Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Windy Weather, skirts and dresses [huh]

Naama

Practically Family
Hi girls!

The weather is getting warmer over here, summer is coming(?) but the wind is blowing :/ For summer I have a lot of silk skirts and dresses, but the problem, I can't really wear them when the wind is blowin.... :D I don't know.... is there any tip you can give me? I thought about putting some waight in the edge or wearing shorts underneath lol Might sound all ridiculus, but I just don't know what to do.... [huh]

Naama

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Has anyone ever noticed that on the days you wear a circle skirt or wrap dress, it always ends up being extra windy? :rolleyes:

I always wear a slip under skirts and dresses; petty pants (slightly longer than most tap pants) also work. I tend to avoid fuller circle skirts as these really catch the wind; slimmer a-lines are much less likely to catch the wind. You can weight your skirts as well, but I have found that they are no match for a good wind.

decodoll

Practically Family
Yup....and I always manage to be going down the escalator to the BART platform right as a train comes in.... talk about a gust of air going straight up. It's always so graceful trying to keep it all down. But yes.... I usually wear a more a-line slip even with fuller circle skirts and that helps a lot. :)

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That has been happening to me a lot the past week or so:( One dress in particular opened up like a parachute while I was trying to take a walk through the neighborhood. I ended up grabbing the folds of the dress and holding them for the walk home!
I was wearing a slip, so I didn't really get embarrassed. But, there's still something embarrassing when that happens. I'm gonna have to get some of the longer tap pants. Even though a slip keeps me covered there's just something strange about showing it to the world. I'd rather have a pair of shorts showing. I've been sticking to the less fuller dresses. Although it seems that the majority of the spring/summer lightweight dresses I have all have some sort of fullness to the skirt[huh]

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Paisley said:
Where can you get petty pants? I wear tap pants under my skirt when I go dancing, but sometimes they ride up. :eek:

They usually sell them at department stores. JCPenney has these, which can be shortened (similar to the 'Snip-it' slip shown in one of the Photoplay ads Amy Jeane posted); the ones I have came in a shorter, non-adjustable length.

http://tinyurl.com/2syg2b

Joie DeVive

One Too Many
Paisley said:
Where can you get petty pants? I wear tap pants under my skirt when I go dancing, but sometimes they ride up. :eek:

I think I've seen them at larger Sears stores too, but I haven't looked in a while. :)

Grace

Vendor
I live in a very windy place, so I'm always worried about my skirts and dresses blowing up (so far, I've only had 2 major mishaps) :eek:

I am always sure to wear boy cut undies when I'm wearing a skirt that has a good possibility of floating up.

How on earth did Marilyn make it look so good?!

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Wind is my mortal enemy. I hate it more than any other type of weather. Not only does it blow up my skirt at presicely the moment that my hands are full, but it also messes up my well-coffied hair!

I don't wear slips or anything like that. I just use my hand and bunch the skirt up tight against me when the gusts get too heavy. Not very ladylike, I know.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
I live in Chicago, so my skirts are in a constant battle against the will of the winds. I always wear a close-fitting, sheath style slip underneath, so I'm never too exposed if I have a "Marilyn moment." On wrap dresses, I try to use a little hidden pinning from underneath if I can so that the skirt doesn't open up completely. And on the windiest of days, I avoid circle skirts, and sometimes I just abandon dresses altogether and just pair a vintage top with pants/capris/etc.

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I was going to mention this the other day! Oh how I hate a big gust, and as Amy said, the HAIR! Yikes! I suppose I'll have to invest in some scarves.

I don't always wear a slip.. so if I'm wearing a particular dress that I know can flair up, I try and take a purse that is rather large or a has a long strap. This way I can hold it in front of my skirts. It helps somewhat!

Otherwise I'm a holder and buncher as well.

As far as adding weights, perhaps we could make some clip on weights to carry in our purses. This way we can snap them on in a windy spot, just when we need them! Shoot, we could even make them cute, like little fruits or flowers, etc! There could be a big market for them, ha!

Nikki

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
Well there ya go Nikki! Patent the idea and run with it, you'll make millions!lol

For me I make sure my slips and knickers are extra pretty just in case;) lol
and often the wind is cold around here so I have a thigh length jacket that helps hold the skirts respectably low, if it's warm, I do the same as most and bunch up enough fabric in my hands to keep the wind from catching it.[huh]

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Circle skirts are lightning rods for wind, didnt you know! lol

I tend to wear a shaper that extends down half my thigh. I put lace all overi t so its ruffled. Works pretty well from showing all my bits.

But no matter what, seems that wind likes to see a ladies skivies lol

LD

Sunny

One Too Many
It's almost always windy where I am, too. Prairies, you know, nothing to stop that wind for miles. Like others have mentioned, I wear slips and avoid really full skirts. I'm also pretty good at grasping it subtly, or just pressing it against my side as I walk.

Straight skirts, either pencil or the material-saving 1940s skirts, are very good. A-line skirts, like JBD said, stay down better; so do pleated skirts, either all around or with inverted pleats - again, early 1940s.

Something else is the weight of the material itself. A lightweight cotton is going to float upward and outward very easily. Good in hot, still weather; a liability in a strong or gusty breeze. Rayons tend to be light as well. Wools tend to stay down better, even the lightest ones. It drapes so well that there's less space for the wind to catch. Heavier/sturdier cottons, like a twill I have, are also good windy-weather skirts. Count denim in that last category. Even at its lightest, it's more stable than a light printed cotton.

BeBopBaby

One Too Many
Just a thought, I would be hesistant to put weights on the bottom of any vintage dress - it may cause damage to the fabric. Just like you should never hang heavy vintage dresses for storage because it makes the fabric pull apart - a weight at the bottom of a skirt might do the same!

AngieL

New in Town
I always wear a slip under skirts and dresses; petty pants work for me too. I try to avoid fuller skirts. They really catch even the slightest breeze.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
ohairas said:
IAs far as adding weights, perhaps we could make some clip on weights to carry in our purses. This way we can snap them on in a windy spot, just when we need them! Shoot, we could even make them cute, like little fruits or flowers, etc! There could be a big market for them, ha!

Nikki

A big jaw clip (the kind used for hair)? It might be better for bunching than weighting. I think if you used it for weighting, it would just keep swinging into your knees. But if you used it for bunching, it might really hold the fabric in place and leave your hands free.

pretty faythe

One Too Many
I was wondering what to wear under too, not just for windy weather, but for dressess and skirts that dont really call for foundation garments. In the summer I was thinking I really dont want to wear a heavy girdle on my thighs for chub rub when I want to wear a pretty day or summer dress. I'm gonna have to stop by the Boulevard Mall tomorrow, it has Penneys and Sears, see if they have petty pants

Kitty_Sheridan

Practically Family
Yes, this is so familiar to me..
I used to live in Edinburgh and the wind seems to catch there on every street corner!
I worked in a big dept store on Princes St and had to cut down the side to get into the works entrance. Right alongside a taxi rank...Well everyday the wind used to catch my skirt and I'd do that terribly British 'oh gosh..tsk tsk' whilst tugging on my hem and looking stupid whilst the Taxi drivers cheered etc..
One day I thought 'stuff it' and put on fabulous stockings and Tap pants and let the wind do its worst.
Well, the taxi drivers applauded and I gave a little curtsy and carried on into work.
They were always terribly pleasant after that!
[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk