Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

Went to a smokehouse for dinner, had brisket with coleslaw and bleu cheese crusted sweet potatoes.

I'm not sure I've ever had brisket. Is it similar to flank steak? Also, I think I saw it (and might have tried it, don't remember) in delis growing up, but haven't seen it on a menu in decades.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
Smoked brisket (like at a bbq restaurant) is the same cut as at the deli*, but the deli is not traditionally smoked. Bbq brisket (in Texas, my favorite!) is salt/pepper, and smoked over a low heat for 14-16 hours using a variety of woods to enhance the smoke flavor (pecan, peach, apple, oak, hickory, mesquite, etc. depending on the pit master's preference). Deli brisket is cooked more like a pot roast, just using the brisket cut. Brisket usually has a thick flap of fat on one side that helps self-baste during the cooking to keep meat moist and juicy, but that flap is removed before serving as it isn't very appetizing to eat.

*Brisket was the cheap Kosher cut used in delis, and over time it morphed into the go-to bbq meat in Texas**.

**Bbq has regional varieties of go-to meats and sauces. For example, St. Louis does pork spare ribs in a sweet tomato based sauce. Kansas City has a huge variety of meats (beef, chicken, pork, turkey, even mutton!) served with a tomato/molasses based sauce. North Carolina does whole pig, or pork shoulder with a sweet/heat red sauce, or a mustard/vinegar based sauce (depending on location). Memphis does pork shoulder or ribs that are dry rubbed & smoked, and can be served dry or wet with a tomato-and-mustard based sauce that isn't too sweet or spicy. Texas does beef with a peppery sauce on the side. (In my opinion, the meat is so good that you don't need the flavor of the sauce messing with it. I never eat my brisket with sauce.)

Man, long post. All my opinion. Ymmv. :)

For evening-dinner:
Leftover storebrand-"bio-spelt whole grain-spaghetti" with storebrand Bolognese-sauce. Mmmmh, yumm. :D Had it already for lunch, today and yesterday. ;)

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Double Stuff Oreo is one of the best inventions of all time - right up there with Penicillin and air-conditioning.

Found Mega-Stuff Oreoso_O yesterday while looking for ordinary simple everyday Regular Oreos. Still haven't tried the Double-Stuff yet, so going slow here and will keep the Mega in mind.:)

Found Mega-Stuff Oreoso_O yesterday while looking for ordinary simple everyday Regular Oreos. Still haven't tried the Double-Stuff yet, so going slow here and will keep the Mega in mind.:)

Love the Mega-Stuff, it's only a bit more cream than the Double. I'll buy either and doubt I could tell you which was which if I didn't see the package and wasn't eating them side by side.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff