Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What was your first fedora?

Uhu

Familiar Face
A Bollman I got at JC Penneys around 1984. As a classic movie / car fan, I had always wanted a "real" fedora, and it was on sale for $15 or so, just within my kid budget. But I never felt good wearing it, never looked right on me. At the time, I assumed it was because I had a young kid's face, and I needed an old face to pull it off. So I waited 30 years to give fedoras another try. Sadly, I now realize the Bollman only looked lousy on me because it was a modernized style with very tapered sides that just don't look the part, so thanks to that crummy 80s vintage Bollman, I missed out on prime years of hat wearing. I still have it though, looks truly awful side by side with a vintage hat! Dumb kid I was. Whenever I see it, I think how many other guys have been put off wearing fedoras because of poor department store experiences like mine!

Last edited:
A Lee private label for Nate's Mens Store, NOS from circa 1949, purchased new from Nates in 1972. Originally priced at $16, the renovation sale at the time of my purchase allowed me to buy it for $8. I should have grabbed the brown one, too, but was on a high school budget at the time.

It's the one in my avatar. Sure, I still have it, still wear it.

Last edited:
Well, my first was a Panama I picked up in San Juan a few years ago. I picked it up at a shop called Ole's. I can't find a photo of it right now and it's packed away.

My first fur felt was a Selentino Sterling I bought from Gus Miller at Batsakes in Cincinnati. I don't wear it as much now, but it still has an honored place in my dining room to hang.

View attachment 70492

This lid really does look great on you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana