Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wind trolley

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
This has probably been covered before, but I had a question, and I couldn't find my answer with the search tool.

Is there anywhere that you can buy a wind string separate from a hat?

The reason I ask is, my birthday is coming up and my parents have made noises about buying me a new (as in actually new, not just new to me) hat, and I thought it would be cool to have one on it.

If so- what would be involved in putting it on? Just a stitch through the felt? or is it more than that?

undertaker

Practically Family
Wind Cord

I don't know about buying one seperate, but I just purchased a new fur fedora from the Fedora Store that has a wind cord. I thought that I noticed a few others He had that were equiped with wind cords as well. Not much help I know but here it is for what its worth.

Regards,
J.S.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
yeah- the hat I think they were thinking of was this one

The thing about this hat that did it for me is the wide pleated band. Any other hats out there with this look?

nulty

One of the Regulars
instead

Contact either Besdor or Duane at the Fedorastore..I'm fairly certainn Duane posted once about being able to add a wind trolley...

Duane If I'm incorrect I apologize......

it's worth a try

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
Wind trolleys

I happen to think they add that extra touch of class to a hat. Last time I was actually in person to a "hat guy," he had dozens of trolleys (elastic type cords with a button at the end) hanging on his peg board. Yes, I think a simple stitch or two through the felt, just under the bottom of the ribbon, is the thing.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
Funny that this post came up now!

I just arrived in the Shetland Islands - wearing my Biltmore Fedora. As soon as I stepped off the boat, a gust of wind blew my lid across a large lot and it continued to skid and roll, pickup up cement dust the whole way. I had to drop all my luggage and vault a barrier marked " No Public Access" and sprint thirty yards to recapture it. I then spent ten minutes cleaning it off!

The irony is the hat has a wind cord! They don't work if you don't use them.

I have experimented and mine now all attach inside the hat, so the cord hangs down behind my ear when I am using them - not over the brim, which occurs when they are sewn under the band and wound around the base.

Greg
currently in the Shetland Islands

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
Windcords

Windcords are mostly used on better hats today . Borsalino uses them and Biltmore will use them on their better hats if you ask for it. If anyone wants one , we can provide them in two ways. One way is where you just slide it over the hat and the other is where it needs to be tacked on to the hat . Just let me know the color needed . They are hard to get today.

Steven

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
How Weird

I just bought a lovely vintage black LEE brand fedora (Adventure model)
44_1.JPG
and it has something I had never seen, a strictly decorative "wind trolley" that was as described here; a black elastic string attached to a button and simply "looped over" the crown. It is entirely cosmetic and unusable as a retaining device... "How very odd" I thinks...

The Duke

One of the Regulars
adamgottschalk said:
I happen to think they add that extra touch of class to a hat. Last time I was actually in person to a "hat guy," he had dozens of trolleys (elastic type cords with a button at the end) hanging on his peg board. Yes, I think a simple stitch or two through the felt, just under the bottom of the ribbon, is the thing.

I agree, it does that extra touch of class for my wormser.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
MattC said:
If you run the cord to the back instead of over the front, they don't look so strange. And they do work.

Amen! Today, I took the Highland Chieftain down from Aberdeen and got off at Carlisle. It was WINDY! Having learned my lesson my hat was secured before I left the train. Once I got out of the station, LOOK OUT! It was so blustery my hat was blown off three times - one time the button actually ripped out through my shirt buttonhole - fortunately after I had caught the hat.

The funniest episode was when a gust from behind blew it out in front of me. As the hat reached the end of the cord, it curved to the left and around the pedestrian walking on my left - the cord nearly garroted him!

Today, I saw two guys wearing hats - both Americans working in the offshore drilling industry in the North Sea. One, a Texan, was wearing some Tilley travel hat, the other - you guessed it - a baseball cap.

Hats, real or otherwise, are very rare here in the UK. Today, a woman on the street I met in a town about fifty miles away saw me and recognized me - I was, of course, wearing a Royal blue fedora both times.

Greg, currently in Carlisle, England.

Yohanes

One of the Regulars
Sorry for bringing up this old thread. Being a newbie, I still don't understand much about this apparatus. Can anyone post detailed pictures of wind trolley, such as how it is attached, how it works, etc? Thanks

apipeguy

One of the Regulars
yohanes! thanks for re-opening this thread...I want to know how they work. never seen one used. I saw a few "Artlights" with 'em.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points