Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your favorite G-1?

Fonzie

One Too Many
Imperial Leathers G-1, I think it’s from the 70’s.
I replaced the fake collar for a rust mouton from Aero and new wool knits.
I think it turned out alright.
7be402dd858b285dc5b7284bdd98357d.jpg
0fcfe2d46ce64e531535f31592163761.jpg

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
Ok, I just counted and I actually have 18 G-1 jackets in total. That’s more than I ever planned on having but that’s the nature of being a collector, I suppose. Afew I haven’t worn in a while but haven’t gotten around to selling. Others (like my original H. L. Block M-422a) are worn on special occasions and are not among my everyday “beaters”.
The only bespoke jacket is my BK M-422 Willis and Geiger repro, tho I did buy a used Lost Worlds G-1 which is extremely nice.
I really prefer finding a used, government issue G-1 (I’ve even sleuthed out details about the pilots who originally owned them, which is half the fun in collecting G-1’s).
Phew there is me worried i had too many at 15! haha! 7 Excelled , 3 Brill 2 Imperial 1 Edwards 2 Cooper .

thor

One Too Many
571A2597-B13F-4FF2-94EF-875E7A9D12CC.jpeg

@Peter 1956 I can see why you horde these Excelled G-1’s! The leather is really impressive and looks identical to the hide on my 1950’s LW Foster as well as my early 60’s Ralph Edwards. And the fact that they aren’t cut as short in the body as those earlier jackets make them a winner. I’d venture to say that these first Navy contract Excelled’s are an exceptional value (I got my size 48 for a hundred bucks) and a great choice for anyone starting their G-1 collection.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
View attachment 113112
@Peter 1956 I can see why you horde these Excelled G-1’s! The leather is really impressive and looks identical to the hide on my 1950’s LW Foster as well as my early 60’s Ralph Edwards. And the fact that they aren’t cut as short in the body as those earlier jackets make them a winner. I’d venture to say that these first Navy contract Excelled’s are an exceptional value (I got my size 48 for a hundred bucks) and a great choice for anyone starting their G-1 collection.

I agree the quality is super and I keep saying no more but if I see a 40 I just have to have it ha ha! I can’t see why people pay top money for reproductions when you can have an original current issue or a good quality vintage. I almost live in mine for about 8 months of the year as the Uk summer is nothing to brag about!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thor

One Too Many
793C0242-FB49-4609-B072-05E899F6D786.jpeg
A2672099-0525-4C45-A3BF-E68FA1C64E47.jpeg ECB67D14-2D0E-4C48-A5B4-E95ACB921CEE.jpeg
On my Excelled G-1 I added an inside drop-pocket on the right side of the lining (I used a heavyweight canvas pouch that was formerly a Willis & Geiger belt bag). It’s large enough for a pair of gloves, any size cel phone, maps, envelopes, airline boarding pass, passport or just about any medium size items that won’t fit in the front patch pockets.
The good thing about finding an economy priced used leather jacket is that you don’t mind experimenting a bit (I don’t think I’d attempt this “field modification” on an expensive, bespoke $1,000 jacket!).

Flightengineer

Practically Family
View attachment 113961 View attachment 113960 View attachment 113958
On my Excelled G-1 I added an inside drop-pocket on the right side of the lining (I used a heavyweight canvas pouch that was formerly a Willis & Geiger belt bag). It’s large enough for a pair of gloves, any size cel phone, maps, envelopes, airline boarding pass, passport or just about any medium size items that won’t fit in the front patch pockets.
The good thing about finding an economy priced used leather jacket is that you don’t mind experimenting a bit (I don’t think I’d attempt this “field modification” on an expensive, bespoke $1,000 jacket!).

Convenient pocket. Given your huge G-1s collection , one jacket should have been subjected to tuning, especially as I understood you use it during work on the ship.

Peter 1956

One of the Regulars
View attachment 113961 View attachment 113960 View attachment 113958
Great jacket you can never have enough Excelled ones haha!

Maverickson

Familiar Face
Hi All,

As the son of USN aviator the G-1 comes quite natural to me. I just spent ten years accumulating the correct jacket and patches to duplicate my father's 1954 issue G-1. That original jacket was stolen out of his VA-152 MAVERICKS office in hanger #23 at NAS Alameda in 1969 http://a4skyhawk.info/article-unit/va152 .

Here is my father his wearing his 1954 model Cagleco 9211A jacket in the early 1960s and a good ten years following it's issue.

View media item 1869
That 1954 9211A Model jacket which I recently completed to pay homage to my late father.

View media item 1871
View media item 1872
Just as it was when it went missing 49 years ago.

Cheers, Dave

Last edited:

Stlawrence

New in Town
I just received a repro G-1. You lads (and ladies) are in for a TREAT!
Anyone considering ordering a repro G-1 or are looking for G-1... WAIT...
You are going to want to see this.

Great news, Brettafet. How does the sizing run? I guess you'd have to get it right the first time - returning something to UK could get expensive.

thor

One Too Many
EDC766CE-0D27-469C-BAD9-620AFA213902.jpeg
5591965B-851B-47E9-BDB0-31CCD75E8F42.jpeg

Here’s a B-model G-1 with a leather collar! Looks either very well modified or else it never had a fur collar?!?
@Stlawrence this might’ve been a perfect “G-1” for you since you were looking for one with a removable fur collar or a straight up leather job.
Unfortunately this one got snagged off eBay when I wasn’t paying attention (it went for only $86!!!!).

Peacoat

Bartender
@thor you better get that one. I love that golden honey colored mouton. This one will be a good fit you. Time to start getting ready for next fall. Or with a heavy wool sweater underneath, it should work on most winter days. These M-422s are hard to find, especially in good condition like that one. Go for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ