Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Where are all of the Russian/USSR leather jackets

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Simple question...why have there not been more examples/talk of Russian leather jackets, both military and civilian? It is the largest country in the world and surely invested in military clothing during WWII and the Cold War. Also, I imagine they had a few tanneries and civilian clothing makers, at the very least. Anyone?

Also, please post your photos of Russian/Soviet era jackets!

HanauMan

Practically Family
I was going thru ebay last night looking at leather jackets and saw a few Russian ones on sale , so they're definitely out there! And they're so much cheaper than old Schott and Avirix jackets.

Doctor Damage

I'll Lock Up
There's an older thread on this topic somewhere around here (no comment). Plus there's a detailed thread on the US Militaria forum or whatever it's called. The reality is that the Sovs had one design of leather jacket for pilots which they didn't change for decades. They still have the same design as far as I know and even other former Sov republics have used them so I suspect it might be more of a private purchase thing than an issue item. I think Silverman's surplus in the UK was selling a copy a while back )this jacket) which now seems almost sold out. But as far as I can tell the Sovs never got into leather jackets like the Amerikans did. Basically, they're useless in a Russian winter or spring/fall so they did heavy insulated cloth jackets instead.

I would love to find a large, WWII era Soviet jacket. As it is, there's tons of post-war surplus being brought in, and the prices have skyrocketed in the last couple of years. There's some 50's "sheepies" that are awesome, but haven't found one in my size yet.
I do soviet reenacting, and we have a lot of original and repop stuff, including a cache of 30's and 40's Mosins, DP, a Maxim, and lots of PPSH in various builds. It's not sexy like the German or American gear, but it's still affordable *sans guns.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
There's an older thread on this topic somewhere around here (no comment). Plus there's a detailed thread on the US Militaria forum or whatever it's called. The reality is that the Sovs had one design of leather jacket for pilots which they didn't change for decades. They still have the same design as far as I know and even other former Sov republics have used them so I suspect it might be more of a private purchase thing than an issue item. I think Silverman's surplus in the UK was selling a copy a while back )this jacket) which now seems almost sold out. But as far as I can tell the Sovs never got into leather jackets like the Amerikans did. Basically, they're useless in a Russian winter or spring/fall so they did heavy insulated cloth jackets instead.
That's Amerikanski to you! :D

Eastwood

New in Town
It's amazing how many fantasies and fictions in your discussions about USSR...sorry but it's true!, and especially today!
I do not understand why write - ugly utility, not beautiful, for cold weather only... if you do not know anything about the flight jackets of the USSR.
Flying jackets in the USSR developed how in the rest of the world - together with aviation.
First there was a leather raincoat "reglan", later a lot of leather jackets made in the USSR, and received by Lend-Lease during the war. After the war, there were five generations of leather intermediate jackets. There were also many kinds of heavy winter and light summer clothing flight jackets.

Cossacks sporting flight jackets. A few years ago Russia revived Cossack troops who are generally employed as auxiliaries assisting police and border guards.

06DSC_6863-6.jpg

07DSC_6873-7.jpg

Eastwood

New in Town
Here are some examples of flying jackets in the USSR ..
P.S. And what does the cossacks and flight jackets? I do not see a single flying jacket on anyone!

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 464
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 614
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 567
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 447
Last edited:

nick123

I'll Lock Up
It's amazing how many fantasies and fictions in your discussions about USSR...sorry but it's true!, and especially today!
I do not understand why write - ugly utility, not beautiful, for cold weather only... if you do not know anything about the flight jackets of the USSR.
Flying jackets in the USSR developed how in the rest of the world - together with aviation.
First there was a leather raincoat "reglan", later a lot of leather jackets made in the USSR, and received by Lend-Lease during the war. After the war, there were five generations of leather intermediate jackets. There were also many kinds of heavy winter and light summer clothing flight jackets.

Yes, Lend-Lease....did the Americans outsource any jackets? Idk, but I feel there's this big gap that has yet to be explored and archived (at least by the West) in Russia's clothing. There has to be more out there.

Wasn't the Himel Canuck derived from a jacket designed by Russian immigrants? Surely they had some kind of leather industry at one point?

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
Forget the other stuff (grrrr) lets see the Eastern Block(Soviet era) jackets :) . A lot of equipment started to appear in the mid 1990s from Eastern Europe, especially tank drivers goggles which were ok for tank drivers and maybe pilots as they were a little like Stadium Mk8s but not really usable on motorcycles.
Another item that was very popular and really expensive were old long wave radios with fantastic bakelite and plastic casings with all those wonderful Russian radio station names in Russian script.
And as the original poster asked lets see the Soviet era jackets, all jackets, not just flight.

Last edited:

Eastwood

New in Town
Ok, if talk about the theme.
I think if we talk about jackets, then everything goes back to either sport or military, in each country. Then the basic models of sport, fleet, aviation appear and they are already developing. Look at the experience of other countries, the experience of application in the case. So the jackets become legendary. In the USSR it was the same. But in the USSR, in addition to military flight jackets, I do not know the legendary jackets that are characteristic of the USSR. Everything in the jackets of the USSR basically goes back to sports or military jackets of Great Britain, Germany, the USA. Perhaps only a "Tulup" and a "Fufayka" as well as military flight jackets are typical for the USSR only.
I attached the photo of the military flight jackets of the USSR earlier. There in the photo the first cosmonauts of the USSR and the world are Gagarin, Leonov and many other famous pilots.

Attachments

• 173.jpg
    173.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 324
  • 501.jpg
    501.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 333
  • 149.jpg
    149.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 428
  • 8447.jpg
    8447.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 341
Last edited:

shadowrider

One of the Regulars
Backto topic, I saw a russian biographical movie about Yuri Gagarin, a couple of years ago.
Lots of nice leather jackets in the movie. They looked similar to the ones posted (the standard russian flight jacket that has been around for years), but had some small differences that made them way cooler.

Last edited:
A simple google search nets these results:
IMG_4193.PNG

After scrolling, scrolling and more scrolling. This is about all I could find.
Different keyword search:
IMG_4194.PNG

My interest has passed and from what I can see there just isn't much to be seen or explored here.
eBay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/262590752499

Last edited:

Eastwood

New in Town
Honestly, this, of course, is not original Russian jackets. These three are based on .. some original Russian jackets.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 2,550

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21