Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wifebeaters?

Men: Do you wear a so-called "wifebeater" regularly?

• Yes - of course! Just like my father did.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eww.... not for me.

• Sometimes I do, depending.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
carebear said:
They do look good on girls.

Just throwing that out there. :p
If a woman wears one does it become a "husband beater"?

I prefer a v-neck undershirt myself which is always underneath my dress shirt, I wouldn't wear one by itself (except around the house if it's hot).

It seems to me that it's rather unsanitary to wear a dress shirt with nothing underneath. Rather like shoes without socks which is really "ewwww".

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dr greg said:
The only brand considered authentic and 'dinkum' is Bonds, home of the famous Chesty Bond, no relation to James.

That's right, only Bonds will do. Both my Dad and my Mum's Dad (who were friends back in the 50's) wore singlets all their lives. I've got some great old photos of my Pop wearing baggy 40's trousers with a singlet, taken during the hot summer months of the early 50's. He was a wharfie and, although slim, was still wiry and muscular.

The ol' Chesty Bond is a real Aussie icon, built like the proverbial brick outhouse. I can't find any old pictures from the 'net of him to post here, sadly.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I am with the majority here: EWWWWWWWWW! Not for me.
Geez, I live in California. If you need to wear an undershirt in this weather something is wrong with you---hairy like a wildebeast or not. :p

Regards,

J

Trust me, the way you sweat, you need to be wearing an undershirt. All the cologne isn't helping any.:D

Feraud

Bartender
Let's admit it, fellas with the wifebeaters get the ladies..

MURDER_MY_SWEET-77.jpg

MURDER_MY_SWEET-79.jpg

MURDER_MY_SWEET-85.jpg

Roger

A-List Customer
It's all about personal hygiene. Men perspire, the epedermal layers of skin rub off all day long. Sweat and dead skin layers get into an uncovered shirt. Plain and simple. That diminishes the life of a shirt and also leaves odors on the shirt. For those of you who have to use gallons of febreeze on clothes or cologne on your bodies, get a clue; you smell for a reason.

A t-shirt or A-shirt serves as a protective layer that absorbs perspiration and dead skin layers. It can be laundered and bleached much more easily than a shirt. There is nothing more disgusting for a man to take off his suit coat and there's a big wet stain down the spine of his back.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Roger said:
There is nothing more disgusting for a man to take off his suit coat and there's a big wet stain down the spine of his back.

Or to have a big well-set sweat stain on the outside back of his suit jacket.

Undershirts are really non-negotiable.

Canadave

One Too Many
Perhaps this is a fine distinction, but I always understood "wifebeaters" to be sleeveless t-shirts (or t-shirts with the sleeves cut off), not singlets or A-shirts or tank tops. (Doesn't anyone just call them undershirts?)

Anyway, I wear t-shirts under dress shirts in all but summer for the reasons mentioned, PLUS, in the warmer spring or fall days, I can get 2 days of wear out of the dress shirt before it goes to the cleaners.

I could never figure out how singlets protect one's dress shirt from underarm sweat.

David

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Canadave said:
Perhaps this is a fine distinction, but I always understood "wifebeaters" to be sleeveless t-shirts (or t-shirts with the sleeves cut off), not singlets or A-shirts or tank tops. (Doesn't anyone just call them undershirts?)
David

From the first movie I really associate the name with...

ragingbull-1.jpg

czack

One of the Regulars
Words from the Wise.

Consider I sweat like a pig and I'm furry as a gorilla I have to agree with all points. A-shirts don't have enough coverage to prevent sweat/antiperspirant stains or to cover that jungle of chest hair. Undershirts are really mandatory in dress clothes.

Mr. 'H' said:
I always thought that wifebeaters shared the paradox of hats: they keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter.

I never heard of that paradox concerning undershirts. :eusa_doh: Never felt it either. [huh]
If you were hot before, sure add another layer of clothing that will make you feel cooler. :rolleyes: :eek:
A straw hat yes, a felt hat no. :D

Regards,

J

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
jamespowers said:
I never heard of that paradox concerning undershirts. :eusa_doh: Never felt it either. [huh]
If you were hot before, sure add another layer of clothing that will make you feel cooler. :rolleyes: :eek:
A straw hat yes, a felt hat no. :D

Regards,

J

That's why t-shirts are made of 100% cotton, so the wearer doesn't feel the heat.:eek: And it absorbs the perspiration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21