Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
I do the cooking (since I am the only person who lives here) but more often than not I am too lazy to cook. Tonight's dinner consisted primarily of matzo crackers.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Bacalau; America's other white meat.

I think some bacalau with sliced onions, tomatoes and simmered in a tomato sauce sounds great.:D Or just some boiled bacalau on the side with a salad and boiled potatoes.:rolleyes:

Novella

Practically Family
Toast and cottage cheese and a root beer float (the thread on soda/pop was so inspiring I had to run out and buy root beer!)

I don't really cook. I live with roommates who cook but I'd rather spend my free time not in the kitchen (unless, of course, it involves sugar!).

funneman

Practically Family
Dinner?

I do most of the cooking in my house and with four kids my cuisine is a little less exotic than most of you. Lots of steamed vegetables, lots of grilled chicken. I specialize in improvising. Using what's on hand. I always try to involve the kids in the process, it's a great way to spend time with them while they're learning something. They actually fight over who gets to help!

We're even talking about writing a cookbook for desperate dads with some of our more clever concoctions:

Ketchup, mayo and relish=Thousand Island Dressing!
Frozen veggies, noodles and sauce=Minestrone!
BBQ sauce, honey, nuggets=Sweet and Sour Chicken!

Julia Child must be spinning in her Grave!

"Doc" Devereux

One Too Many
funneman said:
I always try to involve the kids in the process, it's a great way to spend time with them while they're learning something. They actually fight over who gets to help!

That's exactly how I learned to cook, and probably one the main reasons I enjoy it as much as I do.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Fred G. said:
I did not know down-easters (or anyone above the Mason-Dixon line) had "supper"...

That's what we called the evening meal growing up in the deep South...

When I was growing up, "dinnah" was what most people called "lunch" -- the town whistle that blew every day at 11:30 was the "dinnah wissle." So there was nothing left to call the evening mealk but "suppah!"

By the way, even though I'm a northerner, I love southern food -- biscuits and gravy is a wonderful thing!

otterhound

One of the Regulars
I don't like to cook, but I like to eat. Since no one else around here will cook, it's either I cook or we go to bed hungry.

I'm a vegetarian, but my wife's a carnivore, so that means I prepare 2 meals every night. Last night it was roasted vegetables with chickpeas and quinoa for me; Russian meatballs with veggies for my wife.

Here's my rule for never getting fat: eat whatever you want and however much you want, but always prepare your own meals. Never eat at a restaurant.

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Grits with honey or hot sauce, come on. G.R.I.T.S. = Girls raised in the South? Ok, bad joke.

I went out for dinner last night. Maybe my favorite restaurant in all of LA. Serbian place called Metro Diner.

-Cucumber/Tomato/Blue Cheese salad.
-Slow Roasted Pork.
-Mashed potatoes & veggies.
-Bread w/bellpepper sauce.

+ coffee and the LA Times Crossword.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I find it very important to teach kids when they're young to cook. This I didn't get as a kid so when I got married, all I knew how to cook was soup and top ramen!:eek: That is not how I want my girls to be .
We have Sunday night set out for the kids helping with dinner...the meal they have the most fun with is make your own pizza.

Caledonia

Practically Family
mysterygal. Me too. Mum tried to teach me but ended up admitting how she hated cooking - which explains the mince with gristle I was brought up on! :rolleyes: I don't have kids (another thread perhaps) but if I did I'd be bringing them up to grow their own, cook their own, and have fun with their own! I know he's a cliche, but Jamie Oliver is tops for bringing food to the table for adults or kids, and with fun!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
My mother couldn't cook to save her life -- one time she dropped her cookbook into a boiling soup kettle, and that was the best meal we ever had. So I had to learn to cook as a matter of self-survival -- mostly I learned from my grandmother, who was a real old-school New England Housewife. Beans every Saturday night, lots of meats and starches and lard the rest of the week. (And yet she never weighed over 100 pounds in her life, so there must've been a trick to it!)

It absolutely maddens me that my niece, who's fifteen, can't cook at all. I've offered to teach her many times, but she utterly refuses to touch raw food -- "gross! gross! gross!" is all I get from her. And they don't even have home ec anymore in her school -- so how do you get thru to a kid like that???

Ok, I'll admit I cooked last night---well mostly. I put hamburgers, linguisa, a tri-tip roast and a quiche [huh] on the grille. I didn't know I was going to cook until I got home and was comandeered. :p
We also had artichokes, potato salad, drinks and hor d'ourves before. Yes, there was enough food for an army but I have leftover tri-tip now for lunch. :essen: Woo hoo!

Regards to all,

J

Rosie

One Too Many
My mom cooked but she did the basic stuff, rice, vegetable and a meat. Nothing spectacular. Whenever people learn that I can cook and bake, they always ask if I learned from my mom but actually, it's something I taught myself.

A bit off topic, whenever I meet a new guy, they are always AMAZED that I cook and bake, and from scratch no less, I always hear the "women these days can't cook" spiel.

Back on topic, tonight's dinner is

Big organic salad (baby romaine, baby spinach and oak leaf spinach) with mini cucumbers, pecans, oranges and a white wine vinagerette. Dessert: sliced pineapples.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points