Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When do Cuban cigars become legally available in the US?

Americans are allowed to purchase Cuban products outside the U.S. and bring them back into the U.S., but only in limited amounts. As I recall, the limit is 10 cigars. The same goes for rum. I have friends who bring back a few bottles of Havana Club rum and some cigars every time they travel to Mexico.

That is incorrect. As of a few weeks ago, Americans who travel to Cuba under a valid license will be able to bring back up to $400 worth of goods, with no more than $100 worth being tobacco and alcohol. This is only for goods purchased in Cuba. It is still illegal to import Cuban products purchased in other countries (it's still illegal to purchase them in the first place). There used to be similar allowances, but that has not been in effect for some time. If your friends are bringing Cuban cigars and rum into the U.S. from Mexico, they are doing so illegally.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/36/~/importing-cuban-cigars

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Interesting. When was the allowance for bringing back Cuban-origin items from third-party countries eliminated? That page you linked seems to have been updated very recently.

Interesting. When was the allowance for bringing back Cuban-origin items from third-party countries eliminated? That page you linked seems to have been updated very recently.

The restriction on purchasing Cuban items in "third-party" countries is part of the Cuban Assets Control Regulations, which went into effect in 1963. It's been illegal to purchase in or import from any country since then. For a time you were allowed to imports goods for personal use purchased directly in Cuba, from officially licensed trips, but that has since expired.

It can also be noted that the embargo "expired" for a period between 1977 and 1980, and depending on who you ask, Cuban goods were legal during that period. For most of the embaro's history, it had to be renewed by the President every so often, and Jimmy Carter let is expire in 1977. However, Ronald Reagan re-instituted it in 1980, and the embargo was officially promulgated into law through a series of Congressional Acts in the 90's. Which is why it would take another act of Congress to officially repeal it.

andrewrivas

New in Town
The embargo on Cuban cigars in the US was probably the best possible thing that could happen to the cigar industry. Now we have excellent cigars available coming out of places like Honduras and the DR that never otherwise would have the demand if Cubans were readily available in the US

JohnFurr

New in Town
The US and Cuba reached an agreement on Wednesday to restore diplomatic relations. The result of 18 months of negotiations with the help of the Vatican and Canada.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/17/us-cuba-usa-gross-idUSKBN0JV1H520141217

The process is ongoing as they need the approval of Congress to end the embargo. So, no Cuban cigars in the local tobacco shop for a while.

The embargo is an obvious failure. If the US had not refused to recognize the Castro government, he would have been replaced in the next election and things would have been back to normal by 1965. As it is, the Cuban people have suffered and the Castro government kept in power.

Canada has made grave error in helping to normalize US Cuban relations... there go our resorts and it will be impossible to get a decent stick from Cuba let alone a $10.00 one. Curses! I'll have to horde as many as possible before that happens.

JohnFurr

New in Town
The embargo on Cuban cigars in the US was probably the best possible thing that could happen to the cigar industry. Now we have excellent cigars available coming out of places like Honduras and the DR that never otherwise would have the demand if Cubans were readily available in the US

Partly true... But Cuban production is insufficient to have met the demand of US market ergo other markets would have had stimulus to develop good smokes.

IMO, it was just as much the collapse of the cigar markets in 90s that allowed stockpiles to age and blenders like Rocky Patel to create some very awesome sticks.

JohnFurr

New in Town
Windsor caters to Americans coming over for a night of underage drinking and those who want to try real cubans... several tobacconists right on the main downtown drag.

JohnFurr

New in Town
You take me too literally. I know Cuba and North Korea would still exist with or without Communism. I am saying the US embargo is one of the things that keeps their Communist governments in power. Things that would otherwise be intolerable and impossible, can go on as long as you have a foreign enemy to blame, and to frighten the people with.

Look at the changes that have taken place in China since Nixon recognized their government in 1974. Look at any other Communist government, if you can find one. They all had to adapt to the 21st century or die, except for Cuba and North Korea.

You will see some big changes in Cuba in the next few years if the embargo ends.

Good analysis.. Cobourg Ontario? Keep working our secret plan to keep that embargo going ;)

Keep working our secret plan to keep that embargo going ;)

Works for me. As far as I am concerned, US cigar smokers are better off now with the embargo as (let's be honest) you can EASILY find good cuban cigars now at very reasonable prices without huge government taxes. All of that would change overnight if the embargo were lifted. Do you think we, in the US, could find a whole box of Super Partagas for under a hundred bucks after the embargo?!
Not only that though, you would also have a hard time getting cuban puros. All the current label owners would start blending cuban tobacco with their other offerings to make it go long. General Tobacco and Swedish Match would make a TON of money giving us less for more. :doh:

JohnFurr

New in Town
Works for me. As far as I am concerned, US cigar smokers are better off now with the embargo as (let's be honest) you can EASILY find good cuban cigars now at very reasonable prices without huge government taxes. All of that would change overnight if the embargo were lifted. Do you think we, in the US, could find a whole box of Super Partagas for under a hundred bucks after the embargo?!
Not only that though, you would also have a hard time getting cuban puros. All the current label owners would start blending cuban tobacco with their other offerings to make it go long. General Tobacco and Swedish Match would make a TON of money giving us less for more. :doh:

exactly...

Works for me. As far as I am concerned, US cigar smokers are better off now with the embargo as (let's be honest) you can EASILY find good cuban cigars now at very reasonable prices without huge government taxes.

Ease and cost are relative. If you're finding cheap, easy Cubans, they're almost assuredly fakes. 90% of the cigars in the world advertised as "Cuban" are. That doesn't mean you can't get them, of course you can. But it's not like walking into your local cigar shop and picking up a few. They are still illegal in the U.S.

Ease and cost are relative. If you're finding cheap, easy Cubans, they're almost assuredly fakes. 90% of the cigars in the world advertised as "Cuban" are. That doesn't mean you can't get them, of course you can. But it's not like walking into your local cigar shop and picking up a few. They are still illegal in the U.S.

They are easily obtainable and not fake. You just have to know how. I hope they remain illegal because they will be ruined with an increase in demand, watering down the blend along with an increase in taxation. Leave them be as they are.

I'm not sure how you reconcile those two conditions. By defintion, "easy" would not require any special skill or knowledge.

At any rate....I agree that a sudden explosion in demand would drive the quality down and the price up on the authentic ones.

You are on the very tool right now that can get you anything you want. Go to google and type it in. Easy.

Quality can be bad enough as it is now with some past experience with draw problems, sun spots and bad wrappers but rush the makers more and you will get a very poor product---especially from there.

I am a Canadian and have access to Cubans having travelled there. Cuban cigars are overrated IMHO. I agree with Scotrace. There are great cigar brands in world that offer better value than Cubans. When in Cuba I buy Montecristos from the Casa Habana, the only legit supplier and only guaranteed source of non fakes. I have picked up fake Cohibas that were actually not bad and gave the Montecristos a run. I have bought from tobacco farmers that roll a few of their own to sell on the side....crudely made but not a bad smoke.
Cubans overall have great flavour but my bitch is the quality of construction. They are still too inconsistent and in my latest batch of Montecristos there are too many with terrible draw and poor ash. I will take a Fuente or even a PDR (my two smokes of choice these days) over a Cuban.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ