Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Which word for sweater do you prefer?

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Highly unscientific random poll: For this traditional wool garment, do you prefer to use the word sweater, jumper, pullover, jersey, woolly or another term?

cjw314

New in Town
You may be right, DAJE, but I don't see how 'Jumper' makes any more sense. :p

I always thought a pullover was lighter weight garment than a sweater. That's likely because I grew up with thick, itchy but warm shirts that existed solely to keep me warm, and that's not a pullover. In my mind, a pullover is something lighter weight that can layer more readily, but I think people (in the West) now call those 'sweaters' as well, perhaps now with a specification of wool/material type.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Jumper. I doubt anyone outside North America uses the word "sweater".
True and in America women wear "jumpers" (type of dress).

il_fullxfull.343260596.jpg

m0nk

One Too Many
It all really depends on where you're from, it seems. Most who live in, or are from, England, would say jumper, and most who live in, or are from, the US would say sweater. Pullover seems to be a more recent, commercial term used by manufacturers... a way to avoid saying sweatshirt. I could be wrong, though.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In germany it is "Pullover" if it has sleeves and "Pullunder" if it doesn't (=sweater vest)

I used the words "sweater" and "jumper" to search ebay but I don't know what I would use in a conversation.[huh]

Sweater = comes in cardigan or pullover(v-neck or crew-neck).
Cardigan can stand alone = he's wearing a cardigan.
The others would be combined = he's wearing a v-neck sweater, he's wearing a pullover sweater...
Without sleeves, it is a "sweater vest".

DNO

One Too Many
Around this neck of the woods, 'sweater', 'jersey' or 'pullover' all work, although sweater is probably the most common usage. A 'jumper', as A.C. pointed out, is a type of woman's dress.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
Down here pretty much any heavy knit garment is called a sweater. Where I come from originally, this is also properly called a sweater;

CCM-Los-Angeles-Kings-99-Wayne-Gretzky-Black-NHL-Hockey-Jersey.jpg

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to think sweater is what I would refer to the item, regardless if you pull it on or button one up. However, the Military in the USA does still use the word, jumper, for it's Naval uniform for enlisted Men's top. It is made of wool, has the piping on it, and you pull it on...very traditional as it is. I myself found it sort of "odd" when I first heard of it being called or labeled a jumper, as the term was normally associated with female attire at the time I was in the service.

Lt.Tom

Familiar Face
:cool:Nice hat Dude; Ha! They seem to call them jerseys in the stores now, but I was brought up calling it a sweater. Of course as of the time I was born, goalies weren't even wearing masks yet, and official NHL sweaters looked like they were knit by their moms...............

Anyway as lucky as I felt to get to watch Gretzky play, when I was a young man, this was the guy;

marcel-dionne-la-kings-signed-vintage-hockey-jersey-31-t550261-330.jpg

I appologize, and now return you to your discussion of sweaters/jumpers...............

Last edited:

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
Nice hat Dude; Ha! They seem to call them jerseys in the stores now, but I was brought up calling it a sweater. Of course as of the time I was born, goalies weren't even wearing masks yet, and official NHL sweaters looked like they were knit by their moms...............
If memory serves correct wasn't Gump Worsley the last unmasked goalie?I only posted Gretzky's Oilers "sweater"cause I seen the Kings one and figured it would be appropriate.

nice hat dude!

One Too Many
:cool:Nice hat Dude; Ha! They seem to call them jerseys in the stores now, but I was brought up calling it a sweater. Of course as of the time I was born, goalies weren't even wearing masks yet, and official NHL sweaters looked like they were knit by their moms...............

Anyway as lucky as I felt to get to watch Gretzky play, when I was a young man, this was the guy;

marcel-dionne-la-kings-signed-vintage-hockey-jersey-31-t550261-330.jpg

I appologize, and now return you to your discussion of sweaters/jumpers...............

Marcel Dionne good player,but those sweaters /jerseys or jumpers whatever name you want sucked bad!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk