Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's the best heavyweight hoodie you would recommend?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I like this one. Thick and heavy enough to keep me warm during the most bitter of Wisconsin summers.

wisconsin010-1.jpg

AF

erikb02809

One of the Regulars
Those 200-300 dollar ones look quite nice but..... well, not really. the Ranger ones are strictly backyard ninjas and the Freewheelers one has a shawl collar! What is it meant for? wearing to the opera maybe?

Gimme a good solid bit of workwear that is actually meant as workwear any day.

The Ranger LT hoodie is hands down the most used piece of outwear I own. Works great for layering underneath my motorcycle gear, I can actually still hear and see stuff with the hood up because of its smart design, the Polartec material used is highly wind and water resistant compared to other fabrics you see out there, it's got a ton of pockets that double for venting with their mesh lining (which is great for when I'm hiking or jogging), and the trim fit shows accentuates a trim physique if you've got one. And it's made in the USA. Also, if you check ebay, you'll see where TAD outerwear holds its resale value incredibly well.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the product as strictly backyard ninja stuff, the same way I wouldn't dismiss an Aero A-2 that costs nearly a grand as strictly for backyard Steve McQueen wannabes. TAD does cultivate a slight metro-meets tactical-meets outdoorsy vibe in some of their marketing, but they're top notch stuff. Given what they cost, it'd be dumb to buy one to wear for painting the house, but the OP hasn't specified (unless I missed it) just what he intends to primarily use the hoodie for. If it's for athletic/outdoors/fashion purposes, I'd argue the TAD trumps a baggie cotton hoodie in just about every respect, if you're willing to pay for one.

Edward

Bartender
Slightly surreal thread for these parts!

When did hoodies first appear? I'd long thought of them as being a very modern invention, but somewhere I have a picture from a 40s Sears catalogue that depicts something very much like a hooded sweatshirt, albeit in the children's section. Then there were those military anoraks which pulled on like a sweater, but had a hood. Are those the precursor to the hoodie as we know it?

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Hooded sweatshirts were already common athletic wear when I was a kid in the early sixties... but only pullovers. I didn't see hooded sweatshirts with zippers in NY department and sporting goods stores until the early eighties, I think. Of course, once they were around, it quickly seemed impossible that zipper sweatshirts hadn't always been available!

Aerojoe

Practically Family
When did hoodies first appear? I'd long thought of them as being a very modern invention, but somewhere I have a picture from a 40s Sears catalogue that depicts something very much like a hooded sweatshirt, albeit in the children's section. Then there were those military anoraks which pulled on like a sweater, but had a hood. Are those the precursor to the hoodie as we know it?

In the middle ages. It was the classic monk outfit [huh] According to the wikipedia;

"The hooded sweatshirt was first produced in the United States starting in the 1930s. The modern clothing style was first produced by Champion in the 1930s and marketed to laborers working who endured freezing temperatures while working in upstate New York"

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Well, i have received my two American Giant sweater...

The hoodie is a perfect fit, i am 6'2, 180lbs, 41" chest, wide shoulders and thin waist, and the Large fits as well as it could.

The mock neck one is the same in the upper body, but the stomach area is a lot wider and it doesn't fit right, it is very long and baggy. Considering they call it a "dressed up version" of their hoodie it is a bit weird!
I wish i could send it back but unfortunately it is just not economical!

Both have the same fabric, which is nice and thick, it feels very warm.
The stitching is ok, nothing wrong anywhere apart from a few loose ends that needed trimming, but nothing spectacular either...
Pretty much feels like a regular hoodie, but with a trimmer fit and a nicer fabric.

To be honest i don't really understand the cult following they have... yes they are nice, but i am not sure they are 89$ nice!

I doubt i will order anything from them again, it's just not worth it being in the UK. And the unpredictability of sizing does make it an expensive gamble.

Last edited:

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just received my Mid Weight Hoodie from American Giant.

It is a nice hoodie for sure. At 5'11 and 80kg I went for the medium.....tbh I like a snug fit and this is touted as an athletic fit....the waist is bigger than I would ideally like it puffs out a bit with excess fabric and the elastic sides aren't engaged at all, I'm really surprised that at my height/weight I should be looking at a small to get a decent fit??

Just tossing up my options now as while i can return it, I'm guessing it will cost me another $40 to do so, kind hurts paying $80 for postage and not having anything showing for it.

If I had my time again, I'd try the heavy weight version. While this is nice, its nothing to write home about, especially for $79 plus $40 postage.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
Just received my Mid Weight Hoodie from American Giant.

It is a nice hoodie for sure. At 5'11 and 80kg I went for the medium.....tbh I like a snug fit and this is touted as an athletic fit....the waist is bigger than I would ideally like it puffs out a bit with excess fabric and the elastic sides aren't engaged at all, I'm really surprised that at my height/weight I should be looking at a small to get a decent fit??

Just tossing up my options now as while i can return it, I'm guessing it will cost me another $40 to do so, kind hurts paying $80 for postage and not having anything showing for it.

If I had my time again, I'd try the heavy weight version. While this is nice, its nothing to write home about, especially for $79 plus $40 postage.

Yeah, im in the same situation, returning it would cost more than it did to ship in the first place, and i would end up paying pretty much the price of the sweater just in shipping and end up with nothing!

It is quite frustrating... I guess i will either sell it on to a friend or keep it for home.

Either way, they are definitely not worth all the fuss, even the heavyweight!

ProteinNerd

Yeah, im in the same situation, returning it would cost more than it did to ship in the first place, and i would end up paying pretty much the price of the sweater just in shipping and end up with nothing!

It is quite frustrating... I guess i will either sell it on to a friend or keep it for home.

Either way, they are definitely not worth all the fuss, even the heavyweight!

I've just been emailing their customer service. Apparently the Heavy weight does run trimmer than the mid weight, which would have been nice to know before hand.

They say the mid weight is about 2/3rds the thickness and warmth. They described the mid weight as a typical hoodie thickness and warmth which I'd say is accurate.

I'll probably order a heavyweight one, tbh even with the $40 postage, they come out to the same cost as a "decent mall" hoodie in Australia, you are looking at about $130 for one here..we are simply overcharged for pretty much all clothes here.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
I've just been emailing their customer service. Apparently the Heavy weight does run trimmer than the mid weight, which would have been nice to know before hand.

They say the mid weight is about 2/3rds the thickness and warmth. They described the mid weight as a typical hoodie thickness and warmth which I'd say is accurate.

I'll probably order a heavyweight one, tbh even with the $40 postage, they come out to the same cost as a "decent mall" hoodie in Australia, you are looking at about $130 for one here..we are simply overcharged for pretty much all clothes here.

I am 6'2, 80kg, 41.5" chest, wide shoulders and 32" waist and the large heavyweight hoodie fits me great, trim but not tight.
The mock neck is a baggy mess though, so stay away from it!

Like you i really wish they would say something about the different cuts rather than a general sizing chart!

ProteinNerd

American Giant hoodies Comparison.

After not being happy with the mid weight, I ordered the heavyweight version and have to say it is much better, I'm really happy with it.
Its a bit of a trimmer fit around the waist/stomach which is what I was after and has an actual sleeve, not the raglan style of the mid weight. As for the fabric weight, yes HW is thicker and feels more substantial than the MW but comparisons to "feeling like a jacket" in many of the reviews are an over exaggeration (although that may be due to my FQHH jacket experiences lol).

They both have reinforced panels at the elbow/forearm, elastic sides and a nice deep hood that actually covers your entire head. While customer service says the MW is about 2/3 the thickness and warmth of the HW, I can't really imagine there is that much of a difference in warmth that it would be appropriate to wear one and not the other.

My advice would be to spend the extra $10 and get the HW unless you need a more generous fit around the waist.

Cherry picker

New in Town
I find it strange that the Camber did not pass the test.I have a Camber hooded sweatshirt and can honestly say it is one of the warmest,most hard wearing I have.Maybe I got lucky?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto