Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Who wears/wore porkpies?

Edward

Bartender
I have a couple of poly-straw pps which I bought from, as memory serves, My Baby Jo in the US. I like them for Summer wear, put me in mind of early Fifties Sinatra. I do really like a pp type in straw. I also have an Akubra Rap, a fur felt pp. The Akubra I bought originally as a hat which would look good with a Teddy Boy vibe (a bit of historical revisionism - Teds have never been inclined towards hats, for the obvious reasons which do not affect me as a headshaver; I needed something to top the look off, both for my own aesthetic sensibilities and the fact that I now feel naked if I leave the house without a hat). In 2009, I think, this hat was mauled beyond belief at a Pogues gig, but ten minutes over the kettle when I got home took it right back to normal. Great hat. I did put a pinch in the front of this one when I reshaped it, but I kept the telescopic crown. I have long had my eye on a nice, mid-grey pp with a 2" brim or so.... We'll see when funds allow. Great casual hat with something like a Harrington jacket.

S. Stallone wore a leather porkpie as Rocky Balboa. Dean Martin;
Currently, Bruno Mars and John mayer(singers) wears porkpies. Johnny Depp. Bryan Cranston as Walter white in Breaking Bad

I couldn't find any photo of Rocky B. in a pork pie, only center dents. Ditto for Mr. Depp, Mr. Mars, Mr. Mayer. Dean Martin was seen in one only occasionally, (in the company of his pal Mr. Sinatra) and was far more often seen in a front-pinched fedora.

But you are right, cchgn... there are a respectable number of celebs that have worn, or do wear them!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Photo on 2015-02-07 at 15.44.jpg

Just received this one through the post from Laird Hatters (London) - love it.
Aside from Lester Young, my Pork-pie wearers woud be Marcus Miller (jazz bass guitarist) and Danny Thompson (jazz/folk double bassist)...

NewJack

Practically Family
All great jazz giants gents! Because of the greats and not-so-famous, I've been inspired to have two converted and one refurbished...This one's a 1950s Champ refurbished by Gomez Hat Company of California.

And another...A Western transformation by my friend Tom from Gomez Hat Company:

Last edited:

stratcat

One of the Regulars
All great jazz giants gents! Because of the greats and not-so-famous, I've been inspired to have two converted and one refurbished...This one's a 1950s Champ refurbished by Gomez Hat Company of California.

That's a beaut'
I don't think I could pull off a pork pie.

Captain O

One of the Regulars
From the 1930's to the 1970's the Porkpie was consistently connected to "be-bop" Jazz Musicians. Heck, even Raymond Burr as Erle Stanley Gardiner's character "Perry Mason" wore a Porkpie hat as a bit of a rebellious "backlash" against the stodgy reputation that attorneys had garnered since the Reconstruction (the post-Civil War period).

For the longest time, the Porkpie was associated with Marijuana, Cocaine, and Heroin as well as the smoky underworld of the Jazz nightclubs.

Does that clarify things?

I agree with Johnny. These days most people would probably see a black Pork Pie and think of Walter White (a.k.a. Heisenberg), Bryan Cranston's crystal meth manufacturing character in the television series Breaking Bad.

Heisenberg_zpsdq7ltkg8.jpg

And their parents probably think of Gene Hackman as Jimmy "Popeye" Doyle in The French Connection.

Popeye_Doyle_zpsqqasdty7.jpg

But I don't think too many people under the age of, say, 65-70 would see a black Pork Pie hat and think of jazz musicians, marijuana, cocaine, and/or heroin.

campbell166

New in Town
was Popeye Doyles hat a diamond crown ? I can never quite decide from the photos I have seen ( & I also think I need new glasses) lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk