Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Presidents Wore Hats>?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Abe Lincoln was famous for his stove pipe hat. It was his practice, I believe a common practice of the time, to keep important papers rolled up and carried inside the hat. That's how tall it was.
Woodrow Wilson was always seen with a Homburg, and of course FDR was usually seen with his fedora, often with the front flipped up. TR, Taft, Coolidge and Herbert Hoover all wore Homburgs.

warbird

One Too Many
dhermann1 said:
Abe Lincoln was famous for his stove pipe hat. It was his practice, I believe a common practice of the time, to keep important papers rolled up and carried inside the hat. That's how tall it was.
Woodrow Wilson was always seen with a Homburg, and of course FDR was usually seen with his fedora, often with the front flipped up. TR, Taft, Coolidge and Herbert Hoover all wore Homburgs.

And TR wore other fantastic hats throughout his lifetime. Most presidents we don't have pictures of spanning most of their lives, but TR is one with many pictures because of his many years in the public eye. He wore great hats from his time as a young man on.

Boxerken

One of the Regulars
FedoraFan112390 said:
Well I just meant cause I know some later ones like after maybe Johnson didn't wear any so I figured I'd ask which did.

Nixon had great taste in fedora's and suits

Stoney

Practically Family
Don't forget President Truman... He wore many a Fedora, Panama and Pith Helmets as well.

Truman.jpg

htruman.jpg

Although he wore a Top Hat to his Inauguration, here's a link that describes his attire that morning. http://www.trumanlibrary.org/whistlestop/50yr_archive/50yr012049.htm

Truman1949.jpg

That only makes sense since he did work in a haberdashery before running for public office.

IMHO.. The most underrated President of all time.:eusa_clap

YARVTON

New in Town
Presidential Hats

FDR wore hats all the time -- there's that thread about one of his hats for sale. Might have been the best president for the hat industry, if JFK was the worst.

mineral

One of the Regulars
Tomasso said:
In years past I've seen him pull out a fedora on those very cold Chicago Winter days.

Really? That's fantastic! Do you have a picture or know of a link?

I haven't seen a picture of him with a hat anywhere except for the cowboy hat one. I do suspect though he (as well as McCain) would look great in a fedora.

MAB1

Suspended
MAB1 said:
ANOTHER edit: The rule is NO POLITICS. If you cannot abide by that rule, your dues wll be cheerfully refunded. This is the last time we'll have this little chat.

Hey, I hear ya. But, I didn't start this thread and... maybe more than a few things here may be misconstrued.

warbird

One Too Many
MAB1 said:
Hey, I hear ya. But, I didn't start this thread and... maybe more than a few things here may be misconstrued.

You know what I haven't made any comment on your comedy so far, but I have to say many of us on here are political, none more so than me. However I find it so easy to comment on this thread w/o being political that your statement blaming the person who started this thread is insulting.

I wont tell you to hush as it isn't my place not being a mod, however this is a good topic, so ..........

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
mineral said:
Do you have a picture or know of a link?
Sorry, I can't help you there. The times that I've seen Barack wearing a hat were not from photos but in person. We're members of the same health club and have had our lockers in the same row for over a decade, so we've seen pretty much all of each others wardrobe over the years.

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Tomasso said:
Sorry, I can't help you there. The times that I've seen Barack wearing a hat were not from photos but in person. We're members of the same health club and have had our lockers in the same row for over a decade, so we've seen pretty much all of each others wardrobe over the years.

Wow. Thats cool. What kind of fedoras have you seen him in.

warbird

One Too Many
indycop said:
Wasn't there a push for Davy Crockett to run for president? If he didn't end up in the Alamo would Coonskin hats then be popular?:eek: :D

Oh they already were. Ben Franklin made the coonskin all the rage in France and it even was bought into by Americans who had never been to what they considered the frontier. By the way Franklin never wore a coonskin hat before going there, but they took immediately to his rustic sense of wit and charm and he played it up with the prop of a coonskin hat.

I tend to think presidents are a reflection of what Americans are wearing more often than dictating or provoking new styles. I mean Roosevelt never had to make hats popular, they already were. He wore nice ones for certain. Now if a president did today then that could certainly be a boon for hats if they became popular and you could say hey a popular president made the hat so.

It's probably hard to say even as popular as FDR was, did he have any impact on hats because he always wore one, doubtful as almost every man wore them. Now he may have had an impact on the style of bash they had. Somebody much more attuned to bashes of that time would have to answer that. He did tend to like a brim up all the way around.

MAB1

Suspended
Obama in a cowboy hat... Acceptable.

Obama in a stingy brim... Unelectable.

As someone mentioned... In the past, you weren't a man without a hat. Now it says more than it ever has. It's become more fashion than function.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
handlebar bart said:
I would like to see Obama in a fedora. I bet he could really look good in one.

Alas, it will probably never happen. You're unelectable if you campaign in Texas and don't don a cowboy hat for some publicity photos...but outside of that, probably no hats. Many of the electorate would consider Obama in a fedora akin to Coolidge in the headress.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points