Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was the last TV show you watched?

Worf

I'll Lock Up
"Arrow" - Good episode this week all about the backstory of the current villain. Not as in-depth as say Killmonger's back story in "Black Panther" but better than the usual cardboard cut outs on the CW. Not quite sure how this is going to end.

"The Flash" - Barry's taking his lumps team member dies again.... YAWN. Don't know why I stick with this.

Worf

Edward

Bartender
Finally saw the first two episodes of the Westworld TV show yesterday - good stuff. Currently on the third season of Z Nation on Netflix; it's no walking dead, but for something originally produced for SyfY on (it seems) a pretty low budget, the writing has improved significantly as it has progressed (and especially as it more and more drops the "comedy" element of "comedy drama"), and it has its own nice little take on some of the conventions of the post-Romero zombie genre.

Also rewatched the last few episodes of Deutschland 83; now very much looking forward to Deutschland 86 and Deutschland 89.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
High Maintenance. HBO series. I thoroughly enjoy this show. It's quite a bit like Girls, but it is based almost entirely on situations rather than characters. HBO has some great 30-minute shows. In a way, it reminds of of Better Things as well. It's not nearly as well done as that, but it's solid like that. Never a moment when you're knocked out of the story. Before you know it, the twenty-five minutes are gone.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I like all these shows, but it's not really fair to compare High Maintenance - pretty much an anthology show that mostly focuses on different characters/situations in each episode, merely using The Guy as the connection (<= pun intended!) - with ongoing dramatic stories a la Girls or Better Things.

Don't get me wrong, High Maintenance is very good, with some standout great episodes... and some that don't quite click. But it's merely a footnote compared to the other series, which I predict will be remembered and studied carefully as outstanding dramedies that document their moments in time/place really well. Of course, Girls got lots of press and attention, both good and bad, deserved or not, throughout its run. Better Things is a far more under-the-radar series that's just brilliant, another of those best-shows-nobody(-but-us)-watches like The Americans.

And I'm gonna say it: I'm really annoyed Better Things has carefully tried to minimize Louis C.K.'s involvement in the light of his scandals. He's the show's co-producer, co-creator, co-writer, and he had solo writing credit on several of the best episodes of last season. I don't mean to discount Pamela's incredible effort on the show at all - she's heroically brilliant in every capacity - but she couldn't have done it without Louis. Oh, the irony that he's become persona non grata over stupid things he did years ago... while he's simultaneously writing what's nearly the most honestly female-centric show on TV!

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Episode 2 of Season 2 of The Fugitive. "World's End" has not only Suzanne Pleshette as a young woman from Kimble's Stafford, Indiana, the daughter of his attorney, who fell in love with him during the trial and has been trying to help him all along, but another appearance by Lt. Gerard (Barry Morse). As usual when Gerard is in the story, it's a strong tale and a suspenseful one.

Bonus: an early, pre-mustache performance by Dabney Coleman of Nine to Five, War Games, and Mary Hartman fame.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Westworld season premiere... I wasn't crazy about it last season, and this season - which has ramped up the violence and dropped most of the vaguely interesting philosophical issues - looks like it's gonna be even less my kind of show. But boy, HBO has spent a bundle on it and looks great.

KY Gentleman

One Too Many
Started Season One of the remade Lost In Space on Netflix last night. So far they have only stranded the Robinson family and introduced the characters, but it’s looking good.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
I like all these shows, but it's not really fair to compare High Maintenance - pretty much an anthology show that mostly focuses on different characters/situations in each episode, merely using The Guy as the connection (<= pun intended!) - with ongoing dramatic stories a la Girls or Better Things.

Don't get me wrong, High Maintenance is very good, with some standout great episodes... and some that don't quite click. But it's merely a footnote compared to the other series, which I predict will be remembered and studied carefully as outstanding dramedies that document their moments in time/place really well. Of course, Girls got lots of press and attention, both good and bad, deserved or not, throughout its run. Better Things is a far more under-the-radar series that's just brilliant, another of those best-shows-nobody(-but-us)-watches like The Americans.

And I'm gonna say it: I'm really annoyed Better Things has carefully tried to minimize Louis C.K.'s involvement in the light of his scandals. He's the show's co-producer, co-creator, co-writer, and he had solo writing credit on several of the best episodes of last season. I don't mean to discount Pamela's incredible effort on the show at all - she's heroically brilliant in every capacity - but she couldn't have done it without Louis. Oh, the irony that he's become persona non grata over stupid things he did years ago... while he's simultaneously writing what's nearly the most honestly female-centric show on TV!
I hear every word. I knew it was cheap to compare High Maintenance to Girls and Better Things, but I also don't know where else to put it in a comment or lame review with the hopes that someone else might discover a really good show through appreciated association. Sounds manipulative, eh? Sorry, but I both think if you like those other shows, you will likely enjoy High Maintenance (because it is good. plain and simple), and it could be very easily written off as just another drug or Millennial show. I feel it is a lot more than that, but it is indeed both those things as well. Not that anyone cares, or should care, what I think, but I feel it necessary to throw it some positive energy. I see it was renewed for a third season. I'm glad about that.

Also agree with your every word on Better Things and Louis CK. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Has Adlon re-visited this whole mess? I know I read an early statement saying she needed time to process it all and that she would share more of an informed opinion at a later date. Has that happened? Maybe it is too dangerous to again bring this kind of attention to the show? Better off letting the issue fade away?

The Americans. So good, and again, they prove to be masters of the montage. Not only are they beautifully done in and of themselves, but also their use to push explanation, details, and story that would otherwise (potentially) require another half-episode or more.

Trust. Obviously a sharp cast and clearly put together at a high level. Nevertheless, I don't care at all about the situation or story. It's not interesting. I think I'm going to walk away from this one.

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
Westworld season premiere... I wasn't crazy about it last season, and this season - which has ramped up the violence and dropped most of the vaguely interesting philosophical issues - looks like it's gonna be even less my kind of show. But boy, HBO has spent a bundle on it and looks great.
I think HBO is really scared about losing Game of Thrones, and with the cast and commitment of the entire Westworld production, they were counting on it becoming their next centerpiece. I don't think that is going to happen. I don't care how hard they try to make it happen, either. I lost interest in it, but I'm willing to re-visit it because you say they dropped the vaguely interesting philosophical issues. They weren't done well enough (written or otherwise) to be interesting. They were a drag. If they drop the ball a second time though, I won't ever come back to it.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No, we haven't heard from Pamela Adlon since her initial statement. And of course, I totally understand why FX wants to distance Better Things from CK - it's a major critical hit and award-nom generator that's building an audience, and they want to keep his association quiet now that he's been disgraced. But the fact remains that they'd never have green-lit the show or produced two seasons without building on the success of Louie with CK's writing/producing participation.

I've heard that HBO positioning Westworld replacing GoT argument too. But Westworld simply isn't that good, except in its own mind. Sure, they spent a fortune and it reeks of HBO class product, but sending the android hosts on a human-killing spree this season is nowhere near as interesting as the hosts discovering their true nature in the first. At this point, I simply don't care about the remaining mysteries. If I wasn't a fan of Evan Rachel Wood - going all the way back to Once and Again - I would have quit already. (Also, let's not pretend that the original Westworld movie wasn't just low grade sci-fi schlock to start with. The basic idea is thin for a multi-season story.)

Maybe it will become more interesting, but at this point it's no contender to replace GoT, which is a uniquely great series in a dozen ways Westworld can't touch.

HanauMan

Practically Family
Still enjoying Young Sheldon, the Big Bang Theory spin off. Gets funnier all the time while still dealing with some real issues.

On the other hand, I'm going off Gotham. While Batman has always been one of my favorite pop culture characters, the show is increasingly getting more darker, violent and nilhilistic in nature. The only thing keeping me here, frankly, is the performance by Robin Taylor who plays the Penguin.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
Finally catching up with Series 4 of Black Mirror. The first episode, USS Callister is beautiful; the homage to classic Star Trek, right down to a glorious pastiche of Young Shatner, is perfect.

Maybe it will become more interesting, but at this point it's no contender to replace GoT, which is a uniquely great series in a dozen ways Westworld can't touch.

I've only seen two episodes and enjoyed them - I was also a fan of the original film. I think it will have relatively limited potential to go too many seasons, though I wonder if they'll try to get any mileage out of introducing Roman World and Mediaeval World, which both featured in the original film.

Still enjoying Young Sheldon, the Big Bang Theory spin off. Gets funnier all the time while still dealing with some real issues.

That has been a pleasant surprise. I was convinced it would be a diasaster, but it's actually been fairly entertaining. Rarely makes me laugh, but I can enjoy it as a sort of Wonder Years with autism. The only misfire is that the dad in no way, shape or form fits with the description given by Sheldon in TBBT], though that could yet change. The theme song does rather grate, though - shades of Scrubs there.

On the other hand, I'm going off Gotham. While Batman has always been one of my favorite pop culture characters, the show is increasingly getting more darker, violent and nilhilistic in nature. The only thing keeping me here, frankly, is the performance by Robin Taylor who plays the Penguin.

It's the darkness that keeps me coming back. It's Gotham, not Kansas. ;) I completely agree on the Penguin, though - fantastic performance, wonderful writing, and one of the few such shows I can recall where we get a central character who just happens to be gay rather than all their time being taken up with Gay Villainy, in between Gay Lunch and Gay Dinner....

campbell166

New in Town
I have just started series 1 of the Blacklist, season 2 of Gotham & just finished the Alienist series.......some great hats in all the above

HanauMan

Practically Family
The only misfire is that the dad in no way, shape or form fits with the description given by Sheldon in TBBT],

True, but I have read that this was on purpose and that the father figure is a more positive role model in the Young Sheldon spin off. The actor who plays the father, Lance Barber, also appeared in TBBT, as Leonard's former school bully.

Edward

Bartender
True, but I have read that this was on purpose and that the father figure is a more positive role model in the Young Sheldon spin off. The actor who plays the father, Lance Barber, also appeared in TBBT, as Leonard's former school bully.

I did suspect that it might be they wouldn't get away with the portrayal of the character being consistent, or at least that it would be problematic for their target audience, but it is irritating nonetheless. It'll be interesting to see how many seasons they get out of it. The other characters are great.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
"The Box," a 1969 Season One entry from the original Hawaii Five-O. This suspenser featured Gerald S. O'Loughlin, later of The Rookies, as Charlie, a con in Oahu prison who snaps and takes several guards hostage to get his demands heard for humane treatment in the joint. Steve McGarrett agrees to go in and negotiate with Charlie for the release of the hostages. Complicating matters: one of the convicts in the group, a lifer and former drug pusher named Big Chicken (Gavin MacLeod), hates McGarrett for putting him inside (shown in an earlier episode), and wants him dead.

I've remembered this one since its original airing for the suspense and basic setup, and for MacLeod's savage, intense performance as dangerous slimeball Big Chicken. If you only know McLeod as witty newswriter Murray on Mary Tyler Moore or as father figure Capt. Stubing on The Love Boat, you'd be in for a real surprise here. There are moments when you are sure Chicken is going to fire his prison-made zip gun into McGarrett's head -- and that only a thin cord keeps Chicken tethered to sanity. (Chicken never appeared again on the show; more's the pity.)

I wonder if MacLeod ever played Harry Roat Jr., the villain Alan Arkin so memorably brought to life on film in Wait Until Dark, on stage? He would have been terrifying. . . .

Ernest P Shackleton

One Too Many
The Americans. Yeah, well, it's the best right now. I hope they can tie up all these things in a decent way by the end. Feels like a lot of relationships are in play for only five remaining episodes, and they added/revisited a couple this week.

Atlanta. I continue to enjoy this show more than I continue to expect. I also just realized it is like High Maintenance in approach. If I watched more Millennial-aimed shows, maybe I'd realize this is one of the new normals. I kind of think it is without knowing it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto