Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whiskey

shamus

Suspended
Lincsong said:
Coming from a big family of BIG BOOZERS,.... Something I can polish off in a sitting or two. For me; I like Johnny Walker, red, black and blue, Makers Mark, and Wild Turkey.:D usually straight, if the night is young then on the rocks. A good Jack and Coke will also suffice.

A sitting or two? I think I still have a few whiskeys that have doubled in age just sitting on the shelf..

If you come from an alcholic family and you "polish off" a bottle in one sitting... you might need to seek help.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Let's see;

shamus said:
A sitting or two? I think I still have a few whiskeys that have doubled in age just sitting on the shelf..

If you come from an alcholic family and you "polish off" a bottle in one sitting... you might need to seek help.

My blood pressure is 109 over 88, my heart rate is 57 beats a minute, my cholesterol is 140, I'm 6 foot 188 pounds, I'd say I'm good to go. No AA meetings yet.:)

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
i'm really surprised to hear so many recommendations for Maker's. at least to me, it tastes so.... unrefined.

someone here mentioned Woodford Reserve which is indeed a fine bourbon. my favorite, however, is Basil-Hayden's. it is so smooth and mellow, perfect for drinking neat. at around $40 a bottle, i find it well worth the price.

i can't do scotch and only do Jameson's when the bar has nothing better and i don't have my flask. after seeing recommendations for rye, i believe i will have to try that soon.

BuddyJ

One of the Regulars
I'm with you KittyT. Makers is one of my least favorites. I prefer Knob Creek, but it looks like there are a lot more brands to try based on these threads.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Hi Folks,

I keep a big bottle of Jim Beam Green handy for mixing with coke or whatever, but my normal after-work drink is Maker's Mark over ice. Then, for my rare quiet times in front of the fireplace, its Blanton's---neat.

Atticus

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I hope no one minds my putting in of one without an "e".

I love whisky and most of all single malts. My favourites tend to be the Islay malts with Laphroaig and Ardbeg being particularly special to me.

2The9s

New in Town
I like the high end Bourbons. Anything around 100 proof does it for me, on the rocks please.

Here are my regular choices,

Knob Creek
Makers Mark
Evan Williams SB
Buffalo Trace
Weller Antique
Elijah Craig
Wild Turkey 101

I also love George Dickle 12 Special from Tenn. It's a best buy in whiskey.

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Usually drink Makers. Also Jack. For a real treat, find Old Rip Van Winkle. Needs a little water to bring out the flavor, but XX#%$ is it good!

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
My wife is Scottish and we spend quite a bit of time up there. This weekend i'll be staying with some friends at Gleneagles where we're having a whisky tasting expert guide us through some of their single malts. I'll report back all I remember (may get a little fuzzy towards the end).

Particularly looking forward to tasting: Coal Ila, Glenlossie, Blair Athol, Clynelish

Ranger01

New in Town
The only thing I can drink is Whisky/ Burbon/ Brandy. I dont claim to be a connoisseur by any means but Ive tasted alot of things that are out there.

My favourites are:
Jack Daniels (always have atleast one bottle around, I am currently finishing off a custom ordered barrel of it).

Evans and Williams (not much to say)

Bulleit Burbon (pretty good stuff)

and while not really a whisky but damn good:
some expensive stuff that my friend Bill gave me a flask of one time... all I remember was it was french, $175 a bottle, and made by one of the last 3 family owned companys in france... really smooth stuff, I want to find out what it is, but Bill has since moved somewhere and I cant get ahold of him to find out... any idea of what it is?

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
Well after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend in the Highlands i'm happy to report my whisky expectations were well served. Favourite of the trip most probably was the Lagavulin 18 yr old, quite peaty like the Islay malts tend to be but had a sweetness to it that balanced it out.

Other notable tipples, the Oban Distiller's edition which i'm told is finished in a sherry cask and the Coal Ila Cask Strength which goes down smooth then spreads like a lava flow inside.

Also on display but well, well past our budget was a rare Johnnie Walker blend, a special anniversary edition of their Blue Label which sells for around - gulp - £3000!

I guess bottles like this are bought as investments which is kind of a shame as i reckon a whisky needs to be drunk! (as do I ;) )

JakeHolman said:
Well after a thoroughly enjoyable weekend in the Highlands i'm happy to report my whisky expectations were well served. Favourite of the trip most probably was the Lagavulin 18 yr old, quite peaty like the Islay malts tend to be but had a sweetness to it that balanced it out.

Other notable tipples, the Oban Distiller's edition which i'm told is finished in a sherry cask and the Coal Ila Cask Strength which goes down smooth then spreads like a lava flow inside.

Also on display but well, well past our budget was a rare Johnnie Walker blend, a special anniversary edition of their Blue Label which sells for around - gulp - £3000!

I guess bottles like this are bought as investments which is kind of a shame as i reckon a whisky needs to be drunk! (as do I ;) )

Lagavulin and Oban are good choices, as is just about anything Cask Strength.
I would never pay 3,000 for a blend. Just ain't gonna happen. ;) :p

Creeping Past

One Too Many
I usually have a couple of good bottles of whisky on the go. Up to a couple years ago it was all Islay — Lagavulin and Laphroaig — after years of downing a big haul of Speyside cask strength received as a present.

At the moment, it's The Glenlivet and Old Pulteney. The smooth and the salty.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Creeping Past said:
I usually have a couple of good bottles of whisky on the go. Up to a couple years ago it was all Islay — Lagavulin and Laphroaig — after years of downing a big haul of Speyside cask strength received as a present.

At the moment, it's The Glenlivet and Old Pulteney. The smooth and the salty.

You have good taste Creeping Past :)

I like both Speysides and Islay, but drift towards Speysides when the weather is warmer and Islays during the nippier months.

Story

I'll Lock Up
In honor of Memorial Day

JimBeamBottleWithOHlogo_sm.jpg

Jim Beam® supports Operation Homefront with a $175,000 donation and limited-edition label. The company's contributions will help fund programs to aid military families, as well as encourage its patrons to support our troops. See www.TheStuffInside.com.

http://www.operationhomefront.net/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana