• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Which is your favorite G-1?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TXFlyGuy, Jan 2, 2017.

1. TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy Practically Family

By favorite, I mean the best fitting and most flattering.

I have three, and the best one is my Cockpit USA G-1. While it has no extra room, and is a military cut, it simply looks the best when being worn.

2. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

The 1970 Star I just got on ebay is a good one.
    IMG_3124.JPG

Best one I've had was a Willis and Geiger AN-6552.
    IMG_0060.JPG

I think the Navy jackets are the one jacket where you can find a wearable original in line with a repro.

Steve27752, HPA Rep, alfyman and 2 others like this.
  3. TXFlyGuy

There is a Willis & Geiger on Ebay right now, size 44. Current bid $45.

nick123 likes this.
  4. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

I'm out of the jacket game for a few months. :) Thanks

5. galvestonokie

galvestonokie New in Town

Here is one of my favorites--a Ralph Edwards in size 46.

FullSizeRender.jpg

HPA Rep, bn1966, PeterO and 1 other person like this.
  6. El Marro

El Marro One of the Regulars

My favorite is probably my 1972 Star Sportswear. I had the knits replaced when I bought it and it looks brand new.

7. TXFlyGuy

The middle one (Cockpit) is my favorite, because of the fit.
    The US Wings is extremely well made. The Alpha is my wad it up, throw it in the suitcase, beater jacket.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

alfyman likes this.
  8. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

My favourite and best fitting G1 is a 1950's near mint LW Foster size 46 with all orignal parts, goatskin is amazing and the mouton collar is just fabulous and the blackend Conmar zipper is a smooth a silk.

Next in line is a 1971 D series Brill Bros size 46, goatskin hide but with the dynal collar, not in the same league as the LW Foster but still a fantastic jacket.

Then would be my 1968 D series Martin Lane, goatskin hide and mouton collar, followed by my Eastman 55j14 G1 repro and coming last would be the 1977 E series Ralph Edwards made from heavy, thick and squeeky cowhide with the dynal collar.

HPA Rep, bn1966 and El Marro like this.
  9. aswatland

aswatland My Mail is Forwarded Here

HPA Rep and El Marro like this.
  10. TXFlyGuy

Question...do all G-1's run small in size? I have always been advised to buy one (or two) sizes larger than my standard size due to the cut of the typical G-1.
    My US Wings Signature G-1 is a 44R, but is actually a bit too long for me. The Cockpit 42R is spot on, but fits like a second skin. The Alpha in size M fits very nice, and is the shortest of the three.
    My regular size is a 42R.

11. El Marro

El Marro One of the Regulars

In my experience the vintage jackets certainly seem to run small. When I purchased a US Authentic G-1 I spoke to Shaul because I wanted to get one that fit like my size 46 1972 Star Sportswear. After reviewing the measurements he said that his size 44 would be the best match. I went with his recommendation and the new jacket is a bit looser and longer than my vintage G-1, although still a good fit.

12. bn1966

bn1966 One Too Many

I've got a 46" chest & have even found most size 48 issue G-1's too snug across the shoulders. Have generally found them a good fit otherwise but the shoulder issue has been a deal breaker.

13. pilot error

pilot error One of the Regulars

A Pritzker & Sons 55J14[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wild_balls, HPA Rep, alfyman and 3 others like this.
  14. galvestonokie

galvestonokie New in Town

regarding the proper size for you in a G-1, especially vintage jackets, the best way is to measure a jacket that fits you well and then find a G-1 with approximate measures. roger moore, on his jacket website, provides information on many manufacturer'
    s original G-1s. a little time spent on his web will reveal actual measures on a variety of makers and models. roger's web site is a great source: http://moorecustom.com/jackets/

PeterO, bn1966 and El Marro like this.
  15. BlackAce41

BlackAce41 New in Town

20161210_011431.jpg

HPA Rep, alfyman and El Marro like this.
  16. BlackAce41

BlackAce41 New in Town

55J14 by L.W. Foster..

17. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

Great looking and a great fit, Nick! And I'd be happy too relieve you of the AN6552!

nick123 likes this.
  18. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Sold :(

19. HPA Rep

HPA Rep Sponsoring Affiliate

What size is it, pal?

20. Cooper A-2

Cooper A-2 A-List Customer

IMG_8678.JPG IMG_8677.JPG IMG_8674.JPG IMG_8675.JPG IMG_8676.JPG IMG_8678.JPG My favorite:
    a Mint Ralph Edwards B contract in 44", soon listed here for sale.

Marv and RJR like this.