Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Where there's tea, there's hope"

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I need to do another inventory but we have well over 60 different teas in the house right now. Blends, single-estate, varietals, fruit, greens, blacks, oolongs, rooybos's, flavoured teas.....

I'm currently sipping a nice cup of Murchie's English Breakfast blend. I find I prefer breakfast blends in the evening for some reason. [huh] I'm enjoying it in a handle-less Japanese style cup I was given when I was on a student exchange to Japan a looooong time ago.

de Stokesay

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
As I write this, I am sipping some sweetened ice green tea and snacking on some salsa flavored tortilla chips. Definitely South western!

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I love black caffeinated teas mainly. Must have a cup of tea every morning to start the day off, and a second cup around 3-30pm. I waft from loose tea to bags, depending on what I find, loose preferred. Whenever I am out shopping, especially at a tea room I'll get something new if they have their own custom blends to try.

the favourites in the cupboard at present:
Tazo Awake
Harney & Sons English Breakfast
Republic of Tea's Rose Petal, Milk Oolong
Constant Comment

One Whole Foods out by me had loose RofT varieties that you could scoop yourself. Bought a little glass canister and made my own custom blend with black, green, decaf, floral etc. for less than $10. Done as a experiment to get more green and decaf tea into my diet.

vintage.vendeuse

A-List Customer
My current favorites:
Whittard's Rhubarb & Cream (a flavored black tea)
Harney & Sons' Indian Nimbu
Both are delicious!

lordwinters

Familiar Face
In my opinion tea should only be black, and should always be had with milk, otherwise it's just flavoured water. My current favourite would probably be Welsh Brew, bought it when I was in Wales about a month ago, drank it all too fast!

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Oh, dear.. I almost forgot we had this thread. Good of you to bring it back up..

Now, take a look at this article claiming Tea 'healthier' drink than water
As it writes:
"Drinking three or more cups of tea a day is as good for you as drinking plenty of water and may even have extra health benefits, say researchers."

Now, unlike you, lordwinters and you, vintage.vendeuse, I like my tea just like water - pure. :D

Veronica T

Familiar Face
Here's a recipe I'd like to share:
Astringent green teas like Sencha do well like this.
Simmer in a quart of water a piece of fresh ginger the size of your thumb for 15 minutes or so. Remove from heat and add green tea bags or loose tea for four cups, and let sit for 5 minutes or more. To your iced tea container (the one you'll store it in to chill) put in 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract, the juice of 1/2 lemon and two teaspoons of sugar or less.

Pour your tea into the container, squeeze out the ginger and the tea leaves or bags, and stir, then chill.

I hope you like.:)

Sencha should not be astringent. Allow the water to cool. At sea level, 100°C / 212°F is the boiling point; simmer is just below that. For brewing green tea the temperatures are 70°C / 158°F — 80°C / 176°F. Of course ten degrees is a broad range and different teas do better with different temperatures; art of tea cannot be reduced to science but a good starting point for most teas would be 75°C / 167°F. When in doubt, error on the side of coolness and keep the water in the yuzamashi another minute.

And a word of caution: When heating water in the microwave, always put a wood chopstick in the container of water. This gives the bubbles something to cling to, otherwise scalding hot water can superheat and 'explode'.

A very funny story: A couple of years ago on a very hot and humid night after filling the gasoline tank of my car at the combini, I hopped inside for a slushie. Cans of tea were behind the glass doors in the refrigerated wall. I could not believe my eyes! I bought two, one for my mother and one for me and hurried to her house. We laughed and laughed.

sodaarizona.jpg

AriZona is using a picture of a geisha even though neither AriZona nor the contents of the can have anything to do with Japan. Look closely at the way her hair is arranged, at her kanzashi / hair adornments, the collar of her kimono and the way in which her obi / sash is tied.

It is not a geisha. It is an oiran. A prostitute.

I wrote to the AriZona Beverage Company but never received a reply. About six months later, the design was changed to the current light green with cherry blossoms.

teacannew.jpg

I like to think I had something to do with that.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm currently travelling independently in Istanbul prior to heading northeast up to various border regions. The tea/chai is just lovely and refreshing. Today, as a thunderous storm raged over the city and lightning arced across a darkened skyline, mixing with the mosque chants to come to prayers, I sat under a canopy, rain drumming against the tarpaulin, drinking hot, sweet Chai :) Bliss..!

Last edited:

lordwinters

Familiar Face
Oh, dear.. I almost forgot we had this thread. Good of you to bring it back up..

Now, take a look at this article claiming Tea 'healthier' drink than water
As it writes:
"Drinking three or more cups of tea a day is as good for you as drinking plenty of water and may even have extra health benefits, say researchers."

Now, unlike you, lordwinters and you, vintage.vendeuse, I like my tea just like water - pure. :D
Scandalous I say!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Believe it or not I thought of 'you' as my plane crossed the Balkans :) Sorry to say the Pilot wouldn't agree to my diversion requests! But Istanbul is so close to you, you should pop over, even for a cup of tea!

Have fun over there Paddy! I expect a boatload of photos when you get back ;)

Tea-wise, I drink a bathtub worth of the stuff everyday. Black rather than green, Indian/Ceylon rather than China. My favourite is the single estate Assam Dimakusi, it's ambrosia but costs an arm and a leg. So usual cuppa is Dilmah's single region English Breakfast or their bog standard leaf tea.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Scandalous I say!
Well.. lol

Believe it or not I thought of 'you' as my plane crossed the Balkans :) Sorry to say the Pilot wouldn't agree to my diversion requests! But Istanbul is so close to you, you should pop over, even for a cup of tea!
Oh, my... you have no idea of the plan I had. :D My plan was to visit Istanbul last year. Alas, I've failed to get days off, and my lovely plan fell apart.
Drop by any time - you know you're invited. :wink:

Tea-wise, I drink a bathtub worth of the stuff everyday.
:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points