Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why did we make ourselves into walking advertisements?

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Watch out Babe! :(
xp10jn.jpg

It's illuminating to watch old baseball telecasts and see what happens when a player hits a home run. He runs the bases at a brisk trot with his head down, accepts a handshake or two from his teammates and disappears into the dugout. He doesn't stand to admire the flight of the ball, he doesn't flip the bat, he doesn't make eye contact with any member of the opposing team. There are occasional exceptions -- Carlton Fisk in Game 6 of the '75 Series, Ted Williams in the 1941 All Star Game -- but the fact that these exceptions are so well known proves the rule. It was considered strictly bush to show yourself up as bigger than your own team or the other team -- and if you did do it, you were likely to get the ball in your ear the next time you came up to bad.

I also hate the chest thumping and pointing to the sky to give a shoutout to the Big Guy. 1) God doesn't need you pimping for him, 2) He probably has more important things to attend, and 3) it's just laughable to think He's a Cubs fan.

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
Truth be told, everyone that’s in the public view
no matter what arena or forum, likes to brag.

Some are better at doing it in a way that others
will admire them for the way they go about it.

I wasn’t around when or if, Ruth made that “called shot”.
If he was treated as has been mentioned in this forum,
he probably didn’t have the knack of doing it in such a
manner that the fans would’ve cheered him for it.

:D

Last edited:

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Truth be told, everyone that’s in the public view
no matter what arena or forum, likes to brag.

Some are better at doing it in a way that others
will admire them for it.

I wasn’t around when & if Ruth made that “called shot”.
If he was treated as has been mentioned,
all I can say is he probably didn’t have the knack of
doing it so that the fans would’ve cheered him for it. :D
Nobody, but nobody beat Ali in trash talking! The best part, even if you hated the man you were still laughing at the end of his interview.

VintageEveryday

A-List Customer
I remember a quite from one of Ransom Riggs' "Miss Peregrine" books, where one of the main characters notes that modern people were basically "walking logos" as far as fashion went. That opened my eyes; after that, i started noticing tine nike and adidas logos where I never noticed them before. I'll keep my logos on the inside of my clothes, thank you very much!

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
I also hate the chest thumping and pointing to the sky to give a shoutout to the Big Guy. 1) God doesn't need you pimping for him, 2) He probably has more important things to attend, and 3) it's just laughable to think He's a Cubs fan.
These days, it feels like you're made a pariah if you don't wear your Christianity on your sleeve, shouting God bless you, me, and the American way. Junior sits down for Pledge of Allegiance? How dare you, you Commy! Sometimes I doubt if 1950s McCarthyism has ever truly been left behind.

These days, it feels like you're made a pariah if you don't wear your Christianity on your sleeve, shouting God bless you, me, and the American way. Junior sits down for Pledge of Allegiance? How dare you, you Commy! Sometimes I doubt if 1950s McCarthyism has ever truly been left behind.

Spend a little time in secular NYC and you'll feel the opposite where - overall, there are many exceptions - the religious keep quiet so as not to offend the secular. I am agnostic, but have sincere respect for both points of views. A good friend of ours is a practicing Catholic - goes to Mass regularly - and we only learned that several years after we knew her as she didn't know if it would "put us off."

She says she keeps very quiet about it as it "freaks" many New Yorkers out that she is an active church goer. While that's anecdotal, it is consistent with other experiences I've seen which is that people at work who actively practice religion keep quiet about it as the majority in this city doesn't.

I guess its a regional thing now.

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Spend a little time in secular NYC and you'll feel the opposite where - overall, there are many exceptions - the religious keep quiet so as not to offend the secular. I am agnostic, but have sincere respect for both points of views. A good friend of ours is a practicing Catholic - goes to Mass regularly - and we only learned that several years after we knew her as she didn't know if it would "put us off."

She says she keeps very quiet about it as it "freaks" many New Yorkers out that she is an active church goer. While that's anecdotal, it is consistent with other experiences I've seen which is that people at work who actively practice religion keep quiet about it as the majority in this city doesn't.

I guess its a regional thing now.
I would suppose it is. I like on the edge of rural Illinois, right on the edge of God and Guns Country where to question the Good Ole Boys status quo is like questioning the very fabric of the Republic itself.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Come to Maine. We're the most secular state in the union -- religion is very much not made a public issue, and nobody could care less what sect you belong to.

This is quite a shift from when I was a kid, when whether you were a Methodist or a Congregationalist determined a great deal about the course of your earthly life, never mind what comes after. These were overwhelmingly class-based distinctions, of the sort which the Founder of the Faith would have rebuked in the strongest possible terms, but since when did that matter?

This isn't to say we're all a bunch of atheists here. I'm not, nor are many of my friends, who are Jewish, Episcopalian, Christian Scientist, or whatever. We talk about religion if that's the subject on the table, but we don't proselytize each other. That's considered very bad form here.

And as far as the flag salute is concerned, the Supreme Court settled that issue in 1943, and the vast majority in my state are perfectly satisfied with that ruling.

PeterGunnLives

One of the Regulars
I don't mind some brand names, logos, and the like being visible on casual clothing, but generally only if it's something vintage (or something that looks vintage). If I'm going to advertise, I'm going to advertise the bygone days. For example, I just ordered a long-sleeve T-shirt with a logo and cartoon mascot drawing for an old baseball team that ceased to exist in the early fifties, because it's deliberately retro (I actually don't really enjoy sports, unless it's in an old newsreel or movie - one of the many things that I only enjoy when it's older, much like musicals and westerns).

Dressy, upscale clothing and accessories are something else, though. I don't like how Coach puts its logo on everything. And I see some guys with suit jackets or overcoats who leave on the little white sleeve tag with the brand name, apparently not knowing that you're supposed to remove it. :rolleyes:

Are you quite sure?

Well, as a wise man once said, "it ain't over til it's over." We shall see how it turns out.

On a side note, it's a common meme this week to point out how times have changed since the Cubs' last World Series championship, including the fact that two of the largest countries in the world at the time were the Ottoman Empire and the Great Qing (now the Peoples Republic of China).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto