• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

Which is your favorite G-1?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by TXFlyGuy, Jan 2, 2017.

1. When I was younger and a tad thinner, my favorite G-1 was this black tag, 1972 Star Sportswear...in big boy size 48. Nothing special or valuable about it. Just a solid, good wearing jacket.

[​IMG]

davyjones007, bn1966 and aswatland like this.
  2. Tkecks

Tkecks Familiar Face

I've owned a lot, and they all fit very differently. The best fit was a sz46 series-E by Ralph Edwards... but I sold it because the goat was thin and the zipper had been replaced to non-standard. I sort of regret it now. Another good fit was an old sz50 repro, but it is cow not goat. Currently wearing a 48L cooper from the 2000's. That is a nice fit, very nice goat.. just not vintage. :(

davyjones007 likes this.
  3. Marv

Marv A-List Customer

wow what a belter, fantastic looking 1962 RE G1 you have there Coop.

Cooper A-2 likes this.
  4. Cooper A-2

Cooper A-2 Practically Family

Thx a lot...
    will be on the market soon...

5. Got this IF 7823 C last year - ~1961-1963 in size 48. Had been looking for years, and finally got one my size.
    Love this jacket.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Grayland

Grayland One Too Many

That looks great, Butte! Love the mouton and the grainy hide.

wild_balls and ButteMT61 like this.
  7. Deacon211

Deacon211 Practically Family

Awesome! Size 48s are hard to come by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davyjones007 and ButteMT61 like this.
  8. Not only is it a 48, it's really a 48+. I think a guy who's fit and "50" would fit into it fine. Not that I want to gain weight, but it's the largest one I've held/seen.

davyjones007 likes this.
  9. Hi All,

The Monarch G-1 has always been a particularly favorite of mine. As a matter of fact I've been looking for a decent size 44 7823 (AER) G-1 Monarch for many years.

A couple of years back I came up with a fine size 42 and am wearing that same jacket today.

[​IMG]

Are there any others with a size 44 Monarch out there? I would be happy to hear from you!

Cheers, Dave

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    davyjones007, bn1966, HPA Rep and 2 others like this.
  10. Cooper A-2

awesome!, great fit.

11. CBI

CBI Practically Family

OK, I'm going to say it, sounding total amateur bit its kinda true.

The Navy kept jacket makers pretty exact in re the specs for making these over the years.

Many contracts look practically identical. I see fewer variations than with A-2's.

I think there is more a difference between eras of the G-1 vs. actual contracts.

IMO

12. Cooper A-2

13. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

You lucky Devil :) If you ever get fed up with it, I know of a good home.....

14. Got $400? :)

15. bn1966

bn1966 Call Me a Cab

Could find it :)

16. Let me ponder. Have been thinking of a major clean-out at home...

17. TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy Practically Family

OK...we all have favorite "vintage" G-1's, but does anyone have a favorite current manufactured G-1? I just sold my Cockpit G-1 as it was a tad too small. But the fit was spot on, and the jacket looked pretty good while being worn. My U.S. Wings Signature G-1 is extremely well made (Schott), but does not look as nice on me when being worn. My inexpensive Alpha G-1 is a nice all around beater jacket, fits pretty good. But none of these three are alike in basic fit, even though they are close to the same size.

18. I had one of the USW top G-1's and it was a nice jacket. Just felt like I needed a "real" one. I don't think I could wear a modern A-2 or G-1 any more...sans the likes of a GW repop.

davyjones007 likes this.
  19. thor

thor One Too Many

IMG_0748.JPG The Cockpit makes a really nice vintage G-1 in a washed (?) super-grainy goatskin. It's available with repro vintage-style aviation patches but I got the plain unpatched version. Very nice jacket with tons of character.

20. TXFlyGuy

TXFlyGuy Practically Family

Very nice. Had not looked at the "100 Mission" version.