Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's on Top - Bras, panties, garter belts, slips, & stockings

vampygirl13

One of the Regulars
Hi there-

I just got this bullet bra
452_565_large.jpg
. It will be my first one.

Any tips on how to wear? I'm a 32DD and I didn't get the little inserts so I'll have to see how it fits without!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Ok, US ladies, cross your fingers for me. I may have found an even better eBay seller for UK bras. They don't list brand names, but I recognized some of the styles and their prices are ridiculously cheap. When they come, I'll let y'all know how it goes. So far, I paid $75 for 4 high-end bras, including shipping from UK.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
texasgirl said:
Oh, good luck and keep us posted- I only wear Fantasie and hate paying retail!
Well, my bras arrived. First off, I ordered 4 and only 2 arrived. Second, while they looked like well-known brands in the pictures, they turned out to be Gemm brand. From what I could find online, it's a discount brand. Well, I only paid $12.99 for them, so I'm not too disappointed. I have been planning to take apart a bra and make a pattern from it, but with a $65-70 Freya, I was hesitant. At 12.99, that's cheaper than most bra patterns.

MissHannah

One Too Many
kamikat said:
Does anyone know anything about the Figurette brand? I found a regular bra and a longline bra in the vintage section of eBay in my very rare size. My goal is to take apart a vintage bra to make a pattern. Is it really a vintage brand? I found Figurette listed in some online stores, but that doesn't always mean anything. Playtex has both vintage and modern bras, too.

Sorry Kami - I only just saw this! I own several Figurette bras and I'm pretty sure they are 50's or 60's. They come with an instruction leaflet on how to put the bras on (the cups unhook like a nursing bra and then we are advised to pull the breast through the hole!). In a shop in the east end they had an original sales rep's suitcase full of deadstock Figurette bras and the design of the suitcase looked early 60's, but the very pointed shape of the bra cups themselves is very 50's so perhaps they didn't change their design much over quite a long period. They do an incredibly wide range of sizes - I've seen a 28FF for sale! I've never found a size that fits me quite right and the lack of any elastic at all in the straps is incredibly uncomfortable, but the 3 hook wide elasticated band is a winner.

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah said:
Sorry Kami - I only just saw this! I own several Figurette bras and I'm pretty sure they are 50's or 60's. They come with an instruction leaflet on how to put the bras on (the cups unhook like a nursing bra and then we are advised to pull the breast through the hole!). In a shop in the east end they had an original sales rep's suitcase full of deadstock Figurette bras and the design of the suitcase looked early 60's, but the very pointed shape of the bra cups themselves is very 50's so perhaps they didn't change their design much over quite a long period. They do an incredibly wide range of sizes - I've seen a 28FF for sale! I've never found a size that fits me quite right and the lack of any elastic at all in the straps is incredibly uncomfortable, but the 3 hook wide elasticated band is a winner.
Thanks for the info! Mine is a longline bra and fits like a dream! It's now my favorite bra and i'm on the look out for more in my size.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
*martini*time* said:
Hi Ladies! I have a stocking question. I don't know where my garter belt and stockings should sit. It seems that all the belts that i buy in stores around here sit at a lower rise then what i would want. I wear high waisted stuff, i don't want my garters down around my butt crack...

Sounds like you're finding flimsy bedroom garters that are really meant to be seen on the floor. Your garter belt should sit at your waist.

where should proper stockings sit so that my garters don't snap and hit me.

Different gals like to wear them at different heights, some right above the knee, mid-thigh or at the very top of the thigh. It also depends on what girdle/belt you're wearing, and you will need stockings for whatever type of belt/girdle you're wearing.

I have TRIED and TRIED to find something along the lines of what secretsinlace.com have here in Canada but to no avail.

Try Cameo Intimates. They are based in Canada. However, their stuff is all custom made and you'll pay a premium, so you might be better off ordering from the US and paying shipping. Really, shipping between the US and Canada isn't that expensive and to find what you're looking for, you might just have to suck it up. Fit isn't really an issue with garter belts and if you order one based on your waist measurement, you should be fine. I would look through this thread and see which ones gals here have recommended. There are lots of choices out there, and it's really going to depend on what you're looking for.

How do you know what size of stockings you should get. I'm pretty tall and it seems that nothing goes high enough on me. I know the size chart is on the back but apparently to many of those companies, women are only allowed to be 5'10" and 180lbs...

It depends on what kind of stockings you're looking at. Stretch is going to be different from Fully Fashioned. There is a FF sizing chart at http://www.stockingshowcase.com/sizing.asp. If you are tall and nothing is long enough, you have a couple of options - buy Opera length stockings (some companies like What Katie Did have styles for taller girls) or wear a foundation garment with adjustable garters and wear your stockings lower on your leg.

Also, have you looked through the stocking thread at all?

*martini*time*

A-List Customer
KittyT said:
Sounds like you're finding flimsy bedroom garters that are really meant to be seen on the floor. Your garter belt should sit at your waist.

Different gals like to wear them at different heights, some right above the knee, mid-thigh or at the very top of the thigh. It also depends on what girdle/belt you're wearing, and you will need stockings for whatever type of belt/girdle you're wearing.

Try Cameo Intimates. They are based in Canada. However, their stuff is all custom made and you'll pay a premium, so you might be better off ordering from the US and paying shipping. Really, shipping between the US and Canada isn't that expensive and to find what you're looking for, you might just have to suck it up. Fit isn't really an issue with garter belts and if you order one based on your waist measurement, you should be fine. I would look through this thread and see which ones gals here have recommended. There are lots of choices out there, and it's really going to depend on what you're looking for.

It depends on what kind of stockings you're looking at. Stretch is going to be different from Fully Fashioned. There is a FF sizing chart at http://www.stockingshowcase.com/sizing.asp. If you are tall and nothing is long enough, you have a couple of options - buy Opera length stockings (some companies like What Katie Did have styles for taller girls) or wear a foundation garment with adjustable garters and wear your stockings lower on your leg.

Also, have you looked through the stocking thread at all?

You are the smartest woman ever. Thanks so much. I figured most of my garters were designed for the floor...:rolleyes:

:O There is a stocking thread!? I searched and didn't find anything...

Lillemor

One Too Many
I never really got into wearing stockings because they're ill fitting on petite legs.:( so I continue to wear hosiery. Nothing wrong with that but I feel a bit silly in assuming that one fits all would fit me. I can't wear them up to the top of my thighs because my garters (modern functional, not retro but not bedroom style either) won't adjust enough for that unless I pull the garters up to some rediculous height where I'm sure they're not supposed to sit.:rolleyes:

Do petite stockings exist?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
Do petite stockings exist?

I have very short legs also. My solution to this has, in part, been buying a garter belt that allows me to adjust the garters very short, and then I wear stockings that come way up to the top of my thigh. I actually prefer that. If you look, Rago makes a short strap garter belt that is quite lovely and might be a good solution for you.

Yes, they do make petite stockings, at least in vintage ones, though I haven't seen them too often. What size FF stocking do you wear? I believe I have 2 pair + an extra of vintage (non-seamed) stockings at home. They are lovely and very sheer, but they are a 9S and too short in the leg for me! They've never been worn and I'm looking to send them to a loving home.

here is a stocking thread!? I searched and didn't find anything...

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14909

Lillemor

One Too Many
KittyT said:
I have very short legs also. My solution to this has, in part, been buying a garter belt that allows me to adjust the garters very short, and then I wear stockings that come way up to the top of my thigh. I actually prefer that. If you look, Rago makes a short strap garter belt that is quite lovely and might be a good solution for you.

Yes, they do make petite stockings, at least in vintage ones, though I haven't seen them too often. What size FF stocking do you wear? I believe I have 2 pair + an extra of vintage (non-seamed) stockings at home. They are lovely and very sheer, but they are a 9S and too short in the leg for me! They've never been worn and I'm looking to send them to a loving home.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=14909

Thanks. Maybe my perception of how stockings should fit was wrong all along. I'll give them another chance and see if it's comfortable to walk around in stockings at the top of my thighs. It might be the more comfortable height anyway, come winter.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Lillemor said:
Thanks. Maybe my perception of how stockings should fit was wrong all along. I'll give them another chance and see if it's comfortable to walk around in stockings at the top of my thighs. It might be the more comfortable height anyway, come winter.

It's really a matter of personal preference. As you see here, there are a variety of heights you can wear them at :) sorry, the pictures won't post here.

low:
http://www.alexis4u.com/images/Garter belts/Garter_Belt_72523_Front_a4u1.jpg
mid-thigh:
http://www.alexis4u.com/images/Garter belts/Garter_Belt_6_strap_lace_front_black.jpg
opera:
http://www.alexis4u.com/images/Garter belts/a5.jpg

Lillemor

One Too Many
Thanks again KittyT. I see; then I'm not wearing them all wrong.:) Now I don't feel like I've wasted my money and I'm more keen on buying retro foundation garments because I really don't see a point in beginning to collect vintage clothes if they won't fit properly due to ill fitting modern foundations.

Heather

Practically Family
Secrets In Lace bra's?

I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a bullet bra from Secrets in Lace. I'm thinking about getting one on sale. Are they good quality? I appreciate the input! TIA :)

Lusti Weather

One of the Regulars
Heather said:
I was wondering if anyone has ever purchased a bullet bra from Secrets in Lace. I'm thinking about getting one on sale. Are they good quality? I appreciate the input! TIA :)

I have the Coquette satin bullet bra and the lace overlay one. The quality of the bra itself is decent (the lace one in particular is quite nice), but the fit is not great on either of them. I'm on the small side though, so that might be why. That said, their Dominique garter belt is gorgeous!

Heather

Practically Family
vampygirl13 said:
Hi there-

I just got this bullet bra
452_565_large.jpg
. It will be my first one.

Any tips on how to wear? I'm a 32DD and I didn't get the little inserts so I'll have to see how it fits without!

Just curious, how do you like it?

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I have one of the above pictured bullet bras and I love it! I recommend getting the matching panties too, the set is really pretty. I'm 34DD, very full bust, and I fill it out perfectly. It doesn't squish me at all.

Miss_Bella_Hell

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Heather said:
Thanks Bella! So it gives that nice, torpedo sillouette?

Yes, it's pointy. I wear it under my dresses that require bullet bras. I'm pretty sure you can also still get bullet bras from Sears in the box. My pointiest bullet bra is by "Vanity Fair Woman." It's so pointy it's almost silly. I'm looking but can't find it online...

Heather

Practically Family
Okay, so just in case I can't fill out the tip of the bullet bra, could someone recommend a cheaper alternative to the bullet bra pads secrets in lace offers? 17.50 seems a bit steep. [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points