Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whiskey

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I'm open to trying almost any kind of brown liquor at least once. When I'm buying it for myself, though, I look for a seven year old (or older) straight sour mash bourbon. I also prefer the lower proofs...the minimum 80 being ideal...because I tend to drink and not sip.

For daily relaxation, I like Makers Mark or Jim Beam Black. I like them because they have a dry, toasted-grain taste that I like. I really don’t much care for sweeter bourbons like Knob Creek and Elijah Craig…but that is just me. I know that they are both excellent brands. For special occasions, I keep a bottle of Blanton's or Russell’s Reserve in the cabinet. But I sip those high-end brands. At 90 proof, they’ve got a bit more horsepower than my normal drink.

I've posted this photo before, but I still like it. Can't you just feel your blood pressure falling looking at it?

housephotos020.jpg

AF

I like this setup. American or Mexican? Also which amp is that? All in all, good combination.

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
That photo was taken back when I was going through a bit of a blues phase. Its a 1994 American Standard and the amp is a Blues Junior. I've still got them both, but I'm playing almost 100% acoustic these days.

I plan to retire in a couple of years. My dream is to build a little "party barn" behind my house. The downstairs will be for boat storage and the loft will have a well-stocked bar, a wood stove and a small sound stage in the corner. I plan to play more (loud) electric, then.

AF

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
...I plan to retire in a couple of years. My dream is to build a little "party barn" behind my house. The downstairs will be for boat storage and the loft will have a well-stocked bar, a wood stove and a small sound stage in the corner. I plan to play more (loud) electric, then.

AF

Hi Atticus

It's VERY VERY difficult to NOT be reminded of the Who's My Generation when you write that. On the other hand, most of them made it past 50 too. :D

Later

m_luvsartdeco

One of the Regulars
I'm open to trying almost any kind of brown liquor at least once. When I'm buying it for myself, though, I look for a seven year old (or older) straight sour mash bourbon. I also prefer the lower proofs...the minimum 80 being ideal...because I tend to drink and not sip.

For daily relaxation, I like Makers Mark or Jim Beam Black. I like them because they have a dry, toasted-grain taste that appeals to me. I really don’t much care for sweeter bourbons like Knob Creek and Elijah Craig…but that is just me. I know that they are both excellent brands. For special occasions, I keep a bottle of Blanton's or Russell’s Reserve in the cabinet. But I have to sip those high-end brands. At 90 proof, they’ve got a bit more horsepower than my normal drink.

I've posted this photo before, but I still like it. Can't you just feel your blood pressure falling looking at it?

housephotos020.jpg

AF

Normally, I'm a Jack Daniels, Gentleman Jack kind of girl..but I have to admit...I did just finish a bottle of Makers Mark this past weekend...oops :)

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
That photo was taken back when I was going through a bit of a blues phase. Its a 1994 American Standard and the amp is a Blues Junior. I've still got them both, but I'm playing almost 100% acoustic these days.

Nice setup. I have a mexican tele (got it from a friend in high school) and the 4x10 60 watt Hotrod Deville (that's tube, not solid state). That is a fun, if loud, amp. I basically never get a chance to play it any more. I play a bit of acoustic, but mostly just sing.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Nice rig Atticus, those little Blues Jrs. are nice sounding little amps.
I am fond of single malt scotch but I love bourbon especially Maker's Mark.

Bird Lives

A-List Customer
I'll have to agree with Sir Sean Connery when he said, "Scotch, straight up, any Single Malt will do..."
I like all the regions...Due to wallet restraints these days, I'm perfectly happy with Glenlivet 12....Seems just by being a Single-Malt, a Whisky becomes very Special...I haven't met one yet I didn't like....The opposite is almost true of Blends....Although I must admit I have a soft spot for "Teachers Highland Cream"...I prefer it to most Jack Daniels' labels...except 'Green' which is a truly great, all Single-Malt Blend...

But if you are mixing with it...then everything changes...even Johnnie Walker 'Red' is exceptable...although I still prefer Teachers...
Bourbon is easy to like...And I spent a few years in the Caribbean and there are many local Rum distilleries and many Connisseur Sipping Rums...but hard to find else-where....

Jack Daniels Black Label is easy to find everywhere in the world, and always safe....Jim Beam and Coke, always safe...
But if I have the Bread....Single-Malt Scotch is always my first choice...

cklos

Banned
:eusa_clap
I'll have to agree with Sir Sean Connery when he said, "Scotch, straight up, any Single Malt will do..."
I like all the regions...Due to wallet restraints these days, I'm perfectly happy with Glenlivet 12....Seems just by being a Single-Malt, a Whisky becomes very Special...I haven't met one yet I didn't like....The opposite is almost true of Blends....Although I must admit I have a soft spot for "Teachers Highland Cream"...I prefer it to most Jack Daniels' labels...except 'Green' which is a truly great, all Single-Malt Blend...

But if you are mixing with it...then everything changes...even Johnnie Walker 'Red' is exceptable...although I still prefer Teachers...
Bourbon is easy to like...And I spent a few years in the Caribbean and there are many local Rum distilleries and many Connisseur Sipping Rums...but hard to find else-where....

Jack Daniels Black Label is easy to find everywhere in the world, and always safe....Jim Beam and Coke, always safe...
But if I have the Bread....Single-Malt Scotch is always my first choice...

Lord Flashheart

A-List Customer
Wise words on the Glenlivet BL although the only thing I would mix JW red with is paint brushes, I'm not a big fan.

If you get the chance, try a Glenmorangie Cellar 13 which I think you can only buy in Tain (the distillery), its outstanding. It has a fresh salty note to my palate. Apparently its called cellar 13 as this is where it is stored (no shecht!) and is the bond closest to the Dornoch Firth hence the salty note.

Regards

Flashy

William Stratford

A-List Customer
As I have yet to find a single malt Scotch that I like, currently there are three bottles on the side; a Jamesons, a Canadian Club and a Famous Grouse...all of which are good enough to drink neat.

kyboots

Practically Family
If we are going to pay for bourbons like Jack Daniels or Markers Mark, both nice excellent products: don't mix just pour over ice and sip. They are too expensive to sugar down with a another brown beverage. BTW I find it difficult to like Scotch since I prefer bourbon, and most people I know prefer one over the other not both!--John

Last edited:

alsendk

A-List Customer
reading quite a few of the remarks about favorite Whisk(e)ys, I get the feeling that there are many americans in here at Fedora Lounge, preferring american Whiskeys and bourbons.
It` s funny....while new cars, houses, train tickets general tax pressure exeeding 50% of every poorheaded dane.....then Liquer is actually cheep in denmark, of which the school seeking students know how to take advantage of unfortunally.

Having survived my own youth rather succesfully without any liver damage, I have reached a position in accordance to consuming alcohol, where I am able to sit in my favorite leather sofa, with a little round glas in my hand, warming a "two finger whisky" :O) quoted from one of the trivial series books from the seventies... private eye Nick Carter I believe it was?
Meaning a whisky that large that it covers both littlefinger and indexfinger - unfortunally my favorite whisky glass is smaller.

I have a feeling that my personal favorite whisky`s are expensive in US, and perhaps even not even possible to purchase for a fair amount of money?

But after years of sipping a glas of whisky on a cosy friday evening, after returning from the job, my favorite list is as follows..with the 1. first as my absolute best taste of alcohol

1. Redbreast 12 year Ireland
2. Ardbeg 10 year. Islay
3. Lagavulin 15 year. Islay
4. Caol Ila 10 year. Islay
5. laphroaigh 15 year. islay
6. Bowmore 15 year Islay
6. Bunnahabhain islay
7.Bruichladdich

Exept for Redbreast and Bunnahabhain all these Whisky`s are strong, with a flavour of peat, seaweed and salt...and a little tar
whereas the Redbreast is so delicious..in least in my opinion.

Thank you so much letting me have my say about these serious matter :O)
Allan

Last edited:

CodeRed

One of the Regulars
Recently purchased a bottle of the Bulliet rye, it didn't last very long. Tasted much smoother than Bourbon. I think that I am a big fan...any advice on other brands?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Toisach

New in Town
Balvanie Double Oak or Sherry Cask
Talisker
Bushmills Black

I always have a flask with one of them handy for purely medicinal, antiseptic and restorative purposes.
For example, the two and half hours I spent stuck in an elevator last autumn, that time went MUCH faster and I was able to trade
a nip for a Cliff's Bar from one of the other gents stranded with me.

NOT a bourbon man here, Scotch all the way...

Lord Brett

New in Town
My favourite single malt is a lovely 14 year-old Glenlivet I was given as a birthday present a few years ago.

The two best blended whiskeys I've tried to date are Johnny Walker Black Label and Paddy, an Irish blend I picked up a bottle of on a trip to Southern Ireland. Quite hard to come by in the UK, but a nice sipping whisky which is light on the palate.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points