Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's for Dinner?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
We tried a new-to-us local restaurant tonight - 'Chilli & Curry' in Hicksville. Tiny little place with a wait longer than I usually stand for, but it was worth it.

We had what we usually get when we try a new Indian restaurant - palak paneer, chicken vindaloo, and various veggies in a curry mixture, all mediumly spiced.

Next time, I'll phone it in, pick it up, and we'll eat it at home.

Yesterday I took the time to make chicken, andouille and shrimp gumbo. Served up with a crispy garlic bread. Consumed while watching Bama vs LSU. Washed down with PBR. Roll Tide.
Laissez le bon temps rouler.
I am more of a LSU fan, but I do admire the awesomeness of Alabama. Saban and Company are the Patriots of college football.
:D
Well, minus the scandals.

EstherWeis

Vendor
We killed it with a northsea seafood platter.

46b37f830fb74e7b798279fa4804cc01.jpg

be87a91b39d80570bace092fbc48d7c0.jpg

ff5de5ada0ed0dfaa60cc26bba61c193.jpg

Pizza and beer and some hostess cupcakes to celebrate my birthday last night. I think tonight is going to be Chinese , or maybe Thai.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Happy Birthday and many happy returns.

And kudos on the Hostess cupcake - a classic. This one is my favorite from my childhood:

91afpLzsfKL._SX355_.jpg

Happy Birthday and many happy returns.

And kudos on the Hostess cupcake - a classic. This one is my favorite from my childhood:

View attachment 92874
Thanks!

I've never seen orange ones like that. Pretty much about all that's available around here is chocolate, although there were some 'limited edition' pumpkin spice flavor ones that I had to pass on.

Thanks!

I've never seen orange ones like that. Pretty much about all that's available around here is chocolate, although there were some 'limited edition' pumpkin spice flavor ones that I had to pass on.

Good move on the pumpkin spice - if this assault each fall is ever going to stop, more people will just have to say no to pumpkin spice anything.

I'm surprised on the orange cupcake though as it was ubiquitous when I was a kid in the '70s (and on) in the Northeast. Many of those - in a two-pouch from a vending machine - served as fuel to keep me going during college.

Fill 'er up
220.jpg

When Hostess went bankrupt and, then, came back, I was afraid my orange-cupcake friend wasn't going to make the cut to make it back - but fortunately there it was again - with all its fake-orange taste - on the shelves in the first comeback wave.

Good move on the pumpkin spice - if this assault each fall is ever going to stop, more people will just have to say no to pumpkin spice anything.

I'm surprised on the orange cupcake though as it was ubiquitous when I was a kid in the '70s (and on) in the Northeast. Many of those - in a two-pouch from a vending machine - served as fuel to keep me going during college.

Fill 'er up
View attachment 92877

When Hostess went bankrupt and, then, came back, I was afraid my orange-cupcake friend wasn't going to make the cut to make it back - but fortunately there it was again - with all its fake-orange taste - on the shelves in the first comeback wave.
I'll have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of the fake orange flavor, but I won't pass any judgement because I have a soft spot for the fake banana.

2821818ddb89298cb815a73fc48db0b4.jpg

I'll have to admit, I'm not much of a fan of the fake orange flavor, but I won't pass any judgement because I have a soft spot for the fake banana.

I think most of these things - fake orange this, fake banana that (which, I am now mad about as I've never seen that in the store and I all but stalk the Hostess aisle) - are usually tastes we acquire as kids and that we probably wouldn't like them if we tried them for the first time as adults. Most of my junk food is like that - stuff I loved as a kid and never stopped eating. While every now and then, something new will appeal to me, most of the new junk stuff I try, I don't like.

In the world of fake-banana-flavored things that I love (since Hostess has deprived us in the Northeast of that wonderful looking banana dream thingy - yup, still mad) is Entenmann's iced banana cake. It's moist as heck, has a good icing-to-cake ratio (meaning a lot of icing) and a luscious fake banana flavor whose aroma hits you hard the second you open the box.

00063L.png

Belated happy birthday, Cuz. Like you, I've never run across the orange Hostess but I've eaten my weight in the chocolate. Haven't seen the Banana Dream in awhile but you just put a craving on me.

Belated happy birthday, Cuz. Like you, I've never run across the orange Hostess but I've eaten my weight in the chocolate. Haven't seen the Banana Dream in awhile but you just put a craving on me.
Thanks Cuz!

I haven't actually seen one in a good while either, but fortunately one of my all time favorites, banana flavor Moon Pies, are still plentiful around here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot