Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best hats for different occasions?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I never wear a black fedora
I never wear a yellow fedora
I never wear a baseball cap to a wedding or religious service
I never wear a straw between September and May

anything beyond that is fair game for any occasion

Last edited:
I think the above posts are where it's at. A hat is aboth a functional and fashion accessory. Moon doesn't like how he looks in black fedoras - I don't care and I like them (like Sly said, different strokes...). I will agree on the yellow fedora, though, and I'm not big on Westerns, either.

Pick what makes you happy and goes with your outfit. Many on here switch to flat caps for windy days and some wear berets, which are both out of my wheelhouse. These days, I pick my hat based on what I'm wearing, what I'm doing, and the weather. With a healthy dose of mixing it up a bit so I don't bore the guys here on the Lounge. :D

And while I don't care, a top hat at the beach might get some untoward glances.

Oh, and Anthony. A baseball game is a religious service!

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I think the above posts are where it's at. A hat is aboth a functional and fashion accessory. Moon doesn't like how he looks in black fedoras - I don't care and I like them (like Sly said, different strokes...). I will agree on the yellow fedora, though, and I'm not big on Westerns, either.

Pick what makes you happy and goes with your outfit. Many on here switch to flat caps for windy days and some wear berets, which are both out of my wheelhouse. These days, I pick my hat based on what I'm wearing, what I'm doing, and the weather. With a healthy dose of mixing it up a bit so I don't bore the guys here on the Lounge. :D

And while I don't care, a top hat at the beach might get some untoward glances.

Oh, and Anthony. A baseball game is a religious service!

I just pictured you in a top hat on the beach and got a nice chuckle... thank you for that ... great visual

... what if you were getting married on a beach ... still no top hat ? ;)

and sorry ... I don't care for baseball much either ... I'm really getting points around here lately huh ..ha!

if it's not football or basketball I have no time for it .... I can't get down with a sport without a clock

... what if you were getting married on a beach ... still no top hat ? ;)

Well, there are exceptions to everything!

and sorry ... I don't care for baseball much either ... I'm really getting points around here lately huh ..ha!

if it's not football or basketball I have no time for it .... I can't get down with a sport without a clock

And that's why I like it. It's like fishing - tremendously relaxing therapy for me to be at a ballgame.

I just pictured you in a top hat on the beach and got a nice chuckle... thank you for that ... great visual

...the FL is not your personal erotica site.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
And that's why I like it. It's like fishing - tremendously relaxing therapy for me to be at a ballgame.

I need to take a page out of your book ... sports are anything but relaxing to me ... unless I'm watching teams I don't care much about

football sundays are like stress factory for me... in a fun sort of way I guess ... yeah .. I'm one of those stupid ridiculous fans

speaking of fishing ... it's been a while .. need to break out the rod

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I don't much care for black hats on me, either. I bought a 2" brimmed one, though, for when I need a black hat to go with what I'm wearing (when even gray doesn't work).

I wear a fedora just about everywhere, with just about any type of clothing. I prefer earth tones. I don't like to mix grays or blacks with earth tones, so my favorite hats are brown.

foamy

A-List Customer
While I'm still a neophyte, I too have wondered what single hat would fill most bills and have come to the conclusion that a grey or silverbelly fedora with a 2.5" brim will go with most anything. A brown one will fill any holes and is a nice choice to have. But as anyone here will tell you: More is merrier.

While I'm still a neophyte, I too have wondered what single hat would fill most bills and have come to the conclusion that a grey or silverbelly fedora with a 2.5" brim will go with most anything. A brown one will fill any holes and is a nice choice to have. But as anyone here will tell you: More is merrier.

My first hat, a Selentino Sterling, was purchased when I mistakenly thought I was buying something for dressing up - special occasions like weddings, First Communions, Bar Mitvahs. So I purchased a steel gray one. Then I found this site (sigh). I shortly became a daily hat wearer, but only had the Sterling and a Bailey crushable woolie for travel. The first time I traveled, though, I found an old Disney at the Ft. Worth Mercantile Exchange, and it was brown. My first vintage. Now I've discovered the subtle undertones in the felt colors, especially those that were offered in the "olden days." So many have complex colors and undertones that hey are incredibly versatile, so the same hat that you pick to go with grays and blues can be matched with earth tones, as well.

To me, black and silverbelly go with everything. I'm yet to get a bluegrass green Campdraft, but it's on my list. Those things seem to go with everything!

I need to take a page out of your book ... sports are anything but relaxing to me ... unless I'm watching teams I don't care much about

football sundays are like stress factory for me... in a fun sort of way I guess ... yeah .. I'm one of those stupid ridiculous fans

speaking of fishing ... it's been a while .. need to break out the rod

I know we're a bit off-topic here but yeah, I guess I just don't put as many chips on winning or losing - it's not like it's something I have any power over. We have season tickets to the local, single-A affiliate of the Reds and, while I want the Dragons to win, the reason I go is to sit, relax with my wife, eat peanuts and enjoy watching the eternal youngsters play The Game. And while I always want the Reds to win, if they lose, oh well. I don't get mad about it or threaten to stop following them. I grew up with them and they're the hometown team.

I mean, who the hell else am I going to root for?

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I'm curious as to what hats you think go better with different situations. I just wear a grey fedora all the time, but what are your thoughts?

Papa; Very few hard fast rules. The rules are mostly the "don't be stupid rules" or the obvious ones. I would suggest tuning into the thread "What Hat Are You Wearing" and checking out the pics. Try a bunch out. Who knows what sticks.

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I wear a fedora just about everywhere, with just about any type of clothing. I prefer earth tones. I don't like to mix grays or blacks with earth tones, so my favorite hats are brown.
The fedora is my favourite style of hat too, although I do have a couple of trilbys and a pork-pie. There's one baseball cap in my collection, but that's only worn to Rugby matches, it's in the colours of my team.
The way I choose a hat for an occasion is the same as choosing everything else that goes with it. For me, a black hat has it's place, I will wear black when I wear the tux, which I do more than most because my wife and I attend lots of ballroom dance events. The black hat doubles as a comic costume if we do fancy dress. A wrap-around, white buckram, hatband, over the black silk one, creates a Peter Sellers look. In a suit, I will wear a matching coloured hat, in casuals I usually go for contrast. For example, a Stetson fedora in caribou, (grey,) with a maroon Oxford blazer, grey pants and two tone Gibson shoes in red and cream. The shirt and tie, if worn, will compliment the contrast, or, a floral shirt or similar pattern will be of a colour(s) to match or contrast everything else.
Here's a pictorial example. Tonight we will be going to a burlesque event. My wife has another string to her bow in that she will be styling the performer's hair in vintage and period styles. She also does their make up if they want it vintage. It took me a good deal of Dutch courage to go to my first burlesque show, but once I saw that the audience was a healthy mix of the sexes, I felt a lot more at ease. Now I dress up like the rest of them, although I still hide behind the dark glasses.
Here's how I put a black hat and a burlesque shirt together:
novelty 001.JPG
...the FL is not your personal erotica site.
Oops!

Last edited:

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Gotta throw in hair color , ... I've hit mole grey ... , not sure if the lighter grays do it anymore . I can't tell except at the barber , the stuff that's all around looks disgusting , like a varmint and/or rodent .

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Agreed, a gray or silverbelly hat would go with nearly everything. My vintage Strat/OR Stetson (it has no model name on the sweatband) is THE hat: it looks good with a topcoat, sport jacket and dress trousers, or with a long sleeved shirt, jeans, and boots.

I tend to prefer thin or narrow-ribboned hats with cowboy boots or casual shoes, wider ribbons with dress shoes; but that's not a hard rule, and could be because of what I will be wearing with the shoes.

Situations is what you asked about, though. If I have to be outside for some time and it's windy, I prefer a flat cap. Otherwise I'd rather wear a felt fedora. It's so hot here for so much of the year, however, that I'm forced to wear straws a lot. That reminds me that I live in a climate that would stun a Cape buffalo, which in turn makes me resent the straw hat, most unfairly.

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
I do always wear my western hats when out dancing, but other than that I pretty much wear what I want when I want including a Bailey marine colored Suntino when I'm on the tractor.
As a seller I have found that black fedoras are not very popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider