled out in text during the closing credits are real (if not, then TV jail for the writers as they presented them as facts), then this episode, at least, hugged history closer than most in this series
  • Does anyone happen to know what type of car Lord Altrincham's blue-grey one is?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I needed something light, so I watched a bunch of episodes of Jerry Seinfeld's Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee on Netflix. Not all of his guests are equally funny or interesting, but the series definitely has its moments, and some of the cars are very cool.

I try to catch those when they are in acVWs, as I like to watch those cars in action. The patter is drivel, though, and I just try to tune it out.

A couple of episodes of Call the Midwife as well as one
episode of Victoria.
Both are well done and so far, entertaining.
:D

"Call the Midwife" is an enjoyable show for its beautiful period details, sensitive approach, thoughtful (and long-term) character development and, overall, feel-good vibe. It does become a little too lather-rinse-repeat in its story lines and often has too-easy resolutions, but its pluses outweigh its minuses.

Also, there are only so many gut-wrenching shows of physical mayhem and emotional agony (like "Taboo" or "Blacklist") one can watch - it's good to have a few nicer ones like "Call the Midwife" in the mix.

We've watched it since it debuted, but despite my repeated attempts and its seemingly inherent appeal for FL member, I've never been able to get a conversation started here on it.

N.B. If all the Sisters in the world were half as decent, smart, kind and caring as Sister Julienne - if they were half as true to their faith and vows - then most of the Church's problems would never have happened and the world would be a much, much better place.

Just Jim

A-List Customer
After finishing up Babylon 5, I wanted a change of pace. Watched the last episode of WWII in HD last night. I can't help but think they must have left some fantastic cinematography on the "cutting room floor". Of all the WWII documentaries I've seen, none have film that measures up to this.

"Call the Midwife" is an enjoyable show for its beautiful period details, sensitive approach, thoughtful (and long-term) character development and, overall, feel-good vibe. It does become a little too lather-rinse-repeat in its story lines and often has too-easy resolutions, but its pluses outweigh its minuses.

Also, there are only so many gut-wrenching shows of physical mayhem and emotional agony (like "Taboo" or "Blacklist") one can watch - it's good to have a few nicer ones like "Call the Midwife" in the mix.

We've watched it since it debuted, but despite my repeated attempts and its seemingly inherent appeal for FL member, I've never been able to get a conversation started here on it.

N.B. If all the Sisters in the world were half as decent, smart, kind and caring as Sister Julienne - if they were half as true to their faith and vows - then most of the Church's problems would never have happened and the world would be a much, much better place.
The period, the details, the characters, the ability to tug at the heart, and the sweetness are why we are enjoying it. The weaknesses so far have not been enough to hurt our enjoyment. It is nice to see a group of nice people doing nice things every once in a while to help us escape the drek that can surround or world.
:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko