Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Willis and Geiger A-2 alterations

NABodie

New in Town
I've had this jacket for a couple of years now and have been wearing it with the sleeves to long since I got it. It fits really well in the chest and sitting squarely on my shoulders. The jacket is a regular but I am more suited to a short. Now that I have it all broken in and the cuffs are sufficiently tattered to warrant replacing I am planning on shortening the sleeves. The sleeves measure 24 inches from the shoulder seam to the cuff seam and as they are now the leather comes down to my knuckles. taking 2 1/2 inches off will bring the leather up to my wrist. Do you guys think that will be enough off or should I take more. I'd rather have them a little to long than a little to short. The new knits came in today so I plan on dropping the jacket off next week. Looking forward to any input ya'll might have.

26225924979_c9759985cf_k.jpg

37301889284_9d35df78f7_b.jpg

26234747919_ee0cb2b335_b.jpg

37980107502_7217e9f402_b.jpg

Last edited:

Butch_Coolidge

Familiar Face
We would have to see you wearing the jacket to comment. I would however, go to a legit tailor and have them mark the sleeves as they would a suit before deciding. If you shorten them too much, there goes your favorite jacket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You ask an impossible question and even with photos we can only guess. Be very careful.

You say 24 inches has the leather at your knuckles? Sounds odd to me. If you are very short and the jacket is a size 36 - then maybe. Generally a size 40 jacket will have sleeves at 25-26 inches long and many people here would find these too short. I personally like 26 inch sleeves. In a knit sleeve I can wear 27 inches easily.

I agree with getting a professional to measure. What does the sleeve of a jacket that fits you well measure? If what you say is accurate then after alterations your finished sleeve with knits would end up at around 23.5 inches - with the knit.

thor

One Too Many
Nice jacket! One thing to keep in mind: the sleeves taper from shoulder seam down to the wrist/cuff area. If you take 2.5" off at the bottom, the corresponding circumference at the wrist will be wider. It might make the wrist/cuff area too wide and throw off the look and feel of this A-2.
I'd advise that you go to a very good tailor; they may have to re-taper a little of the sleeve width (circumference) in addition to removing 2.5 inches of length.

NABodie

New in Town
Thanks for the input so far, I've added a couple of photos to the original post showing how the jacket wears normally, the total length of the sleeve on me and where my wrist is in the sleeve. The round object under the sleeve is my watch which is where I'm thinking of having the sleeve shortened to.

Hadn't thought about that Thor but that is a good point I'll mention to the tailor.

Last edited:

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think you are probably in the right neighborhood somewhere between 2"-3". I also agree that it's better to err on the long side because a little sleeve tunneling looks much better than taut sleeves with the knits up around your wrists.
Thor raised a good point about sleeve taper and finding a good tailor to assist you. If possible ask around and find someone who is known for their work with leather garments since not all tailors specialize in this.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So what size is the jacket? The photos do help but I would be reluctant to guess the length you should lose. Can you consult a tailor?

kojax

Practically Family
i just got my a2 jacket back from gibson barnes put new waiseband and new cuffs here are pictures
Photo on 10-29-17 at 3.16 PM.jpg
Photo on 10-29-17 at 3.17 PM #2.jpg
Photo on 10-29-17 at 3.16 PM.jpg Photo on 10-29-17 at 3.17 PM #2.jpg Photo on 10-29-17 at 3.16 PM.jpg Photo on 10-29-17 at 3.17 PM #2.jpg

NABodie

New in Town
I'm going to drop it at a local tailor tomorrow Seb. It's a size 40.

Yours looks great kojax!

NABodie

New in Town
....and the local tailor knew nothing about altering leather jackets so I sent it off to Shaul Dover at US Authentic. It was there and back in seven days with the alterations properly taken care of. I could still take a bit off the sleeves but this length seems to work well both standing and in a seated position while driving.

24883334138_f7779e65ec_b.jpg

38756304531_53c9d9c61a_b.jpg

24883345598_aea3a2a190_b.jpg

NABodie

New in Town
I had them take 2" off the sleeves. I felt like that would give me a much better fit but would leave enough that if I needed to I could have more taken later. While they still could be considered long the cuffs don't disappear when standing and they don't pull up onto my forearms when seated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ