Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I am off to London tomorrow - are you telling me it's sub roll neck and Irvin weather?????

Yes, it much colder than we would expect here in London at this time of the year and very rainy too, so your sub roll neck & Irvin would be a good idea. (I Have been wearing my Sub Roll necks a lot recently.) Crazy wether world wide I think. Have a safe journey and an enjoyable visit to London. Rgds Steve.

alex_kaeda

New in Town
Does anyone have any photos of the RAF/RN roll neck sweaters being worn by combat/front line ground troops, during WWII?

I kinda want an excuse to buy one for WWII re-enacting because I think they're dead sexy.....

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Commandos and RN Sweaters

Does anyone have any photos of the RAF/RN roll neck sweaters being worn by combat/front line ground troops, during WWII?

I kinda want an excuse to buy one for WWII re-enacting because I think they're dead sexy.....

Hi Alex,

All I can think of would be the British Commandos. They operated with the Royal Navy so there was plenty of opportunity to swap kit.

Lord Lovat is depicted as wearing a white RN roll neck in the movie, "The Longest Day". I do not know if this was correct or not.

You check for photos on the web under these subjects.

John

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ah Hell, I just bought one to wear. Didn't need an excuse, just bought one. You hang out here too much longer and you'll start needing hats, and sport coats, and other old timey stuff that you didn't even know about last year.

later

alex_kaeda

New in Town
Hi Alex,

All I can think of would be the British Commandos. They operated with the Royal Navy so there was plenty of opportunity to swap kit.

Lord Lovat is depicted as wearing a white RN roll neck in the movie, "The Longest Day". I do not know if this was correct or not.

You check for photos on the web under these subjects.

John
*grins* watching that film is what made me want one ;)

Combing the internet for pictures is what led me to this forum, and this post.

Ah Hell, I just bought one to wear. Didn't need an excuse, just bought one. You hang out here too much longer and you'll start needing hats, and sport coats, and other old timey stuff that you didn't even know about last year.

later

I fear you're right. I already have a couple fedoras, and a not-gangster flat cap that I wear all the time... the rest of the ensamble will certainly follow.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
I checked a few Commando books. Pictures of the raid on Vaagso show several Commandos wearing white roll neck sweaters under their battledress. If you do a search for "Commandos raid Vaagso" should turn up a few pics.

John

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I was watching the UK TV Programme, "Dr Who" the other day and some of the white sub mariner roll necks where being worn in one of the scenes.

SHOWSOMECLASS

A-List Customer
Sorry too many Indiana Jones movies. I remember one is worn by a black boat Captain. They were trying to find "a boat for passage" at night on a wharf. Looking forward to wearing mine on the motorcycle this fall.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I have often wondered if anyone knows why the RAF & Royal Navy chose to make these Airforce/Submariner Roll Neck Sweaters in white/off white, bearing in mind that they were going to be worn in locations on board that would be quite, dirty/messy/oily, I should have thought that Black or Navy blue would have been a more logical colour for these pullovers.?

Last edited:

Cocker

Practically Family
Just got mine from Outdoor Knitwear, and this is a trully magnificient piece. I'm 6'4" and 190lbs, and ordered an XL. An L should have done it, but I love my sweaters to be ample, and at least the sleeves are long enough for my ape's arms. Couldn't have been happier!

Stevieboy, from what I understand, they were just plain simple uncolored sheep wool, thus explaining the off-white color.

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Just got mine from Outdoor Knitwear, and this is a trully magnificient piece. I'm 6'4" and 190lbs, and ordered an XL. An L should have done it, but I love my sweaters to be ample, and at least the sleeves are long enough for my ape's arms. Couldn't have been happier!

Stevieboy, from what I understand, they were just plain simple uncolored sheep wool, thus explaining the off-white color.

Congratulations on your purchase from Outdoor Knitwear. I will ordering another sweater from them later. Their products and service are very good indeed.

Enjoy your new sweater. Thank you for your explanation about the off-white colour. Rgds.

Cocker

Practically Family
You're welcome!

Guys, any of you has good advises about how to wash and generaly take care of these wool jumpers? May sound a bit stupid, but it's the forst one I ever had, and I don't want to mess it up.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
You're welcome!

Guys, any of you has good advises about how to wash and generaly take care of these wool jumpers? May sound a bit stupid, but it's the forst one I ever had, and I don't want to mess it up.

Hi

Wool HAS TO BE DRY CLEANED. Do not wash it in the washing machine!!! If you do, it will fit a 3 year old.

Later

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Hi

Wool HAS TO BE DRY CLEANED. Do not wash it in the washing machine!!! If you do, it will fit a 3 year old.

Later

Yes, I would agree with that.

I was very glad of my RAF/Sub-Roll neck over the past few days, owing to the cooler weather and end of British Summer Time.

B-24J

One of the Regulars
Out Door Knit Wear Sale

Out Door Knit Wear has 15% off untill November 3rd. I have several of their products and all are great. The roll neck is under the "Niffi" heading. John

Offer ending soon

15% OFF your next purchase

Offer ends 3rd November 2013

TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS

As a client of outdoorknitwear.com, we want to reward you with a special discount of 15% off any new purchases

(Subject to a minimum spend of £35.00 Inc. VAT**)

Simply enter the discount code 3DISC15 at the checkout screen for the discount to be applied.

This discount can be used as many times as you want up to the closing date of 3rd November 2013

Thank you for your valued custom

**(Excludes shipping cost)
Visit www.outdoorknitwear.com

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
Out Door Knit Wear has 15% off untill November 3rd. I have several of their products and all are great. The roll neck is under the "Niffi" heading. John

Offer ending soon

15% OFF your next purchase

Offer ends 3rd November 2013

TO ALL OUR CUSTOMERS

As a client of outdoorknitwear.com, we want to reward you with a special discount of 15% off any new purchases

(Subject to a minimum spend of £35.00 Inc. VAT**)

Simply enter the discount code 3DISC15 at the checkout screen for the discount to be applied.

This discount can be used as many times as you want up to the closing date of 3rd November 2013

Thank you for your valued custom

**(Excludes shipping cost)
Visit www.outdoorknitwear.com

Yes, infact I just ordered and paid for a sweater from Outdoor Knitwear this week using that offer and it has already arrived, a great sweater and excellent service again from a very good company.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana