Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your favorite G-1?

Brettafett

One Too Many
Yes, I have had my eye on one of those since the Forrstal... I really like the plain simple practical design... And these are super comfy! I had the vintage G-1 (same as this with the fur collar, it was a nice jacket)...

BTW For anyone in the London area... I was in Brighton yesterday, walking around the markets and there were two vintage G-1s in... I think it was called Starfire...? No labels, but one was a smaller size, say 38, probably from the 60s and the other, a medium, 40-42 of a lighter shade, darker collar, say 70s... They were priced from £85 to £150 if I am not mistaken. Take a look.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I am tempted to give this one a try. I know it is a HEAVY jacket, as I own their A-2. Yes, it's cowhide (nothing wrong with that). And the collar is synthetic. But at $217 for a well made jacket, made in the USA by Excelled, and free shipping, how can you go wrong? And I think they even offer free returns.
Excelled G-1.jpg

Just for comparison, here is a photo of my Excelled A-2:
P1010301.JPG

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The mouton collar seems to make the G-1 significantly warmer than the A-2. Anyhow Scott, the fit looks great and might be hesitant to flip a jacket as functional as this one.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
The mouton collar seems to make the G-1 significantly warmer than the A-2. Anyhow Scott, the fit looks great and might be hesitant to flip a jacket as functional as this one.

That collar holds heat real well. Sometimes, the back of your neck will actually get hot. That's when you know it's time for the A-2!

thor

One Too Many
IMG_4476.JPG
IMG_4474.JPG
Thank you Deacon211 for recommending the Cooper G-1. I found this low-priced beauty on the 'Bay; it's in excellent condition and the 46 Long fits me perfectly. I love the juxtaposition of the blue/gold commercial label atop the military-issue white Navy supply system label (dated 2001). The collar is acrylic but super soft and feels like fleecy mouton. Knits are real wool. Happy to add it to my G-1 collection!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I think the Wings G-1 is underrated somewhat. Probably the best constructed of all my jackets. But curious as to why they made it longish? I am a regular size 40 - 42. This jacket is a 44. Two inches shorter, it would be my favorite.
IMG_1735.jpg

Deacon211

One Too Many
You're welcome Thor. I was wearing my Cooper today. It's really starting to break in well and, at the price, I don't get nervous climbing around the airplane in it.

Every time I see that vintage Cockpit G-1, I'm tempted to get one. Everyone I see it on looks good wearing it.

Hard to say why G-1s wear long for some people. I've honestly never had a problem with one and actually, the Cooper wears a bit short....I'm always pulling it down over my waist after raising my arms.

So maybe check one out if you prefer the shorter jacket size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
.....Hard to say why G-1s wear long for some people. I've honestly never had a problem with one and actually, the Cooper wears a bit short....I'm always pulling it down over my waist after raising my arms.

So maybe check one out if you prefer the shorter jacket size.

My Alpha G-1 is real short, almost fits like a B-15. The Cockpit was almost perfect. A U.S. Authentic will arrive here Tuesday. Based on the data, it should have a nice "military" fit. I will give a full report in a dedicated thread. If it does not fit, I may send it back and have them make a custom "one off" jacket for me.
The reviews on their website from customers that have had custom G-1's are extremely praiseworthy.
Stay tuned!

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I agree with Deacon, the Cooper G-1 is short in the body like an early E series, and looser in the chest, shoulders and arms.
My 80's issue Cooper VF-161 tribute jacket that I put together is of excellent quality; the goat is really nice, and the collar I always assumed to be mouton it was so soft.
But, that pattern is without the seam in the leather that meets up with the waistband seam at the bottom, which dates it on sight.

Big J

Call Me a Cab
I recently picked up an early 80's Flightsuits (before G&B) G-1 that is also of excellent quality, with a trim fit and good length. I 'found' a grouping of patches for it; VF-41, Nimitz, CAW 8;
August 19th 1981 BABY!

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Pictures to come tomorrow, as I want natural daylight. Here is the skinny on the G-1...best fit for me of any of my jackets. Shaul was spot on in his suggestion that a 40 would be a "slim" fit, and would be correct for me.

Measurements:
P - P: 22 1/2
Shoulder: 19 3/4
Back: 25
Sleeve: 25
Bottom Waistband: 15

I will post a picture here, but will have a dedicated review in a separate thread tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112