Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Why did we make ourselves into walking advertisements?

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well, as a wise man once said, "it ain't over til it's over." We shall see how it turns out.

On a side note, it's a common meme this week to point out how times have changed since the Cubs' last World Series championship, including the fact that two of the largest countries in the world at the time were the Ottoman Empire and the Great Qing (now the Peoples Republic of China).

Well. This song, this record of that song, and the machine upon which the record is being played were all new the last time the Cubs won the Series.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I have several camouflage items. Most notably, my realtree brand sneakers. They are designed for hiking and other outdoor activities, rather than athletic sneakers that are designed for running and ventilation. Since the only reason I'm going to be running is.... well, none, running shoes make zero sense. But I do hike a lot and my realtrees are cooler than my boots.

Also I might be getting real tree seat covers for my car if I ever get it cleaned. I want those, because, well, they are camo. I grew up in the country and that's just what you wore if you went out hunting. And yeah, you wore a little blaze too so those idiots from the city (or those local idiots who just got out of the local watering hole) didn't shoot you.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Back in the 90s I went back to collage, one day I was wearing my Mooneyes t-shirt, a young guy walked up and said, "what does that mean?" I said, it means I'm Moon Equipped! Some of you will get it, sorry if you don't, it is funny.
af72c798a83d34a3af49fe1ee852586c_zpslkednh1m.jpg

EngProf

Practically Family
I have a WW1 surplus blanket on my bed right now with a big "U. S." stamp on it, and if that wasn't bad enough, there's a stitched on Quartermaster Corps tag on the corner. When will it end???

Are there any WWI reenactors/collectors in your area? You could probably make a few bucks on that blanket. Ones with QM tags are considered particularly desirable and collectible.

EngProf

Practically Family
Back in the 90s I went back to collage, one day I was wearing my Mooneyes t-shirt, a young guy walked up and said, "what does that mean?" I said, it means I'm Moon Equipped! Some of you will get it, sorry if you don't, it is funny.
af72c798a83d34a3af49fe1ee852586c_zpslkednh1m.jpg

I get it exactly. Back in my hot rod days we noted the appearance of the models in the car magazines who wore the Mooneyes shirts in the advertisements. "Moon Equipped" then became a phrase that we used to describe a well-endowed young lady, whether she actually had a Mooneyes shirt on or not.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Well, as a wise man once said, "it ain't over til it's over." We shall see how it turns out.

On a side note, it's a common meme this week to point out how times have changed since the Cubs' last World Series championship, including the fact that two of the largest countries in the world at the time were the Ottoman Empire and the Great Qing (now the Peoples Republic of China).
My parents and in-laws weren't alive the last time the Cubs won the World Series. They're not alive now. Is that change, or just some ADHDer driving to existentialism? :)

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I also hate the chest thumping and pointing to the sky to give a shoutout to the Big Guy. 1) God doesn't need you pimping for him, 2) He probably has more important things to attend, and ...
Send 'em a letter to let them know how little you appreciate them exercising two of their 1st Amendment rights. Send a couple of others to Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama to complain about their proclamations of faith.

... 3) it's just laughable to think He's a Cubs fan.
I always thought the chest-thump-point, no matter who did it, was a thanks-from-me-to-You, not a claim of fandom.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
Hay hay hay, don't cross the line, read what is prohibited here!
Read it carefully. I made no insinuation about their sincerity of proclamation nor complaint about them nor their politics. It was someone else complaining about public displays of faith. Just trying to point out that if some Americans (and, since we're talking baseball, legal immigrants) should be excoriated for their public displays of faith then the same should be applied to the most powerful in our country.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"And when ye pray, ye shall not be as the hypocrites: for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corner of streets that they may be seen of men. Verily, I say unto you, they have received their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thine inner chamber, and having shut thy door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret, shall recompense thee."

-- Matthew 6:5-6 (ASV)

"And when ye pray, ye shall not be as the hypocrites: for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and in the corner of streets that they may be seen of men. Verily, I say unto you, they have received their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thine inner chamber, and having shut thy door, pray to your Father who is in secret, and thy Father who seeth in secret, shall recompense thee."

As a devout agnostic, that is an example of religion at its best. Wonderful verse.

Bigger Don

Practically Family

What I tell you in the dark, speak in the light; what is whispered in your ear, proclaim from the housetops. -- Matthew 10:27

upload_2016-11-5_13-1-57.jpeg

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Two men went up to the temple to pray, the one a Pharisee, and the other a tax-gatherer; the Pharisee having stood by himself, thus prayed: God, I thank Thee that I am not as the rest of men, rapacious, unrighteous, adulterers, or even as this tax-gatherer; I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all things -- as many as I possess. And the tax-gatherer, having stood afar off, would not even the eyes lift up to the heaven, but was smiting on his breast, saying, God be propitious to me -- the sinner! I say to you, this one went down declared righteous, to his house, rather than that one: for every one who is exalting himself shall be humbled, and he who is humbling himself shall be exalted."

-- Luke 18:10-14, Young's Literal Translation.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112