Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What's your favourite Red Hair colour?

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
There are so many amazing red haired ladies on here I wanted to start a thread regarding good red hair dyes.

Can anyone reccomend a good one for dark brown hair and what experiences have you had with home dyeing?

I'm tempted by the Live range (Scwarzkopf) but am unsure...

K

Elaina

One Too Many
My favorite red is my own. :)

Since I'm turning platinum blonde in my free time in rather alarming chunky streaks, I quit dying it so much, because all it's doing is leaving my medium dark auburn hair with bright red streaks...and still chunky white after a couple weeks. My hair is really getting too damaged to keep it up after 20 years of coloring it.

Generally, they recommend not going more then 2 shades darker/lighter then your own color at home. With dark brown hair, I'd got for a burgundy mahogany tone or a dark auburn brown. It'll be reddish tinted, or you can bleach it out and then re-dye it. I tend to go to Sally's and mix my own color, but it's because it's a bright medium-dark auburn, and I can't find it out of a box, but I have reddish hair to begin with.

When I've gone red-red I've used Herbal Essences Auburnin' Hot Auburn and their paint the town red combined to get a more true red like my Dad used to have (he had a very unusual natural pastel fire engine red hair naturally) and it came close, but I started with a red base, instead of a dark one. I've not had fade out with the product, which is a problem with reds.

Coopsgirl

New in Town
I have naturally medium blonde hair and I dye it with Loreal’s Excellence cream in Light Auburn. The last time I was getting my hair cut, a couple of the stylists were talking about red hair and the one who was cutting my hair told the other “now this is what real red hair should look like”. She was very surprised when I told her I dyed it. I have fair skin (no freckles) and green eyes so my coloring looks good and believable with red hair.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/prod...Count=0&nug=VPD&skuid=sku392788&id=prod392787

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Kitty_Sheridan said:
There are so many amazing red haired ladies on here I wanted to start a thread regarding good red hair dyes.

Can anyone reccomend a good one for dark brown hair and what experiences have you had with home dyeing?

K

I love being RED. I dye it myself using L'oreal Preference in either the 'Intense Auburn' or 'Medium Auburn'. The conditioner that comes w/ the color is phenomenal as well. And then, since I believe red hair should STAY red, I touch it up between root jobs with a dose of Manic Panic in Infra Red. I am a big ol' fan of MP.

I posted this video after I used Infra Red over my red hair the last time. It's a tutorial so you can skip to the end to see the result. We're talking 'X-Men' red!! It was nice but after the first four washings or so, it faded to the perfect 'Rita Hayworth' shade. :) More my style...less 'rock n roll' and more 'pin up'. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DLNsm-8lNw

Inky

One Too Many
I love crazy red hair! I use Blood Red by Special Effects (on bleached hair) and the hair underneath in the back area (from behind the ear to the other ear) is dark brown. If you want a brighter red, Special Effects Nuclear Red is great too.

3858851413_c12cfd4ec6.jpg

I only wash my hair once a week, so my color stays very well between my six week root touch-up visits. I also have a bottle of the color at home to refresh if I need it. Sometimes I just add a shot of color to my conditioner in the shower for a lift as well, but not often.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Kitty_Sheridan said:

K

when I lived over there I -loved- the Live Reds.....I still miss them.....nothing exactly like them here....

Inky

One Too Many
Miss Neecerie said:
when I lived over there I -loved- the Live Reds.....I still miss them.....nothing exactly like them here....

Isn't that the color product that Miss Hannah uses on her amazing red hair? I had looked for that at one time here in the U.S. but couldn't find it.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Inky said:
Isn't that the color product that Miss Hannah uses on her amazing red hair? I had looked for that at one time here in the U.S. but couldn't find it.

I think so....

and you can approximate some of them here by a two step...get a good base and then special effects....but despite having tried multiple brands over here....I have not found a single step box color to equal it.

Pardoning the horrible look and so forth..it at least shows color

DinIpswich.jpg

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I love crazy red hair! I use Blood Red by Special Effects (on bleached hair) and the hair underneath in the back area (from behind the ear to the other ear) is dark brown. If you want a brighter red, Special Effects Nuclear Red is great too.

3858851413_c12cfd4ec6.jpg

I only wash my hair once a week, so my color stays very well between my six week root touch-up visits. I also have a bottle of the color at home to refresh if I need it. Sometimes I just add a shot of color to my conditioner in the shower for a lift as well, but not often.

I love it! I have never tried Special Effects...I really love the colors MP has to offer, though I understand SFX has better staying power. Incidentally, I used Pillar Box Red on my horribly messed up brownish mess ( I tried a new brand and it sucked) and ended up w/ a color very similar to yours:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...ndID=492308862&albumID=165852&imageID=5457883

It is still a bit dark around the ears and at the very front but thankfully, it evened out better than I expected.

Inky

One Too Many
That red looks great on you Miss Neecerie! It is very close to my result with Special Effects!

Glad you like it, LisaFreemontSt! I used to use Manic Panic many moons ago but I do think that Special Effects lasts much longer. Really the best thing for me has been not washing my hair often, which I learned (and finally got used to) when my hair was long and down past my fanny - now I am accustomed to it and thankfully have a lifestyle that doesn't dirty my hair up on a daily basis.

I have noticed that Lottabody setting lotion really strips color from my hair, so I switched to Motions Foaming Lotion when I do a wet set and it's not as stripping to the color. But to be honest, since I "discovered" Hot Sticks, I haven't done a wet set!

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Inky said:
I have noticed that Lottabody setting lotion really strips color from my hair, so I switched to Motions Foaming Lotion when I do a wet set and it's not as stripping to the color. But to be honest, since I "discovered" Hot Sticks, I haven't done a wet set!

Errr, I just bought my first bottle of Lottabody. That might be an issue for me. :( I will definitely keep Motions in mind of next time. And I want some Hot Sticks too!

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
Kitty_Sheridan said:

K
If you have access to the Schwarzkopf line, use that. In the States, all Schwarzkopf products are sold to licensed stylists only and even then, it's hard to find.

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
I agree about Schwarzkopf. It's absolutely the best, and doesn't usually cost as much as OTC.

I posted this link in another thread, but it's worth posting again: http://www.herbatint.co.uk/herbatint/about/herbatint-colour-chart.php
Its only sold in Canada and the UK, but I think the online store ships to the US.

I use the light copper blonde, and have used the henna and crimson shades. They last surprisingly long, have no smell while applying, and rinse clear easily.

Here's mine after 4 weeks:
redhairdye.jpg

Whatever you do, do not use Feria - all their red pigments fade completely in 2 weeks or less.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
kamikat said:
If you have access to the Schwarzkopf line, use that. In the States, all Schwarzkopf products are sold to licensed stylists only and even then, it's hard to find.

I'm really on the other side of the spectrum on Schwarzkopf. Twice my stylist used it and twice I had to use MP to even it out. The roots (my natural hair) took beautifully but the party that had been colored previously did not take it all. Dull, drab brown.

Now that I mention that though, it could be the perfect choice for someone who is going Red for the first time because the roots did take beautifully![huh]

Bombshell Becca

One of the Regulars
I have naturally dark brown hair with a little gray, so it is next impossible for me to get a bright red without first bleaching which I am reluctant to do because I don't want to ruin my hair. I have been using Natural Instincts in Malaysian Cherry. It is not a bright red but more dark auburn with a kiss of purple. It is a deposit only color so my hair stays healthy too.

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
It seems I alternate between a couple different otc products, depending on what's in stock and has the best price. Most often I end up using Garnier Nutrisse 76 - hot tamale (aka rich auburn blonde). It makes my boring, medium brown hair a nice coppery red, and seems to last well.
I just recolored last night; here's today's photo, which isn't so good, but demonstrates the color, even in shadow.
3867832069_77cdaaae13_b.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana