Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
"French toast casserole" hmm, that sounds interesting (and tasty) - any details?
Sure! I got the recipe from my mom who got it from a magazine.

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4-1 loaf Texas toast (12 slices)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-3 Tbsp sugar*
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon*
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp melted butter (in addition to the 1/2 cup above)

*I cheated and and used a cinnamon-sugar grinder I have.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (unless you're making this ahead of time). Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave. Add the brown sugar and stir until thoroughly blended. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan and spread evenly to coat the bottom. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Lay a single layer of Texas toast in the pan. Spoon half of the egg mixture over the bread. Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with a second layer of Texas toast. Spoon the remaining egg mixture on the bread. Drizzle with a thin layer of butter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and cinnamon. At this point you can refrigerate the dish overnight or cook right away. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes. The top will be crusty and golden brown, and the bottom has an incredible sticky deliciousness!

Enjoy!

Sure! I got the recipe from my mom who got it from a magazine.

1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup brown sugar
3/4-1 loaf Texas toast (12 slices)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1-3 Tbsp sugar*
1/2-1 tsp cinnamon*
1/4 tsp nutmeg
2 Tbsp melted butter (in addition to the 1/2 cup above)

*I cheated and and used a cinnamon-sugar grinder I have.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees (unless you're making this ahead of time). Melt the butter in a saucepan or in the microwave. Add the brown sugar and stir until thoroughly blended. Pour the mixture into a 9x13 pan and spread evenly to coat the bottom. In a bowl, beat together the eggs, milk and vanilla. Lay a single layer of Texas toast in the pan. Spoon half of the egg mixture over the bread. Sprinkle with sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Top with a second layer of Texas toast. Spoon the remaining egg mixture on the bread. Drizzle with a thin layer of butter. Sprinkle lightly with sugar and cinnamon. At this point you can refrigerate the dish overnight or cook right away. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and bake for another 15-25 minutes. The top will be crusty and golden brown, and the bottom has an incredible sticky deliciousness!

Enjoy!

Thank you so much. Not that I wasn't already sold by then, but the "incredible sticky deliciousness" put it over the top.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
Turkey, arugula, mayo, swiss cheese on a baguette. Fortunately, our Thanksgiving leftovers are about gone as I am a bit tired of eating a variation of the same thing for a sixth day.
This is why we have ham and turkey...more leftovers to work with. There's a lot of ham left (I didn't host Thanksgiving this year) and I'll freeze it. Just enough turkey left for turkey tetrazzini (dinner tomorrow)!

Tonight: Mongolian Beef, rice

This is why we have ham and turkey...more leftovers to work with. There's a lot of ham left (I didn't host Thanksgiving this year) and I'll freeze it. Just enough turkey left for turkey tetrazzini (dinner tomorrow)!

Tonight: Mongolian Beef, rice

We did some freezing, but living in NYC, we have a small refrigerator / freezer with not much space. In the last week, we've eaten turkey sandwiches, stuffing turned into waffles (which is definitely the king of leftovers - so good), cranberry sauce on plain yogurt, turkey and cheese on crackers (oddly enjoyable) for most lunches, snacks and dinner. Even my breakfasts of stuffing waffles or left over coconut custard or pecan pie are getting a bit old. But the good news, we're about done with leftovers and - overall - it was all good.

What is Mongolian Beef - is it about the cut or the prep that makes it Mongolian?

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
We did some freezing, but living in NYC, we have a small refrigerator / freezer with not much space. In the last week, we've eaten turkey sandwiches, stuffing turned into waffles (which is definitely the king of leftovers - so good), cranberry sauce on plain yogurt, turkey and cheese on crackers (oddly enjoyable) for most lunches, snacks and dinner. Even my breakfasts of stuffing waffles or left over coconut custard or pecan pie are getting a bit old. But the good news, we're about done with leftovers and - overall - it was all good.

What is Mongolian Beef - is it about the cut or the prep that makes it Mongolian?
It's the prep, I guess. lol. It's just beef (the recipe calls for flank steak, but I usually use sirloin) cut into strips. You toss them with cornstarch and make a sauce with soy sauce, water, brown sugar, and some spices. Put everything in the crock pot and cook on high for two hours. Easy and delicious. The kids love it.

I hear you on the space. If I had any more ham left, I would have canned it, but I didn't get a big ham. Didn't get a big turkey either, now that I think about it. Just a lot of them. haha!

Last night was turkey tetrazzini with the last of the turkey. Tonight is pan fried pork chops, scalloped potatoes, steamed broccoli (requested by my very picky, don't-let-a-vegetable-come-near-me 11 year old!), and corn

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21