Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

Gamma68

One Too Many
I've just acquired some vintage original Royal Navy issued submariner jerseys so will put up a post highlighting the diffferences I've found between high street and the 'real thing'!
I'm very interested in reading your comparison between the vintage RAF versions and today's new repros.

Gamma68

One Too Many
First time wearing the Guideboat RAF sweater. Alone, and under my 1958 U.S. Navy peacoat:

waywt_1095.JPG

waywt_1096.JPG

First time wearing the Guideboat RAF sweater. Alone, and under my 1958 U.S. Navy peacoat:

waywt_1095.JPG

waywt_1096.JPG

Sweater looks great on you and the overall outfit - sweater, cords, peacoat, shoes - is outstanding as the clothes all hit the right texture harmony and have a similar casual-but-classic feel. Also, those colors all work really well together..

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
I noticed there is a programme on BBC1 (UK TV Station) called "Winterwatch" at 9pm, 4 episodes starting tonight, Mon 29 Jan and one of the promotional trailers/photographs, shows one of the male presenters wearing what appears to be an ecru Submariner sweater with a wonderful looking flying type jacket. (I was wearing my old ecru Sub yesterday shall be in my navy Submariner later today.)

Paulgo253

Familiar Face
As mentioned before, I do have an old Sub Mariner Jersey made in the UK by Pick and sons and that is heavy.

You'll have to post some pics! I love my Pick sub which dates from '75 (and has certainly seen some active service!). It feels to be about double the weight of the modern issued RN jerseys (at least the one I have from 2013 which was made in China!) I've also got two issued submariner jerseys from the 50's but by different manufacturers and they are the same heft, lovely wool and so well made too! I'll get me finger out and sort that comparison - become a little bit obsessed with original RN issued submariner jerseys! Impressed by the look of the Guideboat sweater mind.

After all this talk recently of these fabulous sweaters, I think I shall have to wear mine later. :)

I've been wearing either the Pick or the recent issue RN sub for most of my dogs walks and general bodding about over the past week or so :) I really do love the Pick!

STEVIEBOY1

One Too Many
You'll have to post some pics! I love my Pick sub which dates from '75 (and has certainly seen some active service!). It feels to be about double the weight of the modern issued RN jerseys (at least the one I have from 2013 which was made in China!) I've also got two issued submariner jerseys from the 50's but by different manufacturers and they are the same heft, lovely wool and so well made too! I'll get me finger out and sort that comparison - become a little bit obsessed with original RN issued submariner jerseys! Impressed by the look of the Guideboat sweater mind.

I've been wearing either the Pick or the recent issue RN sub for most of my dogs walks and general bodding about over the past week or so :) I really do love the Pick!

Yes,I tend to wear my Pick for outside activities more, they did make some excellent Jerseys. (I know what you mean about them being a bit obsessive.) I will try to work out how to do some picture and put them on this site.

Grandfather's Hat

New in Town
Hello to everyone as this is my first post.

I am also curious about the comparison Pick&Sons and contemporary e.g. Kempton/Niffi.
I have the Pick sweater around – perhaps of the last series – of 1990. So at least I am concluding from the number of the contract on the name tag. The year isn't given. And so I understand obsession Stevieboy1 and Paulgo 253.
It being interested, how big differences are between Pick from years 70. and from years 90.?
I am interesting whether somebody on the forum has jersey white H.K.LTD companies.? In the net I could see sweaters of this company produced for Royal Navy in years 70. In years 80. Jersey white did also Remploy.
Since I have also jersey white from Silvermans I did the small juxtaposition. It isn't fully satisfying, because sweaters are in different sizes. But they are almost new- sweaters aren't stretched. In them I rarely walk, since winters are more and more weak. He is usually enough for me polish military roll neck (crews of ship/crews of tanks). He is black, much lighter and thinner from royal navy jersey white, made from the 90/10 wool and acrylic. With cut more resembles submariner North Sea Clothing than authentic jersey white Royal Navy. If somebody wants, at one time I will write about this sweater and about newer roll Neck of the Polish Navy who is with the zip fastener and is similar to Das Boot sweater/elbe troyer.

WOOL WHITE JERSEY, Dimensions
Pick&Sons Size 2(40-42 Niffi) Niffi/Silvermans Size 52
Chest across front 50 cm/19,69 inch 65 cm/25,59 inch
Body lenght from back neck 74 cm/ 29,13 inch 84 cm/33,07 inch
Sleeve underarm 54 cm/ 21,26 inch 63 cm/24,80 inch
Height of the polo neck over 16 cm/ 6,3 inch over 15 cm/5,91 inch
Lenght of the ribbing sleeve over 12 cm/ 4,72 inch over 13 cm/5,12 inch
Lenght of the ribbing hole over 10,5 cm / 4,13 inch over 11,5 cm/4,52 inch
Libra 930 g / 2,05 lbs 800 g / 1,76 lbs
Remarks: Pick has the light colour from ecru Niffi, thicker stitch, a little bit fatter yarn.

One can see a big difference in the weight. Niffi is lighter. At least is about one third Pick bigger than the sweater. Pick in this size would have to weigh the over 1.2 kg (2,65 lbs). However Niffi in the Pick size would weigh the c 600 g (1,32 lbs).

Unfortunately you must forgive me my English. I am from this generation whom at school was had to teach Russian.

Ticklishchap

One Too Many
Hello to everyone as this is my first post.

I am also curious about the comparison Pick&Sons and contemporary e.g. Kempton/Niffi.
I have the Pick sweater around – perhaps of the last series – of 1990. So at least I am concluding from the number of the contract on the name tag. The year isn't given. And so I understand obsession Stevieboy1 and Paulgo 253.
It being interested, how big differences are between Pick from years 70. and from years 90.?
I am interesting whether somebody on the forum has jersey white H.K.LTD companies.? In the net I could see sweaters of this company produced for Royal Navy in years 70. In years 80. Jersey white did also Remploy.
Since I have also jersey white from Silvermans I did the small juxtaposition. It isn't fully satisfying, because sweaters are in different sizes. But they are almost new- sweaters aren't stretched. In them I rarely walk, since winters are more and more weak. He is usually enough for me polish military roll neck (crews of ship/crews of tanks). He is black, much lighter and thinner from royal navy jersey white, made from the 90/10 wool and acrylic. With cut more resembles submariner North Sea Clothing than authentic jersey white Royal Navy. If somebody wants, at one time I will write about this sweater and about newer roll Neck of the Polish Navy who is with the zip fastener and is similar to Das Boot sweater/elbe troyer.

WOOL WHITE JERSEY, Dimensions
Pick&Sons Size 2(40-42 Niffi) Niffi/Silvermans Size 52
Chest across front 50 cm/19,69 inch 65 cm/25,59 inch
Body lenght from back neck 74 cm/ 29,13 inch 84 cm/33,07 inch
Sleeve underarm 54 cm/ 21,26 inch 63 cm/24,80 inch
Height of the polo neck over 16 cm/ 6,3 inch over 15 cm/5,91 inch
Lenght of the ribbing sleeve over 12 cm/ 4,72 inch over 13 cm/5,12 inch
Lenght of the ribbing hole over 10,5 cm / 4,13 inch over 11,5 cm/4,52 inch
Libra 930 g / 2,05 lbs 800 g / 1,76 lbs
Remarks: Pick has the light colour from ecru Niffi, thicker stitch, a little bit fatter yarn.

One can see a big difference in the weight. Niffi is lighter. At least is about one third Pick bigger than the sweater. Pick in this size would have to weigh the over 1.2 kg (2,65 lbs). However Niffi in the Pick size would weigh the c 600 g (1,32 lbs).

Unfortunately you must forgive me my English. I am from this generation whom at school was had to teach Russian.

Welcome and thanks for such a detailed post. My Silverman's sweater is now old but gets some wear each year and I always enjoy wearing it. I more often wear ribbed military 'commando sweaters' and in fact started a thread about these. I'd like to see a picture of the Polish military sweater you mention.
I really enjoyed my week in Warsaw last April, both for the culture and the food: I would quickly grow fat on the Pierogi if I went to live there - they are even better than Chinese dumplings! Then I'd need an XXL instead of an XL military sweater.

Grandfather's Hat

New in Town
Welcome and thanks for such a detailed post. My Silverman's sweater is now old but gets some wear each year and I always enjoy wearing it. I more often wear ribbed military 'commando sweaters' and in fact started a thread about these. I'd like to see a picture of the Polish military sweater you mention.
I really enjoyed my week in Warsaw last April, both for the culture and the food: I would quickly grow fat on the Pierogi if I went to live there - they are even better than Chinese dumplings! Then I'd need an XXL instead of an XL military sweater.

Thanks.
I don't know which sweater it is about. Most probably for this Das Boot.
He is called: „Sweter golf dla załóg jednostek pływających MW” (Sweater golf -roll neck- for crews of vessels MW - Polish Navy) of pattern 501A MON.
I am giving two cords:
- to one thing around contractors MON (Polish MoD) San Marko companies (a bit of such Polish Remploy):
http://www.sanmarko.pl/produkcjasm.htm
- to the outfitter military and outdoor, here it is possible to examine the sweater from a few sides:
http://www.uscamo.pl/product-pol-97...ojennej-Wz-501A-MON-Czarny-Oryginal-Nowy.html
In the net it is easy to find more photographs writing down sweater 501A MON. New in the shop of supplying the serviceman cost c 169 złotych – c 35 - 36 £.
I could see only a black colour.
I have the version without the zip fastener and without patches on elbows – 501 MON. Apart from black I could still see navy blue.
I did a few photographs. Poorly it left, so I will wait for the sun.
501 is also a product of the San Marko company from Poznań and is as the last sweater in the first link. In second …
There is also an English-speaking side of the shop. I am giving the link to 501, but it there is also more about 501A: http://armyworld.pl/product-eng-6215-Military-Woolen-Sweater-Polish-501-MON-Original-Black-New.html

Hmmm …. Jersey Man’s Heavy. I also like. A few mums older of MoD, but non issued. This topic is greater, at least not this way popular, like of RAF roll neck, whether submariner.

Unpleasantly for me the table in the entry spilt. Next time I will sit more comfortably.

Pierogi indeed isn't bad. I still like fried. I unfortunately in London, whom very much I like, was centuries ago. Around 12 or more years. Transits through Heathrow – with small looking by the small window of the aeroplane at the panorama - aren't counting.
There was such saying a long time ago, a long time ago in Poland: London smog. I think that at present he is Warsaw bigger. For the weekend I am going to Gdynia to breathe a little with sea air. I will try in the next week to write something about „ wolly pully ”.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk