Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which items of vintage clothing would you never wear? And why?

suits lover

A-List Customer
Spats, Bowler,ascot, short pant, boater hatm, pant with gigantic leg, they are call oxford bag I think. Spat would make me like costumed, bowler hat don't apppealed to me,if I don't need a tie I prefer a open collar to a ascot and short pant and oxford bag it simply no.

Last edited:

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Drappa, I too used to shudder at the thought of socks with skirts/dresses (too many people trying it on with the '50s' look) but it CAN look right with ladies 30s sportswear if cleverly combined with the right outfit and most importantly, shoe. So, I guess it's 'Never say Never'.

Dressing based on your shape and what flatters you is what I would have thought everyone did (or at least aimed for), but there might be an illogical side that says 'I love this item so much I will wear it regardless'. I am learning to let go of things that the cut and fit is fine but the colourway does nothing for me. Sometimes it's hard, but I'm getting there.

One thing that I tried and looked so awful in I will never wear it again is a womens military sidecap (I do Living History). It actually made me look like a Nazi woman! Horrifying!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
Spats, Bowler,ascot, short pant, boater hatm, pant with gigantic leg, they are call oxford bag I think. Spat would make me like costumed, bowler hat don't apppealed to me,if I don't need a tie I prefer a open collar to a ascot and short pant and oxford bag it simply no.
You know, it is possible to wear an ascot above your shirt and under your collar, like this:
003723_01.jpg

Frankly I think it cuts quite a dash. You must suit yourself of course, but just suggesting that you shouldn't limit yourself so much :D

Captain Lex

One of the Regulars
Sorry for the threadomancy, but I've caved and worn sock garters and there is no way I will ever go back. It's phenomenal! My socks stay up all day with absolutely zero maintenance!

I didn't buy them with the intention of using them for their designated purpose, however. I am an inveterate wearer of shirt stays and as summer rolled around, I had (yes! had) to start wearing short trousers...but the need for tucked shirts did not disappear. So I bought two-clip sock garters to wear upside-down on my thighs and clip to the bottom of my shirt. It worked perfectly.

Yes, I have no shame.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko