Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whats the closest thing to Traveling back in Time? to get a feel of times past?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Prosaic @ full throttle !

The sun peeked out this morning so I decided to mow the front jungle
before the cold spell sets in.
Lawn mower was out of gas.

So I used the old manual push lawn-mower.
My “PF” flyers made it tolerable ! :D

2a2dyt.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Prosaic @ full throttle !

The sun peeked out this morning so I decided to mow the front jungle
before the cold spell sets in.
Lawn mower was out of gas.

So I used the old manual push lawn-mower.
My “PF” flyers made it tolerable ! :D

2a2dyt.jpg

Now that's a blast from the past! I can remember what a big deal it was, to graduate from Keds to either PFs or Converse high tops. Now I see, adults wearing Keds!

Stormy

A-List Customer
In the morning, I just scrub the whole kitchen down with Pine Sol, put the the phonograph on the kitchen counter, and play some records. I like to hear the snapping and cracking sounds of an old 33s.

Then in the afternoon, on the same day, I ride my bike all the way downtown to the antique shops to just browse and talk to old timers. For lunch, I'll go to an establishment that has been around for at least 60 years--not many of those left in Houston.

Couldn't have been more timely... only two days until 1865!!
https://www.facebook.com/Friends-of-Randolph-History-165815263481113/timeline/

This weekend will be a Civil War encampment re-enactment here in our little town. We have a gentleman in town who has a national reputation as an expert in uniforms and clothing of the period, so I expect to be fully impressed, totally "taken back."

And as a special note, the bakery that made the food staple "hardtack" for the Union Soldiers is STILL operating, makes GREAT sandwiches, and is right up the road from our pal Miamibruno, in Milton, Massachusetts; Bent Crackers. Here is more history....

The expert:
Henry Cooke IV
Historical Costume Services
Randolph, MA
(781) 963-9645
hcooke4@gis.net

Last edited:
There are companies today that “reproduce” the cans.
zn1ngw.jpg

Reproducing what went inside would be nice ! :D

Agreed, the star is the biscuit, the tin is nice and all, but we want the biscuit. It couldn't be that long that they stopped making them - 10 years or so or am I way off?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Agreed, the star is the biscuit, the tin is nice and all, but we want the biscuit. It couldn't be that long that they stopped making them - 10 years or so or am I way off?

“In 2009 (after over 110 years), Nabisco discontinued the Uneeda biscuit, concerned that the product was not sufficiently profitable."
( Wikipedia)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
They were the only crackers that would settle my stomach when I had indigestion. Two Uneedas and a glass of ginger ale, and I was set for the night.

While they're at it, bring back Crown Pilot crackers. Nabisco was a great company, but Kraft ran it straight into the toilet. The world doesn't need forty-two different styles of Triscuits. Brand extensions are the bunk.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
^^^
I miss the original chocolate malted powder flavor. The ones produced here today is not the same.

I recall you mentioning that in the UK, it might be available.

I haven’t ordered from overseas but have read about issues regarding shipping...but that was for the
leather jackets that my pals in the WW2 section of the forum are having at times.

I’ll have to do more homework on it !

Last edited:

3fingers

One Too Many
“In 2009 (after over 110 years), Nabisco discontinued the Uneeda biscuit, concerned that the product was not sufficiently profitable."
( Wikipedia)
As Post did with my favorite cereal. Post Toasties were a multi generation tradition in my family and one of the products that built the company. No more Post Toasties, but a dozen varieties of Clumps of Oats. Phooey on them.

2jakes, you have some very nice toys. You restored the Schwinns yerself? Got any before shots?

As to life before A/C ...

In the early to mid-1960s I lived for a couple of years in a house in Lawrence, Kansas, immediately adjacent to the university campus. That house, which burned down a few years after I resided there (or so I was told) must've been built either late in the 19th century or early in the 20th.

It gets toasty in Lawrence in the summer. This house's accommodation to that were its screened-in sleeping porches at the rear of the house, one downstairs and one upstairs. I trust that none of the occupants of that old house ever succumbed to heat stroke.

Swamp coolers (aka evaporative coolers) are much in evidence here in Denver, where it also gets quite toasty in the summer. But it's also quite dry, usually, so the moisture introduced by a swamp cooler makes it all the better. Just last month the lovely missus and I bought a house here with a nearly new central air-conditioner. It's on a fresh concrete pad and the yellow sticker tellin' you how much it oughta cost to run the thing is still on it. It replaced an old swamp cooler. Wish they had left well enough alone. I don't even wanna think about next summer's electric bills.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
2jakes, you have some very nice toys. You restored the Schwinns yerself? Got any before shots?

I didn’t take into account any “before" shots on the Schwinns before fixing them up.

I do have this photo of another project .
It’s a 50s J.C.Higgins that I have started .

2ryrbk9.png

I also have other “toys” not just bikes which I have accumulated over the years.

The problem is not having enough time for each one right now.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lizzie you can still get old fashioned pilot biscuits, hard tack and other traditional maritime foods from Purity in Newfoundland.

http://www.tidespoint.com/food/pilot_biscuits.shtml

I thought the price looked high, then noticed it was for 4 packages of 400 grams each.

I shall give them a try -- there's few things more comforting on a cold night than Welsh Rabbit made with pilot crackers instead of toast.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Talk about a blast from the past! Friday I was offered this 1931 Fleet Biplane, at a great price. I am not sure if it is fortunately or unfortunately, but I do not have the spare money right now.
_watermarked_54ab4608b80f20165206ef6ede203b16_zpstgaeoruk.jpg
_watermarked_c38359f57431a61ca4b4706728b0461e_zpsrgegynll.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto