Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first fedora?

fedoracentric

Banned
What was your first fedora? Do you remember? Mine was a black Adam Executive from the 1950s. It was beat to heck when I first got it, but I really loved it. Wish I had a photo of it, but I do not.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My Grandfather gave me either a Whippet or a Whippet clone when I was a High School senior in the early '70s. It was medium grey with a wide brim and with a black hat ribbon and black brim binding. I can still remember how soft the felt was. If only I had known.........

MCrider

A-List Customer
I remember my first fedora. I bought it in 1980 and it was a brown Foreman and Clark

S5030303.jpg

and yes I still have it, plus it's still in rotation and worn regularly.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Scala New Yorker. I'm relatively new to felt hats. I just wanted something cheap to start with, because I was afraid that I'd be too self conscious to actually wear a fedora. I'd only ever worn baseball caps, before.

First fur felt is my Biltmore Camden Ark 214.

g.durand

One Too Many
Banana Republic safari hat, most likely made by Beaver Brand, purchased in San Francisco, 1986. I replaced the original pug a couple of years later. I still have it.

2201da7d-ee1b-4497-bc1a-508378eac2b1_zpsdbe73d59.jpg

Landman

One Too Many
Mine was an old Stetson Open Road (probably from the 50's) that had a teardrop crease. I found it in a Goodwill store in the early 1980's and I can remember being surprised when I looked inside of it and saw that it was an Open Road. Until then I had assumed all Open Roads were Cattleman's creases. Living in an area where westerns are the standard I caught so much grief from my friends about it that I ended up giving it away. I wish I had that hat back now!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
Mine was a stiff brown wool Indiana Jones knock-off I bought at Burlington Coat Factory in 1982-83. It was a great looking hat and I continued wearing it regularly until it succumbed to moth attack last year. It's place in my wardrobe has been taken by a brown longhair (thoroughbred is the official color) from Optimo.

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
My first fedora was a panama, and I got it when I was either 9 or 10 years old. I don't have it anymore, because it got ran over by a car. It was a Scala, and it was white. For some reason, it didn't have a snap brim. It just was flat all around. I can't take a picture of it, because I don't know where it is. Funny thing is that I wear the same size (extra large) back then, as I do now.

Kind of unrelated: When I was either 9 or 10, I liked wearing suits everyday. I bought them cheap at Marshalls.

Macbeth

One of the Regulars
Shame to say my first fedora was last year at 70! Grandkiids helped me pick one out at Herbs Hat shop in San Antonio. Stetson Chocolate Brown (Tom Landry) Downs.
My brother liked it so gave it to him. Then gambled on a EBay Borsalino Vintage from seller in Italy. Paid $169 for it and found it was wonderful.
And recently Ordinary Guy (thanks Harry!) kindly sold me his Art Fawcett Pecan which I really consider my first great fedora.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I started wearing an Aussie slouch hat when I was a boy 1971. In 1978 I bought proper gentleman's hat, a mint 1930's grey, velour finish Borsalino for - I think it was 50 cents at a flea market. You used to be able to find the best hats for under $5 over here. I stopped wearing hats for a while in the early 1980's because of the Indiana Jones films. I disliked the calls of "Hi Indy" when my hat wearing owed nothing to that character.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points