Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why all the hatred towards black leather jackets?

westinghouse

One of the Regulars
So I do lots of reading about leather jackets on the internet and many people, especially women, are vehemently against men wearing black leather jackets of any kind. Many members here shun black leather for brown. Is this because of any particular stereotype or would a tastefully done jacket change the world's mindset?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I embraced the brown basically to put my tiny thumbprint in the eyeball of mass tastes and easy symbolism. It was un-black leather jackets that lost their identity first, after the Air Force and motorcyclists abandoned them, and fashion overdid the icky burgundys and baby[redacted] browns during the 1970s. Even horsey people did away with the classic brown high boots as "no longer traditional"(!).

This left black as the only leather with identity and cool. Unfortunately, it came into line with stereotypes - bad@ss, hard-boy images such as outlaw bikers and the fetish community. Not the kind of style I wanted a part of when I got my first (choccy brown) A-2 in the early '90s.

I do have a bit of black in my jacket rack, but nothing too bad@ss - nothing shiny, tailored, belted or metaled. One is a cheapo pebble goatskin A-2, the other a lambskin carcoat in a dullish, veg tanned black that has a greenish-brown cast.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Because:

98293-bandekrigen-sprnger-hells-ang.jpg

apba1166

A-List Customer
I had only black ones for years. Now others too, but I still like black, if it's lamb and/or a style jacket. Goes w/everything. Minimal. Cleaner lines. Expecially with no brass/nickel/studs/buckles/snaps.d-rings, etc.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Nil Desperandum!

For a long time, I considered black leather to be for the sleek and fashionable. Only to be worn by rugged macho men. Well, I've overcome that prejudice. My black Aero should be here soon. I don't care if people laugh, point, guffaw or ridicule. If I want that horsehide to cup the prodigious outline of my gigantic gut, so be it.

Also, I wanted a second Veste de Rallye in FQHH. Brown was simply too close to cordovan. Black was the only option.

Lear (the ugly and fat one)

Pushrod

One of the Regulars
So I do lots of reading about leather jackets on the internet and many people, especially women, are vehemently against men wearing black leather jackets of any kind

Lol, reminds me of that country-western song by Toby Keith Some girls don't like boys like me,, but some girls do.

jon z

One of the Regulars
What hatred?

I can't say I've noticed any. Black for me is just as wearable as brown. Some syles (Half Belt, G1 for example) suit brown whereas others (Motorcycle for example) suit black IMO. Right now my collection has more black than brown.

jimmer_5

Practically Family
I will admit that I have a strong dislike towards Black Leather Jackets, but it is only based on that fact that so many manufacturers make ONLY black jackets. I am very much a "brown/earthtone" person, and I wear very little black. That being said, I own two black leather jackets, but that may change in the near future.

I have been searching for a decent Brown leather jacket for years, and finally had to spend quite a bit of money to get one through Aero (it shold be done soon!) Now that I have discovered the Fedora Lounge, I have a huge wellspring of information on quality jacket manufacturers, and significantly less money in my pocket. I'd really like to geta nicely fitting Vanson as well, but if I do it now, I won't live to wear it - the wife has drawn the line for now since I have two orders with Aero as we speak.....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
jimmer_5 said:
I will admit that I have a strong dislike towards Black Leather Jackets, but its is only based on that fact that so many manufacturers make ONLY black jackets.
That's a lot of it with me, too.

If my midlife crisis really comes on, and I start affecting 3" sideburns and a vintage Bimmer, I will buy and wear something like this.
Image1.jpg

pipvh

Practically Family
Hatred? I love 'em. But only really beaten-up ones. I just don't like brand-new shiny black leather, I suppose.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
jon z said:
I can't say I've noticed any. Black for me is just as wearable as brown. Some syles (Half Belt, G1 for example) suit brown whereas others (Motorcycle for example) suit black IMO. Right now my collection has more black than brown.

I totally agree with this.

CBI

One Too Many
for me, black leather ALWAYS looks cheap, can't explain it, I guess brown (even died) looks like a more convincing hide color???

JoeNiblick

One of the Regulars
I'll agree that brown in a much more common choice here, but I don't know that there's an outright hatred for black.

James Bond wears a black Aero:

DanielCraig_Highwayman.jpg

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Red hair and black leather

ARTIST: Richard Thompson
TITLE: 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

Said Red Molly to James that's a fine motorbike
A girl could feel special on any such like
Said James to Red Molly, well my hat's off to you
It's a Vincent Black Lightning, 1952
And I've seen you at the corners and cafes it seems