Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's For Breakfast...

Well, there you have it! We've been known to order extra pizza for just that purpose, but at the same risk as when we were planning on leftovers. Problem is we're in the Cleveland area and we can't find a good pizza to save our lives. So having extra BAD pizza on hand doesn't necessarily help. But I shouldn't get started on how bad the pizza is here...

Living in NYC has many challenges, but thank God as you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an at-least-decent pizza place. I feel for you. My girlfriend's parents live in Michigan, if it wasn't for a place called "Buddy's Pizza," our visits there would be shorter.

Yep, lived on the north coast of Ohio for almost 20 years now and still haven't found a consistently good pizza. It's those dam conveyor belt ovens they use, and their refusal to actually cook the cheese until it's browned (couldn't do that, then it would be burnt!). I swear they just threaten them with heat.

My favorite pizza place in NYC is John's of Bleaker Street which uses a coal-fired brick oven from 1905 that heats up to 850 degrees and every pie comes out a touch charred as shown below (the underside will have even a bit more charring) - that, IMHO, is how a pizza should be done.

john-s-of-bleecker-street.jpg johns-pizzeria-nyc-outside-inside-seating-610x272.jpg

My favorite pizza place in NYC is John's of Bleaker Street which uses a coal-fired brick oven from 1905 that heats up to 850 degrees and every pie comes out a touch charred as shown below (the underside will have even a bit more charring) - that, IMHO, is how a pizza should be done.

View attachment 111229 View attachment 111230
I have been there and I have to agree with you. Pizza perfection. I have not eaten as much Pizza in NYC as the FFs have, but this place is top notch!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab

View attachment 111229 View attachment 111230
Years ago when I visited friends in NYC, they took me to Lombardi's. I still salivate thinking about the food. Yum!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Living in NYC has many challenges, but thank God as you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an at-least-decent pizza place.

My regular place closed unexpectedly earlier this year but a good substitute was soon found that covers most of the menu all under a single roof.
Its pizza is silver dollar thin, delicious. The emergency corned beef sandwich is a staple need with me; although served on marble rye which requires
a transfer to Rosen's Jewish Rye. Otherwise I have to stick to the marbles....
Starbucks this morning, where the New York Times and Chicago Sun Times were found together for a change.
Cubs won yesterday, Happ hitting a homer first lead-off bat of the season, so augurs well. The lineup, the bullpen, the field.
Heyward is a busted flush batter with a golden glove. Schwarbs will never be a stud left fielder but can deliver 30 homers a year firepower.
Russ is a future Hall of Fame shortstop with throwing accuracy issues-Lester got off to a lousy start but Joe isn't concerned. A southpaw hurler
who cannot nail first base but Contreras has that rifle arm. World Series hopefully.:)
And Loyola may just beat Michigan Saturday.:D

Haversack

One Too Many
The wife is working from home today and feeling a little under the weather. So I cooked up some left over sorrel Spätzle and a chopped shallot in butter, threw in some white pepper an a bit of salt, and added the beaten eggs. After the curds began forming I added chopped parsley and six slices of smoked sturgeon, scrambled it up and served it forth with sliced radishes and avocado on the side. She was pleased.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Lily had a cheese omelet. Hubby & I had sausage & cheese mcmuffins (homemade). He had buttery caramel flavored coffee with cream & a little Turbinado sugar. I had Lady Gray tea with Turbinado sugar.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
World Series hopefully.:)
And Loyola may just beat Michigan Saturday.:D

Cubs split a series in Miami, Cinderella walked off the dance floor. Loyola led at the half, had a strong start in the second before folding.:(:eek:
Starbucks, Sun Times wraps this weekend.:)

My matzos knowledge extends to having had it from the box out of curiosity and thinking it was pretty much a giant Saltine - which I like.

That said, I can't easily picture frying it either in a pan or a deep fryer. How did you fry it?

I find it hard to believe that you live in NYC and haven't run across it before! Provincial life can happen anywhere... gevalt!!

Also called "matzo Brie," it's basically breaking up the sheets, wetting it and tossing with uncooked scrambled eggs, salt & pepper, and optional variants such as maple syrup, or onions, or what-have-you! Cook in pan just as you would scrambled eggs, only more gently. VOILA.

Here's a close version to my mother's basic recipe, which I make. Some folks make it in a pancake formation. ALL GOOD!!!!
MG_3714.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112