Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Here Has Switched To the 'No-Poo' Method??

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks, sheeplady. I've read about this trick and I've been leery of it because I'm afraid the oil will wick up my hair. I haven't been able to get my hands on jojoba yet and have no experience in how heavy or light of an oil it is. Do you think grapeseed might work in the meantime?

I think it would work, I've never tried it, but oil is oil. I can't see it messing up your hair. Two recommendations: 1. only one or two drops- and I am talking tiny drops- like a quarter of an inch in diameter at most. I keep my oil in a tiny travel size "squirt" container and use one to two drops on each "side" (split down the middle) of my hair and I have long hair, about every other week when it is really dry, once a month otherwise. So I might try a single drop if you have shorter hair. If you leave too much oil in the shower it can go rancid, and most oils are far too expensive to let go to waste like that, so transfer your oil to a small container.

2. I wet my hair and hands, and put the oil in my palms, and rub my palms around the end of the hair that needs it- I stay a couple inches away from places that don't. So use the oil, and then wash it with the baking soda. You basically are "conditioning" before you "shampoo", and that will strip out any extra oil. You can't do it afterwards, but it doesn't work so well in my opinion. I like to put the oil on and let it soak while I shave my legs. I don't know if this is necessary, or not, but I do think it is a little deeper conditioning.

If worse comes to worse, you can just give your hair an extra wash if it ends up greasy. I personally am not a fan of coconut oil, because I have yet to use it in a way that doesn't result in greasy hair- I think I take too much.

lolly_loisides

One Too Many
Thanks, sheeplady. I've read about this trick and I've been leery of it because I'm afraid the oil will wick up my hair. I haven't been able to get my hands on jojoba yet and have no experience in how heavy or light of an oil it is. Do you think grapeseed might work in the meantime?

I use jojoba oil & it works well for me. Jojoba oil isn't actually an oil, it's a liquid wax. I find it doesn't make my hair heavy or greasy in the way that other oils do.

MarieAnne

Practically Family
Just reviving an old thread with some experiences I've had the last few years. I CO washed twice a week with Suave Naturals Coconut for the better part of a year. Never used shampoo, and the conditioner rinsed clean. My hair was harder to curl, but boy was it smooth, silky, and happy. All of a sudden, every store in a 100-km radius stopped stocking Suave Naturals Coconut conditioner. For a few weeks, I experimented with different conditioners but found none that rinsed clean (my hair felt goopy and heavy). I then thought I would try no poo. I shampooed with Neutrogena Anti-Residue (amazing cleanser and great for guys with greasy, slicked-back hair that needs an oil change) and after that I only washed with water (no poo for several months). My naturally curly hair still looked like nice, clean curly hair. However, ANY brushing or attempts at styling made me look like a homeless person. My hair looked OK, but could not be touched or disturbed. I soon got sick of wearing messy buns and tried the baking soda with ACV rinse. AMAZING! My hair was light, glossy, and full of life. This is it! I washed my hair like this about once a week. By the third week, my hair was dry, broken, dull, and frizzy. I was at Sally's Beauty a few months ago and remembered reading about hair cholesterol. I picked up a jar of hair cholesterol, and on a whim, I picked up a large bottle of Mane n' Tail conditioner. The hair cholesterol is too greasy and heavy for regular or CO wash use. And the Mane n' Tail conditioner rinses clean (yay!) but has a high protein content, which can lead to brittle hair with regular/frequent use. By combining the Neutrogena Anti-residue shampoo, the hair cholesterol, and the Mane n' Tail conditioner, I think I finally found a hair washing routine that works for me! I deep clean with the Neutrogena shampoo and deep condition with the cholesterol (leave it in and then rinse out as much as I can). For the next two to three weeks, I wash my hair with water only or the Mane n' Tail conditioner (if my hair needs to be spruced-up a bit). My hair is long, curly, not thick or thin, but definitely wild. This routine really brings out the best in my hair. I highly recommend the Mane n' Tail conditioner as a CO wash, but it should be paired with a cholesterol to balance the protein content.

Helena Grace

New in Town
I use no-poo, and generally stay away from all chemicals in my hair. This isn't so much for their own sake - just that my hair is finally healthy and soft, and when I put hairspray on I literally had to wash my hair to get it out again. So chemicals almost...overreact or something? *shrugs*

ClaireD

New in Town
Suddenly came across this thread and can't resist sharing my two cents with you.
I know something about it because I'm active no-pooer for almost three years. It started suddenly when I realized my skin and hair were in a bad shape, saving money was a great thought too. The transition was hard, you can't just stop using shampoo, so I just tried to use it less, maybe 2 times a month until managed to keep it "no poo" at all, but didn't give up a conditioner use. I've tried many conditioners since, liked OGX and Biolage ones. Recently was reading some reviews here and decided to try stuff described there, like Paul Mitchell and Redken. Can't recommend EO Essentials though, it may dry your scalp too much. I also use some natural oils and hair masks, especially fond of avocado, coconut oil, and honey-based ones.

JJackie

New in Town
I use no-poo, and generally stay away from all chemicals in my hair. This isn't so much for their own sake - just that my hair is finally healthy and soft, and when I put hairspray on I literally had to wash my hair to get it out again. So chemicals almost...overreact or something? *shrugs*

That's just how your skin and hair react to chemicals and dirt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk