Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which Presidents Wore Hats>?

GClark

One of the Regulars
Was just down at the National portrait Gallery in DC and saw this. Obviously a play on LBJ, but cool photo on the cover of Time

20081124_107.jpg

http://www.time.com/time/covers/0,16641,20081124,00.html

whyo

New in Town
It's a play off FDR, the cigarette with a mouth piece and FDR's bashed up hat style he wore allot. Oh and the spec's.

frussell

One Too Many
Yep FDR

Says so right there at the bottom. Unless LBJ was playing Burgess Meredith's version of The Penguin, I don't remember him using a cigarette holder much. Frank.

FriarTuck

New in Town
Wearing hats

If you would read your history & trends in dress, you will soon realize that the hat, as a fashion statement, comes & goes, & never really was worn regularly by men after the 1950's, when, up till then, a man rarely was seen out of doors without one.

GClark

One of the Regulars
FriarTuck said:
That is NOT supposed to be LBJ but FDR.

Yeah yeah - thanks!
I was thinking of a president with 3 letter commonly abreviated name, and that one came out :)

FriarTuck

New in Town
FedoraFan112390 said:
Besides the occaison in which Kennedy wore a hat for his friend, why did he wear hats in other photos? I've seen at least 4 photos on different occaisons where he was either wearing or holding a fedora in his hand. One was with him meeting Khrustchev, and he had his fedora in hand, another was at Opening Day 1961, fedora on head, and still another day was where he was getting dressed up and had a fedora on. So this leaves me with the question: Did he like fedoras or not?
JFK never liked wearing hats, & only wore a top hat to his inauguration because he had to.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
FriarTuck said:
JFK never liked wearing hats, & only wore a top hat to his inauguration because he had to.

He liked his topper, talked about how much he liked it, and carried it around with him playfully pre-inauguration.

It's true he didn't like wearing fedoras, particularly.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
It seems that JFK wore a hat when he needed to take it off. Somewhere in the depths of diplomatic procedure is the answer to "Who takes his hat off first?" If the other head-of-state is wearing a hat, you pretty much need to be wearing a hat or "Who first" becomes moot and diplomacy hates moot. JFK would have worn a hat when the Usher's Office told him to.

By the time LBJ became President hats were not so commonly worn by men but a man whose motto was "This is my ranch and I do as I d*** please" probably didn't much care what anybody else was wearing. He was part of the hat generation and he wore a hat.

Nixon wasn't a hat wearer. Neither were Ford or Carter. As stated before, Reagan commonly wore a hat at home. George Bush and George Bush are Texans. Bill Clinton didn't usually wear a hat but looks good in an OR.

Tiller

Practically Family
FriarTuck said:

That really isn't true. Eisenhower didn't like wearing a top hat and didn't for either of his inaugurations. Instead wearing a homburg, which traumatized Truman supposedly, because he thought a President should always wear a top hat at such occasions, but he followed suit since Eisenhower was the President elect. When JFK won he chose to wear a top hat, and had the old general wear one as well, who followed suit despite his dislike of the hat much as Truman had eight years earlier.

SuperStock_3487-91684.jpg

President Eisenhower and Vice President Nixon.

15206390.jpg

Eisenhower and Nixon with their hats off.

jfk.jpg

President Kennedy and President Eisenhower at Kennedy's inauguration.

Of all the Presidents Coolidge was probably the President who wore the largest variety of hats. Silent Cal was known for loving to dress up and have pictures taken of him. In a way many of us follow his footsteps, although their haven't been to many pictures of members wearing war feathers lol .

calvin-coolidge.jpg

2009-1-22_CalvinCoolidgeWeb-Large.jpg

prh_01_img0063.jpg

calvincoolidge.jpg

prod_28076.jpg

AP_Coolidge_Cowboy400-1225195958.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
oneterrifichog said:
Did a little digging and came up with a few more photos...amazing hats.

billhillglasseskn4.jpg

Huh. Sometimes I do forget that Bill is really a southern boy at heart, with the rodeoesqe hat to prove it. Hillary's hat, however, is wonderful.

{waits for backlash from western crowd}

The Good

Call Me a Cab
Regarding President Obama, has he even been seen donning a brimmed hat since he wore that black cowboy hat (given to him by a supporter, apparently, and pretty cheap) during his campaign? I think I've only seen him in a baseball cap in maybe one or two (can't remember the shots), but that's it. He's definitely overwhelmingly hatless, as most modern world leaders are, but still, I was wondering if photos existed of Obama wearing a hat.

Tiller

Practically Family
J B said:
Regarding President Obama, has he even been seen donning a brimmed hat since he wore that black cowboy hat (given to him by a supporter, apparently, and pretty cheap) during his campaign? I think I've only seen him in a baseball cap in maybe one or two (can't remember the shots), but that's it. He's definitely overwhelmingly hatless, as most modern world leaders are, but still, I was wondering if photos existed of Obama wearing a hat.

Like most modern Presidents, the current White House occupant isn't much of a hat wearer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points