Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which is your favorite G-1?

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
Here is the photo - U.S. Authentic G-1, size 40R
IMG_0041.JPG

thor

One Too Many
Thread resurrection time gentlemen; I obtained this 1986 Orchard M/C military issue G-1 from a P-3 Orion pilot who had worn it while flying patrol and reconnaissance missions in the 1990's. It's a thick, robust yet soft leather which has a nice trim fit. I really like it and it has a true military pedigree to boot. It's a rare size 48 Long which is exactly my preferred size, so lucky me!:)
IMG_6983.JPG
IMG_6984.JPG

thor

One Too Many
IMG_6987.JPG
This jacket might be made of cow hide since it doesn't have the usual goatskin pebbled grain (and by the 1980's I think manufacturers were allowed to officially use cowhide or goatskin for Navy G-1 contracts). There is some great graining and patina with a bit of scuffing and surface wear, just enough to attest it its use inside a P-3 aircraft cockpit.

daw

Familiar Face
Agree with Deacon- Thor, that is a great fit! I have for a long time admired the Orchard G1. I went so far as to have one custom made for me a couple of years ago-I didn't want cowhide, so had it made with goatskin, and I didn't want the synthetic collar so I just had it made out of leather, figuring one day I'd get it changed over to real mouton. Anyway, turned out the jacket, which was supposed to be a 46L was not a L and definitely was not a 46-maybe more like a 42R. Wasn't even close to fitting me! The guy at Orchard shut off all communications so I never could get them to make things right...a great disappointment.
Seeing yours makes me want to try again, but definitely wouldn't do custom made through them.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Too warm to wear in my climate now, but my favorite jacket is my 1968 Martin Lane G-1. It's also the first quality leather jacket I've ever purchased, and my only G-1.

I lucked out -- the sizing is spot on, and its measurements serve as a template for subsequent jacket purchases.

G-1_7.JPG
G-1_8.JPG

Unbelievably sharp jacket. The G-1 is your bag!

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
Guessing it is OK to post an M422A as my favorite G-1. i was lucky enough to purchase this one some years ago and consider it, for me, a grail-level jacket. First, it is in VGC in a large size for a vintage WWII jacket (size 48). actually, it is a bit too large for me. Secondly, it is worn and broken in to where it is very soft and the collar is still quite serviceable. i had the knits replaced locally. Thirdly, i purchased the jacket from the estate, in Indiana, of the vet who wore the jacket. He flew out of Dunkeswell, UK and was awarded the DFC for sinking a German sub in the Bay of Biscay (VPB-105) flying the USN version of the B-24. the pics:

GF back.jpg

GF front.jpg

GF label.jpg

GF front 2.jpg

thor

One Too Many
Wow! Just being a super rare size 48 m-422a is quite a find, but to have the combat history as well is indeed a "holy grail" jacket! Awesome jacket!!!

CBI

One Too Many
I currently only own one patched M422a. I should have a G-1, how did that happen?

Deacon211

One Too Many
Those are two beautiful jackets guys. I'd love to find a nice '60s era jacket in a roomy 46 or 48.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Flightengineer

Practically Family
He flew out of Dunkeswell, UK and was awarded the DFC for sinking a German sub in the Bay of Biscay (VPB-105) flying the USN version of the B-24. the pics:

It's amazing jacket with amazing history.
It's great when you know the history of things that you own now. Not always it is possible to find out...
I'm trying to determine by the patch sewn tracks with the help of my US colleagues and friends try to identify the USN or USMC sqn my G-1 was served. So that later, with the help of collectors, try to find the original patches of that era and put them back in their place)))

galvestonokie

Familiar Face
i had an Orchard jacket some years ago as a daily wearer and like it a lot. unfortunately, i sold it to fund another jacket, which i sold to fund another jacket, and so on. the Orchard was a solid jacket that fit well. don't remember details for sure, but i think goat and dynel.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points