Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who do you feel are the Top 10 Golden Era actors and actresses?

HanauMan

Practically Family
Well, most of the classic films we watch tend to be from Hollywood. Three of the actors on my list weren't Hollywood.

But when I lived in Germany I did watch old German and Austrian films. Curd Juergens, Heinz Ruehmann, Ernst Deutsch, Romy Schneider and others whose names I don't know. I also like Jean - Paul Belmondo, Alain Delon and other European actors, again whose names I don't recall off hand.

I could spend the rest of the day going thru google to identify actors I like whose names I don't know, like the little French comic actor who played the policeman, the Czech actor who played PanTau or the blue French Phantom from the 1960s.

I watched Downfall the other day, all German and Austrian actors. I liked the actor who played Goebbels, man he was having a great time hamming it up. (Do I get a bonus point for watching it in German, without subtitles?)

Last edited:

Zachary

One of the Regulars
I could spend the rest of the day going thru google to identify actors I like whose names I don't know, like the little French comic actor who played the policeman,
Peter Sellers
the Czech actor who played PanTau
Otto Simanek
or the blue French Phantom from the 1960s.
Jean Marais

My sister, a movie enthusiast, used to "keep books" on movies on TV. She had some thick files with papers about the films and glued the pre-view images from the movie programme magazine into them. Quasi a "Rotten Tomatoes on private base."

Zachary

One of the Regulars
Ah! Thanks for the correction. I thought "little policeman" meant Detective Clouseau. Of course I know Louis de Funès. Saw a movie with him not so long ago. He was a genius. I used to knew a lady from France who went to the same church as Mr. de Funès, and the priest had to ask him kindly to sit down in the last row. Otherwise, the other people were close to bursting into laughter during the service, since they imagined Louis de Funès in his feather costume from L'Avare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Takatāpui