Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

White RAF Roll Neck Sweaters

Miss Sis

One Too Many
Smithy said:
Thanks Miss Sis, I didn't know that!

There are some neat pics taken in 2005 in St James's Park's Living Museum of all my chums doing ATS with coats, etc over their pyjamas, pretending they've just had a nighttime raid.

Ben was also there doing RAF and had his - wait for it - white roll neck jumper with him. Not for wearing in the day but for putting over stuff to get home in the evening.

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Edward said:
Hi Estelle, how is your beau finding the washing / care of one of those in use? I've been tempted by one for some time, but the price (I'm sure £20 more than the one I bought for my dad for Christmas about three or four years ago.... his was navy, back when they still offered that option) is a little scary to me!

Well as I said I have to wash it in the bath... think of I Love Lucy with the grapes.... The royal crown pomade creates merry hell with the top of the roll so I have to soak it.... I usually spin dry it in a pillowcase as it is too havy to wring it out and then I dry it flat.... It has washed up very well with no shrinkage or pilling, very pleased with it, even for the money.... and it now nearly a year old.

I was just pleased to get it in his size, being 6'5" tall getting vintage for someone that size is a bit of a trial (he gets very sulky when trousers and jackets don't fit), he has a 32" waist, a 36" inside leg and the longest arms ever.... it fits him a treat.

Regarding being different to the RAF, it probably is slightly as it was for submarine use and therefore very thick and heavy... They do socks to match, can't bring myself to hand wash these and they have gone in the machine on a wool wash an I have shrunk them.... :(

Twinkle

Familiar Face
Alan Eardley said:
Dealt with them? Dealt with them? I remember going there in the 1960s!

Alan

We still go on a regular basis, they opened it up again about 5 years ago and have car and bike nights, check out the website.... From what I gather they have put most of it back to how it was.

Chillie cheese special is devine!!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Twinkle said:
We still go on a regular basis, they opened it up again about 5 years ago and have car and bike nights, check out the website.... From what I gather they have put most of it back to how it was.

Twinkle,

I am most pleased to hear that you enjoy the re-opened venue. Today it is a bit different from the way it used to be. I don't recall chilli cheese being on the menu in 1964! The deadly railway arches are still there, of course, but the North Circular is nothing like it was.

By the way, is your user name a coincidence? In 1964 a singer calling herself Twinkle wrote and recorded a song while still at school about a boy dying in a motorcycle accident that was allegedly inspired by a real incident at the Ace Cafe. It was banned by the BBC on grounds of 'bad taste' if I recall correctly and (again relying on my ageing memory) was covered by The Smiths. But, if my hypothesis is correct, you already knew that...

Alan

Alan

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Twinkle said:
Regarding being different to the RAF, it probably is slightly as it was for submarine use and therefore very thick and heavy... They do socks to match, can't bring myself to hand wash these and they have gone in the machine on a wool wash an I have shrunk them.... :(

I was comparing it to the Royal Navy Jerseys, which "we" were talking about as being a useful substitute for/an obtainable and affordable alternative to the actual RAF Frock/Jersey. Neither had a roll neck. And Seaboot socks/hose are just about whatever they are- available from different sources. The term is generically used for thick, tall, natural coloured woollen socks nowadays and fairly so, I guess. I don't know about an original, HM Forces spec. for Seaboot socks but there probably was.
I don't believe a roll-neck jersey was either RN, Submarine, or RAF issue garment.

B
T

Twinkle

Familiar Face
BellyTank said:
I was comparing it to the Royal Navy Jerseys, which "we" were talking about as being a useful substitute for/an obtainable and affordable alternative to the actual RAF Frock/Jersey. Neither had a roll neck. And Seaboot socks/hose are just about whatever they are- available from different sources. The term is generically used for thick, tall, natural coloured woollen socks nowadays and fairly so, I guess. I don't know about an original, HM Forces spec. for Seaboot socks but there probably was.
I don't believe a roll-neck jersey was either RN, Submarine, or RAF issue garment.

B
T

Hey :) I can only go by what I was told, rightly or wrongly.... Most probably they must have got their facts wrong....

It is however a nice vintage style jumper which is realitively inexpensive, very hardwearing and easily obtainable, especially for people who aren't of standard vintage size (Like my boyfriend), and I (again) rightly or wrongly thought some people on here might be interested.

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Just a bump to point out that Aero Leathers is collaborating with The Ace Cafe by producing a range of 50s-inspired leather 'rocker' jackets. They are more of the Mascot type than the Lewis Leathers type (both types being popular at the time). See the Aero website.

Alan

Twinkle said:

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Twinkle said:
Hey :) I can only go by what I was told, rightly or wrongly.... Most probably they must have got their facts wrong....

It is however a nice vintage style jumper which is realitively inexpensive, very hardwearing and easily obtainable, especially for people who aren't of standard vintage size (Like my boyfriend), and I (again) rightly or wrongly thought some people on here might be interested.

My apologies Twinkle, if I offended- that was not my intention at all.
And of course everyone is interested.
Just trying to keep the facts alive... for those who are interested in them.

You're right, it is a beautiful sweater, the Ace one.

Thank you for your input, it is appreciated here- and for pointing out my apparent *tone*.

B
T

Edward

Bartender
Twinkle said:
Well as I said I have to wash it in the bath... think of I Love Lucy with the grapes.... The royal crown pomade creates merry hell with the top of the roll so I have to soak it.... I usually spin dry it in a pillowcase as it is too havy to wring it out and then I dry it flat.... It has washed up very well with no shrinkage or pilling, very pleased with it, even for the money.... and it now nearly a year old.

Ah well, now.... pomade ain't exactly going to be an issue for me. ;) I always handwash woolen sweaters - hell, i handwash anything screen printed, even... stuff lasts so much better that way.

Alan Eardley said:
Just a bump to point out that Aero Leathers is collaborating with The Ace Cafe by producing a range of 50s-inspired leather 'rocker' jackets. They are more of the Mascot type than the Lewis Leathers type (both types being popular at the time). See the Aero website.

Alan

Noticed that recently, Alan. Thought it was an interesting change - when I had previously last looked at the site, they were still a Lewis dealership. I like the Lewis stuff a lot, but it certainly makes sense for the ace to have their own brand attached to a range that is exclusive to them....

:eek:fftopic: I'm rather taken with their black denim "rocker jacket" - quite fancy one of those for myself come the warmer weather (and post Christmas healthier bank balance! ;) ).

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
RAF Frock, White

Here is the real thing...

Note the length - mid thigh, or just to the top of the matching leg warmers (really). Little scope for rolling the neck...
Sweater.jpg

...and the label...no mention of 'sweater'.

Sweater_tag.jpg

Alan

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
YAHOOO!!! just got my WPG RAF sweater and im happy with it...sleeves are a tad short but i can definitely live with it...all i need now is an Irvin...hmmm...

oh and Smithy, got "The Blue Arena" today too so ill start reading it as well :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
SamMarlowPI said:
sure will Smithy, thanks.
quick question: did the RAF or other Allied Air Forces besides the USAAF use the Curtiss P-40? the dust cover on my "Blue Arena" shows a P-40 with the British "target" symbol near the tail...but i thought only the USAAF and Flying Tigers used the P-40. thanks :)

Sam, I think I know which edition you have.

The illustration shows a P-40 (Kittyhawk in British and Commonwealth parlance) of 16 Squadron, RNZAF.

The SAAF also used the P-40 during WWII.

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
thanks all. for some reason i got the impression the RAF mainly stuck with the Spitfire and Hawker...then again my knowledge on the RAF/RCAF/RNZAF etc. is very limited...hence the reason im reading up on them. :)

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Many thanks once again to Alan and BT for posting the pictures of their RN jerseys. My (future) mother-in-law who is currently making my jersey has said the photos are hugely helpful.

So thank you not just on behalf of myself but the mother-in-law as well!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Don't forget the Tomahawk! All British Commonwealth air forces gave the name Tomahawk to models equivalent to the P-40B and P-40C ('Warhawk' in USAAF parlance), and Kittyhawk to models equivalent to the P-40D and all later variants. I think the P-40 variants were used by over 20 nations' air forces in WW2.

Alan

Smithy said:
Sam, I think I know which edition you have.

The illustration shows a P-40 (Kittyhawk in British and Commonwealth parlance) of 16 Squadron, RNZAF.

The SAAF also used the P-40 during WWII.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points