Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who Makes a Nice Pea Coat?

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
Guttersnipe said:
The US Navy
More specifically, Sterlingwear of Boston is the official supplier of peacoats to the U.S. Navy. They're not the same exact fabric as vintage, but they're reasonably priced and more authentic (in terms of purpose, at least) than the various fashion brands' versions. It's the same exact model as the government uses now, except that it's marketed to civilians.

Of course, mine is 60 years old, and I found it at a secondhand shop in Japan....

boushi_mania

One of the Regulars
OneEyeMan said:
Thanks for the link Boushi.
Wish they gave close up pix of the differences between the Classic and Authentic.
From the looks of it, the "Classic" model has an extra row of buttons, welt pockets instead of slash, and a one-piece back. Personally, I think the "Navigator" model is both classier and more of a classic look, but your mileage may vary.

celtic

A-List Customer
I love my Schott 740. I got mine on closeout a few years ago at Burlington for about $125 if I remember correctly.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/peacoat/classic-32-oz-melton-wool.htm

It's definitely heavier than some of the others on the market.

edit:

Looks like they're claiming 32oz wool mix and Sterlingwear's claiming 28 oz wool mix.
I've never owned a Sterlingwear, so I don't know real world if it's considerably more heavy to the touch, but compared to the other peacoats I've owned this Schott is the heaviest.

Italian-wiseguy

One of the Regulars
US Navy style peacoats are great:
I got a good knock-off, warm and all, so I failed to buy an original one when I was in Boston (I regret);

anyway, the design seems to be ubiquitous, even to a point to be a little (sorry) boring: a lot of brands imitates the USNavy version, many pretending to offer the real thing (thanks Boushi_mania and Guttersnipe for the info)

why don't try a civilian version?
Or some other navies' one, just for a change?

If I have to buy another peacoat (I'm satisfied with mine) I'd take the italian navy one, which has nice peaked lapels instead of the big collars of the american one (I know that's a great feature against cold wind, but still looks huge on me!)

Ciao!!

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
These guys nearly always have the best prices:

http://www.vtarmynavy.com/pea_coats.htm

In the last couple of years, I bought a Fidelity there for my daughter and a Sterlingwear for myself (on closeout for only $75!) They were very helpful with sizing questions, which isn't a trivial issue with pea coats if you can't try them on in person.

As for the coats themselves, both are excellent. The 32oz Sterlingwear is indeed heavier than the 24oz Fidelity, but they are both well-made coats. And Schott's pea coats are very good too. These three American makers are all definitely a step above the cheaper imported knockoffs from the likes of Rothco (sold at a gazillion Army-Navy stores and Web dealers under the Ultra Force name, and others) and Alpha - but not really so different from each other.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
boushi_mania said:
From the looks of it, the "Classic" model has an extra row of buttons, welt pockets instead of slash, and a one-piece back. Personally, I think the "Navigator" model is both classier and more of a classic look, but your mileage may vary.

OK, I'm an idiot.
What's the difference between welt and slash pockets?
Lenny

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
SWAP MEETS!!!

I see so many pea coats at swap meets here! Also, eBay!

I have an original WWII US NAVY issue, it's the best! Warm, has corduroy pocket lining and is just so tough you can really get a lot of use out of it!

An original will only set you back about $40. to $60. on an average. Depending on condition and who's selling it.

I've seen many modern pea coats and they leave me unimpressed. If you want something you can wear for a long time and keep, it's an original WWII issue you'll want!

Good luck!

Wash In Lux

One of the Regulars
If you're near any navy towns, they're plentiful in the thrift stores. San Diego's a big navy town, they're everywhere. There was 3 or 4 at the AmVets I was at a couple days ago. If you want a new, navy issue, I can get you one. PM me.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
celtic said:
I love my Schott 740. I got mine on closeout a few years ago at Burlington for about $125 if I remember correctly.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/men/peacoat/classic-32-oz-melton-wool.htm

It's definitely heavier than some of the others on the market.

edit:

Looks like they're claiming 32oz wool mix and Sterlingwear's claiming 28 oz wool mix.
I've never owned a Sterlingwear, so I don't know real world if it's considerably more heavy to the touch, but compared to the other peacoats I've owned this Schott is the heaviest.

Hey Celtic,
I'm thinking of buying a Schott mainly due to your post.
Seems to be the heaviest wool available, and with the quilted lining, I'm sure it's very warm.
I'm wondering about the fit, thougn.
Are they at all "form fitting" or do they just hang straight down with no taper at the waist?
Thanks,
Lenny

celtic

A-List Customer
OneEyeMan said:
Hey Celtic,
I'm thinking of buying a Schott mainly due to your post.
Seems to be the heaviest wool available, and with the quilted lining, I'm sure it's very warm.
I'm wondering about the fit, thougn.
Are they at all "form fitting" or do they just hang straight down with no taper at the waist?
Thanks,
Lenny

I don't think there's much taper. I will have to pull it out and take a closer look. Unfortunately it's a size too large (I now wear a 40R and I bought it when I was a 42R) so I won't be able to get an entirely accurate answer for you. I can get you measurements if you'd like.

I noticed on their website that they are now carrying a slim fit, but it's only 24 oz.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/season/fall/mens-slim-fitting-wool-peacoat.htm

Do you have a Burlington Coat Factory near you? I was there recently and decided to look for them in case I wanted to replace mine with a smaller coat and they had some in stock for around $150, if I remember correctly.
They also carry quite a few other brands, so you could compare.

Side note - these Schott 740s are made in USA, but Schott also has a "Dur-O-Jac" label that is made in Canada (the last I knew). They are sold in letter sizes instead of number sizes, but I believe they are also 320z. The local Army-Navy had the Dur-o-Jac label and my friend got one and loves it.

I would suggest using this retailer locater:
http://www.schottnyc.com/stores.cfm and checking them out for yourself prior to buying. I would hate to steer you into something you weren't satisfied with! That retailer locater isn't completely accurrate, because I also know of a couple other local places (like my local Burlington Coat Factory) that carry Schott, but it's a good start for you.

Edit:

Also there is a discussion forum on their website, and Gail (a 25+ year employee) as well as Jason Schott regularly post and answer ANY questions people have. You can also email Gail with any fitting or quality questions and she will reply very quickly. They have EXCELLENT customer service on the phone as well. https://www.schottnyc.com//forum/index.cfm?

Edit 2 :)

I just took a closer look at the Sterlingwear website and if you scroll down and click the "Classic" version, it is also 32 oz, compared to the other two they have listed. I was looking at the "authentic" which is a lighter wool. So while I cannot comment on the quality, as I've never owned one, I just wanted to correct my earlier thought that Schott was the heaviest.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Forgotten Man said:
SWAP MEETS!!!

I see so many pea coats at swap meets here! Also, eBay!

I have an original WWII US NAVY issue, it's the best! Warm, has corduroy pocket lining and is just so tough you can really get a lot of use out of it!

An original will only set you back about $40. to $60. on an average. Depending on condition and who's selling it.

I've seen many modern pea coats and they leave me unimpressed. If you want something you can wear for a long time and keep, it's an original WWII issue you'll want!

Good luck!

The Forgotten Man is so right. I think I payed $30 bucks for my 1960's Navy surplus pea coat at an Army/Navy store. The older 8 button ones will set you back a bit more, but not by much. Swap meets, eBay, or (legit) surplus stores are the way to go!

Lexybeast

A-List Customer
Guttersnipe said:
The US Navy

+1. I asked this same question last year, and wound up going vintage. Excellent coat.

Edit: picture for fun.

3627690204_92ddb2cc9d.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112