Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whiskey

matei

One Too Many
Regarding whiskey, I am partial to Redbreast... and dare I say it, Paddy! :eek:

I am alergic to Scotch (really - even though I like it, it makes me ill) - but I will fight my allergy for a wee bit of Balvenie.

My fave drinks are Stolichnaya, Segarra or Deva absinth (never got to trying out the highly-rated Swiss like La Bleu).

However, for me nothing beats a good palinca (Romanian spirit - like poitin or firewater)!

:cheers1:

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I can't allow myself to purchase Knob Creek. Just look at the bottle! Maker's Mark I've been meaning to get. My uncle was at their, I guess, hometown bar and grill, and tried some kind of sampler, like an ounce of six different kinds of their Bourbon. Now that sounds like a tasty 6 ozs.

I was in Kiev and they had a sampler for beer (Ukrainian beer is delicious!) and now I'm convinced samplers are great times.

I have to admit though: w/Jim Beam I usually mix ginger ale.

W/Scotch, though I have yet to venture on this @home, I usually order a Godfather. Sometimes at a bar, I'll order it straight, but usually only if I'm trying something new. For me, The Godfather is my usual. Scotch and almond liqeur. Blasphemous probably if the whiskey is worthy enough.

Yukon Jack sounds like a try for me. My friends tell me Southern Comfort tastes like cough syrup. I tell them I've been preempting a cough for years.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
matei said:
My fave drinks are Stolichnaya, Segarra or Deva absinthe (never got to trying out the highly-rated Swiss like La Bleu).:cheers1:
Segarra 45¬? is still nice, avoid the Segarra 68¬? verte, which was colored with wormwood. (Even Senor Segarra doesn't like it)

Now that the Swiss have lifted their ban, you should be able to get Bugnon's (Fromerly) Clandestine La Bleue fairly easy now, as well as K?ºbler 53¬?(Especially if you are in the UK)

Now that the Jades, Montmarte, and Eichelberger are easily available, you can get a decent Absinthe Verte these days, with having to fool with Deva.
(The days of Deva being considered decent are long over)

I'm a little partial to this vintage stuff, and goes well with Rye in a Sazerac.
Herbsaint5copy.jpg

matei

One Too Many
Ah, good to know - thanks for that, Absinthe_1900!

I'll have to get some of the better Swiss absinthe. I've been out of touch with the goings on in the world of the green fairy.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
I'm afraid your original premise of limited funds isn't being addressed here with regard to some of the selections. I'm a big fan of Maker's Mark and Wild Turkey (the latter I need to remember to sip VERY slowly). Many of the trendy "small batch" bourbons are delectable --- but, all of these are rather pricey.

For a more moderately priced bourbon, and one you might occasionally find on sale, I'd suggest Old Forester. It's a great middle range bourbon and the one most often found at big parties around here.

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
And a question for you whisky afficianados...

I've never been the slightest bit bi-whisky and nor are most of my friends. We're either Scotch or Bourbon but rarely both. Are any of you bi-whisky?

AcmeNews

New in Town
Bourbon

Greetings,

I am new here and certainly don't wish to cause trouble, but I feel I must further the understanding of Bourbon. Scotrace made an observation about Bourbon that is a common misconception.

According to U.S. law, Bourbon can be manufactured in any state. However, only Kentucky can put its name on the label as part of the branding. You can make Bourbon in Iowa, but you can not label it as "Iowa Straight Bourbon Whiskey." If you make your whiskey in Versailles, Kentucky, you may label it as "Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey."

For it to be whiskey, it must be distilled with at least 51% corn.

Jack Daniels is not bourbon because it is 1: sour mash; and 2: charcoal -mellowed, which means it's filtered slowly through sugar-maple charcoal.

As for my Bourbon preferences: I like Knob Creek, Woodford Reserve, and Maker's Mark. I drink them neat unless it's in the summer, when I add one ice cube.

Enjoy your Bourbon, and make yourselves some mint julips (especially on May 1 when the Kentucky Derby is run).

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Uncle Whiskey

Coming from a big family of BIG BOOZERS, I prefer hard liquor.:rolleyes: My dad and uncles see me drink and ask; "you're not going to drink all that are you?" I tell them; "I've learned from the best":eusa_doh: Plus beer makes you fat and I promised myself when I was 16 that I'd never be a fat old man. So I like whiskey and bourbons. I'm not into the expensive stuff. Something I can polish off in a sitting or two. For me; I like Johnny Walker, red, black and blue, Makers Mark, and Wild Turkey.:D usually straight, if the night is young then on the rocks. A good Jack and Coke will also suffice.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Gross Out and Whiskey Value

I note that Jack Scorpion lives, at least
half the time, in Berkeley, CA. and is on
a tight budget for booze.

You might want to check the Grocery Outlet
from time to time. Not too long ago they had
a respectable single malt scotch (Glencoe,
http://www.whiskymag.com/whisky/brand/glencoe/whisky558.html )
for about $9 a bottle. Some nice Irish whiskey whose
name I forget, too. Mostly the "Gross Out" is an odd
experience, but it's worth it for the occasional deep discount
on whiskey or Belgian ale or whathaveyou.

Recently I had the opportunity to try a range of
bourbons and was surprised at how much they varied,
once you started putting out the big bucks. Strangely,
I can't recall any of the names of the many whiskeys
I drank that night...

AcmeNews said:
I meant to say that in order for it to be Bourbon, it must be distilled with at least 51% corn.

Whew! Thanks for clarifying. I almost spewed when i read the original post :eek: Corn in whiskey! Indeed.

Just came over here to report on my latest purchase. For the first time i tried the "Isle of Jura" single malt - i followed my typical liquor store policy (buy the cheapest on the shelf) and it didn't fail me. This is a fine whiskey. A little more bite than your typical mainland whiskey, but nicely mellow flavours. Under $30 too. Not bad for a single malt.

bk

p.s. I'm not bi-whiskey. Single malts only. I don't do blends, or bourbon, or sour mash.

photobyalan

A-List Customer
Lincsong said:
Coming from a big family of BIG BOOZERS, I prefer hard liquor.:rolleyes: My dad and uncles see me drink and ask; "you're not going to drink all that are you?" I tell them; "I've learned from the best":eusa_doh: Plus beer makes you fat and I promised myself when I was 16 that I'd never be a fat old man. So I like whiskey and bourbons. I'm not into the expensive stuff. Something I can polish off in a sitting or two. For me; I like Johnny Walker, red, black and blue, Makers Mark, and Wild Turkey.:D usually straight, if the night is young then on the rocks. A good Jack and Coke will also suffice.

Beer does not make you fat. Gluttony and sloth make you fat. Don't blame an innocent beverage for America's obesity problem.

Bourbon and other distilled spirits are much, much more hazardous to your health when misused. Trust me on this, I'm recovering from pancreatitis caused at least partially by excessive Bourbon consumption. I haven't had a drop of alcohol for three months now, and I am sure I will never be able to go back to my overindulgent ways; that is, if I ever drink again.:( But no sympathy. It is, after all, my own fault. There are many worse fates than having to stop drinking.

That said, I still love Bourbon even if I can't drink it right now. If I had to say what Bourbon I like best, I'd have to say Wild Turkey Rare Breed. Just make sure you enjoy it in moderation.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
photobyalan said:
There are many worse fates than having to stop drinking.

Maybe having a skunk stapled to your head. Or being forced to wear a leisure suit. Beyond that, I give.

(kidding - glad you're on the mend. Hope my luck holds)

WEEGEE

Practically Family
Rare Breed

Photobyalan,

I was going to talk rare bird...got a bottle for X-Mas from a friend a

slow consumed beverage..three ice cubs a shot and 1 1/2...slow sip.

Done...

:eek:fftopic: Nice meeting you...your a good man...my sense and i am

often right...nice shot of your son in hat!

the most regards,

WeeGee

AcmeNews

New in Town
Indeed, Kat, the Derby is on the first Saturday in May. Thanks for catching that. I didn't read my message very well. It must've been all that Bouron...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana