Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

When you're not dressed vintage...

Wild Root

Gone Home
The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìTunic and jeans?¢‚Ǩ? look is just as bad I think. Most girls I see over here in CA wear that look. Some of the tunics start out looking like a really cool 1920?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s dress, then stop short at the hips. Then that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s where the jeans or khakis come in to play. I tell you, such a confusing style I can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t wait to see it go away. I guess I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m just too old fashioned.

WR.

Wild Root said:
The ?¢‚Ǩ?ìTunic and jeans?¢‚Ǩ? look is just as bad I think. Most girls I see over here in CA wear that look. Some of the tunics start out looking like a really cool 1920?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s or 1930?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s dress, then stop short at the hips. Then that?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢s where the jeans or khakis come in to play. I tell you, such a confusing style I can?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢t wait to see it go away. I guess I?¢‚Ǩ‚Ñ¢m just too old fashioned.

WR.

A tunic and Jeans? Sounds like something out of The Army of Darkness. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
That look is one of my least favorite! I especially hate those baby doll style tops--they look a little too close to maternity wear for my comfort :rolleyes:

So, the ladies I work with have decided that they are going to dress me up '2005' for Halloween (since I am always a 1940s girl, they say it won't count if I show up in a vintage ensemble). If they succeed I will post pictures ;)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'll bet that would go over well at work! I suppose I could say I was dressed as a pop star or something...

Since I hate the look so much it would be mildly amusing if I tried the dress-over-pants ensemble. I think it would pain me too much to do so though...

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Maybe in addition to the "vintage pics in your vintage threads" thread we could have a "modern pics in your modern threads."

We could all sport the latest looks from such quality vendors as Abercrombie, Diesel and Urban Outfitters. I mean, who doesn't want to see Matt or Root wearing a ripped T-shirt over a long-sleeve sweatshirt with "designer" jeans and Kenneth Cole shoes?

Vladimir Berkov said:
Maybe in addition to the "vintage pics in your vintage threads" thread we could have a "modern pics in your modern threads."

We could all sport the latest looks from such quality vendors as Abercrombie, Diesel and Urban Outfitters. I mean, who doesn't want to see Matt or Root wearing a ripped T-shirt over a long-sleeve sweatshirt with "designer" jeans and Kenneth Cole shoes?

I don't for one. It might be good for a joke but it would get old REAL fast. Root going from high waisted pants to crack pants? I don't think you could get him to do it either. :p ;)

Regards to all,

J

Wild Root

Gone Home
Getting me into modern looking anything is going to be like pulling teeth! I'd hate to see me in them duds as it stands. There have been some out here that want me to dress 80's for a Halloween party but, I say: NO WAY JOSE!

Sorry if I sound like a party pooper but, when I wear clothes, I have to be comfortable how I look. I lived through the 80's and hated the look when it was new! When I found wide legged slacks and styles that complimented the figure, I was only too happy to wear it all the time.

Sorry boys and girls, Root will not lower his self to the bottom of the barrel. ;)

WR.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Lol, I didn't figure anybody would go for the idea anyway. I must say I am getting to be the same way though. I used to not wear modern clothes just because I didn't like the way they looked but now I refuse to wear them on principle. My friends at the university say that they want to make me wear a burnt-orange UT hoodie sweatshirt, cargo pants and sandals the last day of the semester but that is only going to happen if hell freezes over...

I lived through the 80's and hated the look when it was new! - WR

Oh what an unbelievably wretched time to live. I can't understand how my coevals can look upon it with teary-eyed nostalgia. There wasn't a stitch of clothing produced that had any style, and I still have nightmares about mica furniture under Nagel prints. Indeed, it seemed like some sort of mass hysteria had spread through the country - a phobia to produce anything of substance. Cars? Film? Literature? Music? Did anything great come from that decade? (All right, I'll admit I was fan of the British Indie Pop scene (Jesus and Marychain, Wedding Present, etc.) which was a bit of a saving grace) But if I do have one regret about having muddled through that time (though I'm muddling still) it's that I wasn't stockpiling as much vintage as I could get my hands on. Everything was so damned cheap! Ah, now I am teary-eyed.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Wild Root

Gone Home
One great thing that came from that period was... ME! :p J/K. No, I was born in 1978 so, some may say that I'm a 70's kid. That's even worse I think.

Some times I wish I had found vintage at a young age but, it wouldn't fit any more if I had done so. But yes, I would have looked so much better for the time.

Well, moving on,
WR.

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Looks, guys! A tunic! Looks better done 30's style, doesn't it?
30spattern.jpg

And they did them over pants too, it was "lounge wear"

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've got a black crepe Asian-inspired 1930s tunic that is missing its mate--the big difference is that I wear it with wide leg slacks, and the whole ensemble is nice and tailored. The modern take is ultra sloppy, the old "I tried hard but I don't want you to think I did so I'll throw these jeans on underneath this blouse/dress lest I look too dressed up."

Anything good fromt he 1980s huh? How about this:
BlakeKrystle.jpg

and this:
amandawed.jpg

At least you had some nighttime TV that had style. The clothes might not have been the best style in our opinion but they portrayed people who actually knew how to dress. The wardrobe bills for those shows were higher than the actor's salaries!
If you want really bad look at the 1960s and 1970s junk. That stuff was horrible for men. The ugly colors---even in the home---talk about bell bottoms and the nehru jacket. PU Just sickening. Not to mention the gas lines of the 1970s, the hippies of the 1960s and 70s up til now and that hair. Ewww! I am glad clean cut and preppy were at least part of the 80s. In high school it was not how smelly you were it was how well dressed you were. I know, I know I was runner up to best dressed but it was the effort that counted. :p

Regards to all,

J

Being a bit older I'm not looking back through rose-colored glasses. The 70s of my youth were a mess to be sure, but the 80s that I came of age in had me perpetually retching. Those primetime soaps were the zeitgeist all right: just seeing that picture from Dynasty has me reaching for the Tums. And what was particularly nauseous about the preppy look was that it inherently stunk of the same 80s greed. You can't have style without soul, no matter how much you spend. If all this comes across as my hating the rich, it's only because I've made it my life's work.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pablosstuff