Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whiskey

Vincent Parry

New in Town
When i can get my hands on it i shoot for Springbank 18. It's hell of an expensive drink but gotta have it!

By the way this is my first post on FL. :)

alsendk

A-List Customer
For a Rye I do prefer Jim Beam yellow label, but Old Overholt is very smooth and cost little more , as to Irish whisky Powers is by far the best that I have sipped.

Pleez, then you HAVE to try the Irish Redbreast Whiskey as well

redbreast.jpg
[/IMG]

alsendk

A-List Customer
I am a big fan of Scotch single malts. What's interesting, though, is that my tastes seem to have changed over the years: 10 years ago, my list would have looked a lot like this one, dominated by peaty Islay whiskies. But lately, I've sort of lost my taste for the Laphroaigs, Caol Ilas, and Lagavulins, and tend to prefer something a little less harsh now. For instance, Highland Park or Talisker.

Actually Jens, I have it more and more the same way as you. My number one Whiskey now is the irish Redbreast....a mild tasteful piece of heaven :O)
Only rarely I tend to buy an Ardbeg, and lately I have developed an expensive taste for Rum

hatguy1

One Too Many
Looks like you started the right post. For me I am like you Jim Beam for my average drink, but when I want a little more I go for bushmills Irish whiskey. Another Irish whiskey is Powers, although sometimes a little hard to find. If you are ever in Colorado or around try Breckenridge bourbon. I could not believe how smooth it was. Living in the heart of bourbon country I was surprised that someone from the west could compete with us hillbillys. If you like Jack spend a little more and get gentleman jack. Worth the extra $. And if all else fails go with KY. moonshine, if it doesn't kill you then put it in your gas tank.

Aye that, gear-guy. I've come to have quite the affection for Bushmills Blackbush product meself. It's aged in charred oak sherry casks and has quite a smoky, lovely taste. AND they've also come out with an Irish Honey whiskey that OMG there's not enough o's in smooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooth to describe that.

BettysNephew

New in Town
I am fortunate enough to have access to Templeton Rye, a prohibition era whiskey that was brewed illegally in the town of Templeton, Iowa. It was supposed to be Al Capone's favorite whiskey. They have a website if you want to learn more about this resurrected whiskey that has quite a following.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I am a big fan of Scotch single malts. What's interesting, though, is that my tastes seem to have changed over the years: 10 years ago, my list would have looked a lot like this one, dominated by peaty Islay whiskies. But lately, I've sort of lost my taste for the Laphroaigs, Caol Ilas, and Lagavulins, and tend to prefer something a little less harsh now. For instance, Highland Park or Talisker.

Hi

I have both the Laphroag and the Talisker in the cabinet. I also have some of the Templeton.

Later

m0nk

One Too Many
I've seen people post about modern ryes, and of course that's the drink of choice for the film noir grizzled detective, but I had never had it before. A few weeks back I bought some Bulleit rye to make a Manhattan, and I have to say it was one of the best I've ever had. Next up, I got a bottle of Templeton on Friday, and it's even better. Not only does it make a good cocktail, but it's also great on the rocks and even neat. Templeton Rye has become my go-to whiskey.... of course, now I have to "go-to" the store and get more....

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Both Templeton and Bulleit are distilled at the old LDI plant in Lawrenceburg, Indiana, using the same mash bill of 95% rye and 5% malted barley, so essentially they start off the same. Since these are brokered whiskies, they're aged and bottled in different locations by different companies, and that accounts for any taste difference. Templeton is building their own distillery and will eventually offer their own distillations, but not yet. In fact, many of the ryes available now are brokered from the old LDI plant since the rye demand caught everyone off guard. George Dickel is another one. Canada is another source for brokered ryes. Whistle Pig, for instance, brings in a 100% rye from Canada and bottles it in Vermont. Masterson's is another one that comes from Canada.

Many of these brands are distilling and aging their own ryes, so expect to see them show up within the next 5 years or so, but for now, a lot of these come from the same source. Even major brands are starting to look at ryes. Jack Daniels has an unaged rye out right now, so in a few years that one could be an interesting choice after it has aged in charred oak barrels, especially if they use the Lincoln County process on it.

Brad

m0nk

One Too Many
That's some great info there, and after spending many-a-crazy night finding my favorite scotch, I'm looking forward to that challenge with a greater selection of rye.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Visitors to our sceptred Isle, should make a point of visiting Scotland, and of it's Capital: Edinburgh. There on the Royal Mile, in the shadow of Edinburgh Castle, they will discover The Scotch Whisky Experience. An amazing place, amazing aromas and single malts that taste, well my wife isn't given to whisky, let alone poetry, but as she put it: "Like an angel, crying on your tongue."

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
How about Moonshine? With "Moonshiners" and other (so-called) reality shows about illegal distilling on TV nowadays, I have seen a huge resurgence in white-lightning within the past year or two. Seems everyone knows someone who has a still these days. I even have a few clients who now regularly "tip" me in moonshine. Of course I am in the heart of the South, where moonshining has always gone on, but not quite so widespread. The upside to this is that these "hobby" distillers, who make it mostly only for family and friends, tend to put an emphasis on quality over quantity, so the quality has risen greatly too.

Last edited:
How about Moonshine? With "Moonshiners" and other (so-called) reality shows about illegal distilling on TV nowadays, I have seen a huge resurgence in white-lightning within the past year or two. Seems everyone knows someone who has a still these days. I even have a few clients who now regularly "tip" me in moonshine. Of course I am in the heart of the South, where moonshining has always gone on, but not quite so widespread. The upside to this is that these "hobby" distillers, who make it mostly only for family and friends, tend to put an emphasis on quality over quantity, so the quality has risen greatly too.

Moonshine would be a nice tip. :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points